Frist psot here.

Completely new to guitar. Playing on a friend's Yamaha acoustic while I learn chords, and am looking for an electric.
Something black or dark (ie no sunburst), I care about styling (need to like how it looks so I'll want to play it these first months while I'm not the best at it) and I'm thinking I should avoid a $125 POS because I have a picky ear for timbre and will notice if it sounds muddy or just poor in general. IE, the $300 acoustics at Guitar Center are very noticeably MUCH better sounding than the $100 ones; same with electric right?

I have no idea what style(s) I want to play and just want to have all options open until I decide which style I feel drawn to. Don't want pickups completely given to metal, but don't want something so good at cleans or blues that I can't do metal.

Can anyone help me out? If I could have a top 3 or 5 list of things to look for on craigslist, I think that's what I'm looking for. ~$400 and under.

finally, I would like to ask why this guy's voice sounds so goofy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9eu3yQewwo
Last edited by rancur3p1c at Oct 12, 2011,
I'd probably pick up an Epiphone Les Paul of some sort but I'm not that wise in beginner guitars.
Alot of squier strats are pretty decent, but if you go that route beware because some are much better than others. You can also get a sweet Dean ML for pretty cheap (which btw are made sweet at home in the USA)
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Quote by Boz0r
I'd probably pick up an Epiphone Les Paul of some sort but I'm not that wise in beginner guitars.

This.
Try the studio deluxe:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-105320576-i1449700.gc#
Best versatility and quality you can get for the price, IMHO.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Order online. Get an agile from rondomusic.com or a Xaviere from Guitar Fetish. Their both really nice sounding guitars. I wish I would have known about these when I first started.

Examples:
http://www.rondomusic.com/product3122.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-500-Carved-Top-Gloss-Black_p_920.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/harm1humwhite.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-550-Semi-Hollow-Carved-Maple-Quilt-Top-Vintage-Natural_p_958.html

There are tons in all kinds of different colours. Really nice looking IMO.
Last edited by MrCloudshoe at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by micromountain37

yes I prefer those (1 and 3) to the more rounded looking Epiphones though the Agile AL-2000 and XV-500 look nice I think I just prefer the sharper angles.

I have found some craigslistings on the RG3EXFM1 but didn't pounce because I thought that was a guitar given to metal and also looked "mass produced"?
Quote by rancur3p1c
yes I prefer those (1 and 3) to the more rounded looking Epiphones though the Agile AL-2000 and XV-500 look nice I think I just prefer the sharper angles.

I have found some craigslistings on the RG3EXFM1 but didn't pounce because I thought that was a guitar given to metal and also looked "mass produced"?

Nah its better suited for metal and shred, but can play anything your amp can dial in.
All guitars in your range are mass produced.
Quote by rancur3p1c

Any guitar in your price range will probably be mass produced. I guess Ibanez can do some rock, but they are mainly suited to metal. They're supposed to play real nice.

Also,

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-G-400-Electric-Guitar-512590-i1531503.gc

Edit: ^yeah that.
Last edited by micromountain37 at Oct 12, 2011,
Tele-fucking-caster
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
I'll second a les paul style. If you know anything about electronics or can solder and follow relatively simple instuctions, look into coil tapping one or both of your pickups. Adds that much more tonal variety.
*insert witty statement here*
The G-400 (above) is a bit brighter in tone and a hell of a lot lighter than a Les Paul, it just comes down to personal preference. I suggest you go to your local guitar center, try out a Squier Affinity Strat, an Epi LP or G-400, and an Ibanez RG. You dont want to be changing your mind AFTER you bought a guitar, so might as well try 'em all. They are all GREAT beginner instruments and you definitely dont wont be dissapointed.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Quote by LZRocker
Tele-fucking-caster

i typed this into craygslist but nobody seems to have this???
Quote by BlindNematode
The G-400 (above) is a bit brighter in tone and a hell of a lot lighter than a Les Paul, it just comes down to personal preference. I suggest you go to your local guitar center, try out a Squier Affinity Strat, an Epi LP or G-400, and an Ibanez RG. You dont want to be changing your mind AFTER you bought a guitar, so might as well try 'em all. They are all GREAT beginner instruments and you definitely dont wont be dissapointed.

I've never used an amp, how do I figure out which I like better? Play it by ear?
Quote by DimebagZappa
Thats the plan. The roland cubes are pretty good bang for your buck.

yeah got a micro-cube Sunday for $60
Quote by rancur3p1c

well most people call it a telecaster......
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by rancur3p1c

lol. Telecaster. You can find used mexican made Fender teles for around 300-400 bucks. I have one as my backup to my American Strat right now. Sounds amazing. If you wait a while one is bound to come up on craigslist. If you can't wait theres a blue Condition A(like new) used one for 430 bucks on Music123:
http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar.site7prod501166.product
(Just click on the buy used tab to the right of the picture and its in there.)
Quote by ac/dcfan5000
Alot of squier strats are pretty decent, but if you go that route beware because some are much better than others. You can also get a sweet Dean ML for pretty cheap (which btw are made sweet at home in the USA)

spoken like a true, black hearted american..

Anyway..

TS, I ad my +1 to the les paul callers..pretty versatile instrument...and I also advise coil tapping the pickups...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Stratocaster is the jack of all trades guitar. Specially SSH setup.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by rancur3p1c
Frist psot here.

Completely new to guitar. Playing on a friend's Yamaha acoustic while I learn chords, and am looking for an electric.
Something black or dark (ie no sunburst), I care about styling (need to like how it looks so I'll want to play it these first months while I'm not the best at it) and I'm thinking I should avoid a $125 POS because I have a picky ear for timbre and will notice if it sounds muddy or just poor in general. IE, the $300 acoustics at Guitar Center are very noticeably MUCH better sounding than the $100 ones; same with electric right?

I have no idea what style(s) I want to play and just want to have all options open until I decide which style I feel drawn to. Don't want pickups completely given to metal, but don't want something so good at cleans or blues that I can't do metal.

Can anyone help me out? If I could have a top 3 or 5 list of things to look for on craigslist, I think that's what I'm looking for. ~$400 and under.

finally, I would like to ask why this guy's voice sounds so goofy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9eu3yQewwo

don't take this wrong but you have a lot to learn. buying a guitar without having at least some idea of what you want will probably result in a waste of money and some discontent.electrics are very different from acoustics so if you are basing all this on them then you need to rethink your strategy. there really isn't a guitar that can do it all and not lean in one direction of the other. some have mentioned a Strat which is about as close as you can get butin the end may not suit what you really want.

i would suggest thinking about what electric guitar players you like the most and see what guitars they are using as a frame of reference. also keep in mind that the amp plays a huge part with electric guitars. once you've narrowed it down some then better advice can be given.
Fat stratocasters IMO are the ultimate jack of all trades.

Les pauls are definitely not and a beginner won't be intending to add coil taps to a lp either i don't think.
your amp will do a hell of a lot more than your guitar and pickups. your amp should be worth at least as much as you're paying for the guitar right now. 50/50 is the rule of thumb when you're talking early-to-mid-range stuff.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.