We have a copyright sticky in bandleading that may help answer your questions. One answer would be "most of them time, riffs are not protected by copyright".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Same rhythm, but who cares?

I don't think a band from Bangladesh is gonna make SOOO much money off this song by just plucking a riff from a dead artist.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Sooooooooooooooo not the first time this has happened. I have heard so many rock/metal guitar riffs sampled into pop music it disgusts me. Not because they are sharing the music but because the bands that created it are not getting any mention for it. I was listening to some hip/hop R&B ish song the other day in my sisters car and it hand the riff from Papa Roach's Last Resort as clear as day in it, was like WTF cant you get some kid to make you some sick beat dawg?
Quote by AlanHB
We have a copyright sticky in bandleading that may help answer your questions. One answer would be "most of them time, riffs are not protected by copyright".

thanks for your comment sir. yeah may be the riff is not copyrighted, but i think its really an unfair practice .
Quote by GibsonMan321
Same rhythm, but who cares?

I don't think a band from Bangladesh is gonna make SOOO much money off this song by just plucking a riff from a dead artist.

So true, but i was really surprized to see tht no one even commented anything to that music video(wannabe band)
Quote by ne14t
Sooooooooooooooo not the first time this has happened. I have heard so many rock/metal guitar riffs sampled into pop music it disgusts me. Not because they are sharing the music but because the bands that created it are not getting any mention for it. I was listening to some hip/hop R&B ish song the other day in my sisters car and it hand the riff from Papa Roach's Last Resort as clear as day in it, was like WTF cant you get some kid to make you some sick beat dawg?

hehe i have the exact feeling when i heard this riff lol . everyone knows this riff is a mouth for war. but those listeners were praising like --- very original metal song!! hahaha
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Not at all. Their only similar in playing style. Which isn't saying much because that's a very common kind of riff in the metal scene.

i can only see the difference is some Pinch harmonics, and double bass grooves .

they have said , they are inspired from Pantera(obviously). but this is not inspiration , this is stealing. if not, then everyone can make 100 songs like this with slight variation in a week
Quote by COBHC912
they have said , they are inspired from Pantera(obviously). but this is not inspiration , this is stealing. if not, then everyone can make 100 songs like this with slight variation in a week

How do you think most thrash was made?

trollface.jpg

lolbutforsrs
Quote by DiminishedFifth

trollface.jpg

lolbutforsrs

How do you compose your songs ?
Quote by DiminishedFifth

trollface.jpg

lolbutforsrs

and do you understand the difference between the inspired composition and the stolen composition ??
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I fail to see the relevance, but if you're interested PM me. We're getting way off topic now.

the Relevance is when someone supporting the wannabes, people can doubt the supporter has some originality or not, or why someone would support ?
Last edited by COBHC912 at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by COBHC912
the Relevance is when someone supporting the wannabes, people can doubt how original the supporter is !

It's not my job to say how original I am. That's for other people to tell me (which, by the way, I'm a respected member of the T&C forum for my compositions and how original sounding they are). And I'd be the first to admit I've lifted ideas from bands I liked, but you'd never know unless I told you. That's how a real musician works.

I could care less about Pantera, but at least they're on my Care-o-Meter. That Bangladeshi band? They're not even on there. I don't know them, like their music, nor do I care.

Now before you start claiming I'm "supporting" them as well as implying I don't write my own songs because I happened to disagree with you AND pointed out that the two riffs are in fact different in both rhythm and melody. You know what they have in common? The fact their in the same video and use the same stupid slidey power chord, which - if you listened to music at all - you'd know is EXTREMELY common, especially amongst bands that are inspired by Pantera.
Both seem to be very unoriginal.

This seems to fall under the "Oh well, s#it happens" category.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's not my job to say how original I am. That's for other people to tell me (which, by the way, I'm a respected member of the T&C forum for my compositions and how original sounding they are). And I'd be the first to admit I've lifted ideas from bands I liked, but you'd never know unless I told you. That's how a real musician works.

I could care less about Pantera, but at least they're on my Care-o-Meter. That Bangladeshi band? They're not even on there. I don't know them, like their music, nor do I care.

Now before you start claiming I'm "supporting" them as well as implying I don't write my own songs because I happened to disagree with you AND pointed out that the two riffs are in fact different in both rhythm and melody. You know what they have in common? The fact their in the same video and use the same stupid slidey power chord, which - if you listened to music at all - you'd know is EXTREMELY common, especially amongst bands that are inspired by Pantera.

i know you could less care Pantera!!you have the full right to disagree as well.but someone who don't find difference between similarity and stolen stuffs, they will obviously disagree (whatever) to the wannabe matter.
Quote by AWACS
Both seem to be very unoriginal.

This seems to fall under the "Oh well, s#it happens" category.

then show us from where it has been taken !! lol
I've written riffs that I was later told sounded like some other riff; upon looking it up it was nearly note-for-note. It doesn't always mean that it was stolen.
Quote by ne14t

LAWL!
Quote by COBHC912
then show us from where it has been taken !! lol

Not "stolen" unoriginal, just that its pretty simple where its a power chord for two beats slide to the fifth(?) play that for two beats slide down to the root, play for two beats, etc.

I only have a slight idea what I'm talking about
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Vlasco
I've written riffs that I was later told sounded like some other riff; upon looking it up it was nearly note-for-note. It doesn't always mean that it was stolen.

really appreciate your comment man!! composition can be similar with something, its really natural. coz we know that hundreds of songs are being produced every month ,or even a lot more.

but u have already seen how close it is, the drum parts, the tempo,bass, guitar riff everything is same(except some pinch harmonics). guitar part can be written sometimes note -for note . its more like the whole song part(even for some seconds) has been taken.

Totally agree with u man !! u have my respect \m/
Quote by AWACS
Not "stolen" unoriginal, just that its pretty simple where its a power chord for two beats slide to the fifth(?) play that for two beats slide down to the root, play for two beats, etc.

I only have a slight idea what I'm talking about

Agree with u man , its a pretty simple riff, but when this small riff has been used a lot in a song, then it becomes a big part of that song. take it easy man .
I love how your name is COBHC, yet you're not even bringing up any of the COB riffs that sound like Pantera (just as an example to prove my point). As soon as I heard that riff, I thought "Next In Line". There are lots of bands with riffs that sound at least somewhat like various Pantera riffs. They're simple and heavy, what's not to like about them?
Granted, this one's closer than they usually are. So? Maybe they stole that riff, maybe they didn't. At the end of the day, who gives a flying f**k about some band from Bangladesh?
I've heard this is popular in the J-Rock/J-Pop scene. Bands (I've heard that Puffy Amiyumi has done it) will drop riffs or melodies from bands they admire into their own work as a shout-out to that band. Closer to home, Freezepop has done it at least once - the riff from "Iron Man" made its way into "Get Ready to Rokk".

As long as you don't base your entire catalog on other artists' work I don't see a problem, especially if you're honest about your inspiration. I'm looking at you, Vanilla Ice.
Do we really need to go through the whole Satriani/coldplay thing again?