http://soundcloud.com/bestkeptsecret-1/opening-song-idea-revised

So you guys weren't fans of my instrumentation on my first draft of this, so I thought I'd try again. This is the first mix of it so don't be too harsh, I just want to know what I should change before I spend more time mixing it. I spent a lot of time on the string sections, I think they're pretty good for having cheap software. Should I introduce the strings in sooner? They seem to come in a little too harshly, I'll turn them down a bit. I'm a little worried that the beginning section is too quiet now and the main part is too loud. I'll re-record some of the weaker parts of the solo, but I think the LFO Filter was a nice touch. Anyway, I'll stop critting it, you guys go! And C4C as always.
Last edited by rockfan7 at Oct 12, 2011,
I think that beginning bit is too quiet, like you said and maybe a bit on the long side. The drums might be a bit too loud, too. The solo has a few off notes, and the wah seems like it might be a little on the heavy side, but I really like the overall feel of this piece, though. It gives me the feeling that something epic is on the horizon. The discordant piano at the end really brought it all together for me. lol

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487586
I agree about the opening being too soft for too long. You either fatigue the listener trying to hear it, or they turn it up to be startled by the main part of the song. 2 3/4 minutes is a bit long for the build up. And like Misery said I agree the drums are too loud in the mix. Easy things to fix.

No real issues with the wah here. I think it's just a matter of preference. Overall, a nice concept for a song and well done.

Thanks for commenting in my thread.
Flippin' awesome!
i Like the mix, the intro is reallly nice (yep, 3l's-nice),
the part where the drums come in is great, nice strings, i would have liked some louder guitars,
ah there they are, the wah piece is powerful, reminds me of coheed and cambria!
4:50 great! nice job, damn, i'm really impressed(and a little jealous ), this is a great track!

Imo i thought the intro was good at the volume it is. Maybe push up the first 2:50min a liiittle bit but that's it.
Instrumentation in the first 1:50 was really interesting. Maybe the part between 1:50 and 2:50 was a tiny bit too long.
As for the instruments, i would lower the drums a bit and push up the guitar solo.

But overall it's a great composition. good job.
I'm going to come down on the side of those saying the intro is too quiet in comparison. Dynamics are great, but if people end up reaching for the volume knob they're pointless, and that's what i did. It's a little long for my tastes too. I'd prefer louder guitars too; there are points you can barely hear it and it feels like there's a hollowness between the drums and the strings.

Agree though, it's a fantastic song.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!