yeah so which tele should i go for, i thought for the Jim root signature but then thought that would be to heavy any suggestions ? much appreciated
you would most likely need a tele with humbuckers, but budget would be useful because the only one i can think of is the blacktop tele and its pretty cheap
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
What I would do is either get this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Tele-Custom-Electric-Guitar-102452646-i1148532.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Classic-Vibe-Telecaster--50s-Electric-Guitar-104999586-i1400994.gc

If you get the second I would put a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge. It'll be more versatile. That's how I have my MIM Tele set up.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Any Tele except the Jim Root sig, and possibly the Thinline Tele. Just pick whatever Tele is best in your budget.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Blacktop, '72 Deluxe, Standard(with a Hotrails?) Tele's are pretty versitile, if you eq your amp right you could get a pretty good punk tone with a single coil. East Bay Ray from Dead Kennedys pulled it off well. And Joe Strummer.
The deluxe or blacktop would probably be the best bet...

The thinline has humbuckers and I have seen it used in pop-punk stuff but I don't see it working as well for heavier punk stuff.

No budget posted so you could go for G&L guitars as well. They have tele-style ones with lots of pickup options.
One with a HB in the bridge. the rest is up to you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Used Squier Classic Vibe for the Bang for the $$$.

Jim Root Tele if you want something fancier and extremely playable. Heck, a MIJ Fender will do it.

What amp are you using? Even if you had a Twin Jet or a VH4, you can dial down the heavy.

my budget is around £800 so about 1500 in dollars any pickup will do as long as it sounds great for its price
in that case heytobtob, i would tell you to go to your local music store (if you can make it to andertons, then do it. assuming your in england) and play all the tele's. the one i would preffer most, would be a 72 thinline, but a tele custom may be more up your alley.
IMO the stock telecaster configuration will work for most forms of punk. The bridge single coil of a telecaster can get quite mean at times while still having the single coil clarity!
72 Deluxe, 72 Thinline, Thinline Deluxe, Blacktop, that new one in the Modern Player line, the Deluxe with the P90s or any regular Telecaster with a Hot Rails or similar pickup put in the bridge. A JB Jr would be a good choice.
Quote by coolstoryangus
IMO the stock telecaster configuration will work for most forms of punk. The bridge single coil of a telecaster can get quite mean at times while still having the single coil clarity!

This. Humbuckers are not essential, a tele bridge pickup is lovely for most kinds of music.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey