Hey so I have about $300 to spend on an audio interface, preferable a really good one. I just need it to have instrument inputs, microphone inputs, midi inputs, and either usb or firewire. I've been doing some shopping and I just can't decide which one is good or not. I've looked at M-audio, Focusrite, and Tascam and to me they all just seem really good for the same price.

Now I'm not an expert in recording songs, heck I'm actually just a beginner with a very limited knowledge. This audio interface is probably just the first step to recording stuff as my band and I are really wanting to write and record our own material. So if you guys can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Yea my friend has the MXL mics, or at least I think those are it and he's more than willing to let me use them
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Focusrite ftw!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Something from the Focusrite Saffire line would be good. They have rock solid drivers and sound far better than anything else in their price range.

Check eBay when you buy though, they are usually quite a bit cheaper on there for a new one, and you can usually make an offer and get it even cheaper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well I've kind of narrowed it down to some specifics, but I wanna ask first, what is the difference between firewire and usb 2.0?

I ask this because I found a real nice deal on an M-audio fastrack ultra usb 2.0, but I don't really know if I should go for interfaces that deal with usb or if I should go for the interfaces that deal with firewire. I think my computer has a firewire port, but I'm really not so sure as I've never dealt with the firewire ports before.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
For a 2 channel device the difference of USB and Firewire is like nothing. Once you get up to tracking 4 or more tracks at a time then firewire is worth it.
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 13, 2011,
So if I wanted to record the whole band at once, firewire would be better?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by EncoreBlade
So if I wanted to record the whole band at once, firewire would be better?

Yes, I believe so. Once you get over 4 tracks at once I believe Firewire is the way to go. So even if you are just recording drums I would go with Firewire.
So the m-audio fastrack ultra usb 2.0 wouldn't deal as well with that huh? Dang, cause I found one new for under $300 so maybe that would've been a good investment. Do you recommend any firewire interfaces?

EDIT: Also, I just checked my computer's firewire port and under the port it has the numbers 1394. Is this supposed to mean something or is that like a model number or something?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Last edited by EncoreBlade at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by EncoreBlade
So the m-audio fastrack ultra usb 2.0 wouldn't deal as well with that huh? Dang, cause I found one new for under $300 so maybe that would've been a good investment. Do you recommend any firewire interfaces?

EDIT: Also, I just checked my computer's firewire port and under the port it has the numbers 1394. Is this supposed to mean something or is that like a model number or something?

1394 is the standard

I personally can not give you a recommendation as I don't have one, and the one I have used I have heard mixed results on the drivers.

I am sure someone will help you.
B-Stock Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on eBay. $360 or less (if you make an offer and it's accepted).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com