I've been learning guitar and have started to work on my technique a bit more. I have been working on making my left hand finger placement better, example; keeping my fingers from flying everywhere, keeping them close to the fret so they don't move all over the place.

As i've been practicing this though i've noticed a problem with my pinky finger. When i play a note with my ring (fourth finger?) finger i notice my pinky will sometimes "twitch". Sometimes it will really shoot off, usually jerk downward.

It doesn't do this as much if i try to keep my fourth finger really straight when i play the note but it's hard when you have to hit notes on the 6th string. Almost impossible infact.

Any insight into the problem?
Last edited by ac--dc at Oct 12, 2011,
the tendons that control your ring and pinky fingers are connected in your hand, for most (im weird and my middle/ ring are connected) so it is perfectly normal.
i heard it from my dad, whos a doctor, so im assuming its true.
Well that certainly explains why my pinky is having a personal dance party on the fretboard...

Is this triggered by anything, perhaps pressing down to hard on a fret? Any fixes?

Thanks for the help Sanity_Pretense
nope, you're weird if it doesn't happen. look up videos on all the guitar gods, it happens to them too.
as long as it doesn't mess with the strings and slap them or anything it really doesn't need to be fixed, it would cause more strain than it would relieve.
Quote by ac--dc
I've been learning guitar and have started to work on my technique a bit more. I have been working on making my left hand finger placement better, example; keeping my fingers from flying everywhere, keeping them close to the fret so they don't move all over the place.

As i've been practicing this though i've noticed a problem with my pinky finger. When i play a note with my ring (fourth finger?) finger i notice my pinky will sometimes "twitch". Sometimes it will really shoot off, usually jerk downward.

It doesn't do this as much if i try to keep my fourth finger really straight when i play the note but it's hard when you have to hit notes on the 6th string. Almost impossible infact.

Any insight into the problem?

While what Sanity says is biologically true it shouldn't have this effect on your hand, it's more of an independence issue than what you're describing.

What I think is probably happening is you're trying too hard to keep your fingers close to the fretboard which is leading to tension in your fretting muscles. Watch Freepower's videos on finger independence and correct practice (they should be in his sig), use the exercises and tips in there for a while and see if you make any progress.

Remember this key thing: when you take your fingers off a fret you don't need to nor should you 'lift' them, you just need to relax them. That's all; just relax your muscles rather than actually lifting off the fretboard. It's not easy and it takes a lot of practice but it's wonderful once it begins to work for you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You could try some finger independence excersises, because they can help you.

Try this:

1 - index , 2 - middle, 3- ring finger, 4- pinky

You could play chromatic and do this fingerings:

1-2-3-4

1-2-4-3
1-3-2-4
1-3-4-2
1-4-2-3
1-4-3-2

You could also play them on one position and play each shape 10 times.

You choose how you do them.

Hope that helped,

Paul
Quote by apajr
You could try some finger independence excersises, because they can help you.

Try this:

1 - index , 2 - middle, 3- ring finger, 4- pinky

You could play chromatic and do this fingerings:

1-2-3-4

1-2-4-3
1-3-2-4
1-3-4-2
1-4-2-3
1-4-3-2

You could also play them on one position and play each shape 10 times.

You choose how you do them.

Hope that helped,

Paul

Only any good for anyone if you practice them with good technique to begin with.

TS should take those exercises and watch these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhhyrnINIU

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have a similar problem, I curl my pinkie almost under my fretboard in. It gets so spastic that sometimes struggle to get it straight fast enough. Any tips?
Quote by Tw1tch001
I have a similar problem, I curl my pinkie almost under my fretboard in. It gets so spastic that sometimes struggle to get it straight fast enough. Any tips?

Exactly the same as TS, run the same kind of exercises with the same good technique and you'll be fine. The most important part really is that you don't try too keep your finger straight, that'll just introduce tension to your hand and make the problem worse.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Working on finger independence is indeed good you also need to make your pinky stronger:
Do trills

1-4
0-1-4
and with fingers, 1,2,3 on the fretboard - trill with your pinky (4)

i remember the first time i did them.. barely lasted half a minute, afterwards your hand muscles will become way stronger.
it is REALLY important to do them with proper technique, so if you have to start incredibly slow , so it be.
Oh and do spiders that focus on the pinky.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Oct 13, 2011,
Thanks a lot for the posts and video's Zaphod! I'm watching the video's and i'm noticing a couple useful techniques already ^_^