Turn the amp ALL the way down, then unplug the guitar.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321

That only counts if you're in a band with a bunch of tossers.
Quote by GibsonMan321

Beat me to it
Quote by GibsonMan321

Basically this. Metallica treated Jason like shit and EQ'ed him so low on that album that he might as well not been there.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Play hard with a pick, and use some overdrive. That one sounds like a BOSS ODB-3 to me, which is widely used actually. I could be wrong though :P
Professional lurker since 2009.
If you dont play with a pick you wont be able to get that tone.

Jason Newsteds picking is very shoulder-driven. He uses his should instead of his wrist and thats where the mighty attack and sound comes from.
Ok, apparently Jason doesn't use an ODB-3, but still - that one effect sounds very similar to the tone he achieves here.

According to this, he uses a SansAmp Bass Driver DI and a Big Muff as his distortions, but the tone here definitely sounds like the SansAmp.
Professional lurker since 2009.
fresh roundwounds and a hard pick style attack over the neck pickup will get you most of the way there.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Jesus christ, the amount of sex appeal that bass has almost gave me a heart attack.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Jesus christ, the amount of sex appeal that bass has almost gave me a heart attack.

Idk its hard for me to like fender style basses (regardless of quality) when they have a close but not quite head stock.
Boost your treble and play with a pick with a lot of force behind your picking.

Quote by FatalGear41
Get a Sadowsky.

O_o
I have a new goal in life
Damn that thing looks good.
Jason also uses ampegs. An SVT II with the drive cranked might also be the source of the tone. And I also think that he used either his spector ns2 or his alembic for that album
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Turn up the treble on your amp, get yourself a nice thick pick, add a touch of overdrive and throw your entire arm into the picking motion. Jason also talks about using more upstrokes than down strokes to get more aggressive tone, also try to hit the string a bit closer to the bridge as this usually ads a bit more "punch" the the mix.

Good luck.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
Quote by FatalGear41
Get a Sadowsky.

you know, I've never been a fan of birds eye bodies but damn that is beautiful
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E