I know this is a noob question, but its confused me for a while. Are the note placements in a staff for a trumpet (for example) the same as for any other instrument in the same clef (like guitar)?

Example pic from Wiki about Tonality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonality

In the picture on the right there are 3 chords in a staff. The notes I see in the first chord, lowest to highest are: C, F, A, is this correct? That is what I was taught in band class, but each instrument has their own key (most often) so it confused me because it seems like that if each instrument is in a different key, shouldnt the notes be different?

tl:dr: Do notes on the staff for the trumpet = the notes on the same staff for guitar?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
The first chord is comprised of C, F, and A, you are correct.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Most "band" instruments transpose. They read the same note everyone else does - guitarist, keyboards, whatever - but a different note comes out of the instrument.

To use your example, a trumpet player reads a C, does the fingering for C, and the note that comes out is a Bb.

Flute, trombone, tuba, baritone do not transpose.

Clarinet, tenor sax, trumpet - reads C, plays Bb
Also sax - reads C, plays Eb

French horn - reads C, plays F.

Technically, guitar IS a transposing instrument in that it transposes down an octave. Guitarist reads middle C, but plays the C below.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Okay, yeah that makes more sense. To play a concert Bb scale on trumpet, we actually play a C major/minor scale.

Thanks.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I dont get that - the trumpeter does the fingering for a C but the note produced is a Bb? Then surely he read a C and did the fingering for Bb?

Sounds like witchcraft.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
I dont get that - the trumpeter does the fingering for a C but the note produced is a Bb? Then surely he read a C and did the fingering for Bb?

Sounds like witchcraft.

Look up transposing instruments.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Well trumpet is in the key of Bb, but Concert tuning is C. So everything played by trumpet is a half step down from concert tuning.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Well trumpet is in the key of Bb, but Concert tuning is C. So everything played by trumpet is a half step down from concert tuning.

A step and a half, not just a half step.

Quote by rockingamer2
Two half steps, actually.

Bb Half Step B Half Step C

That's, uh, what I meant. That'll teach me to not post while tired.
Last edited by stratdax at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by stratdax
A step and a half, not just a half step.

Two half steps, actually.

Bb Half Step B Half Step C
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by AWACS
I know this is a noob question, but its confused me for a while. Are the note placements in a staff for a trumpet (for example) the same as for any other instrument in the same clef (like guitar)?
You probably know this already, but music written for the guitar sounds an octave lower than it's written. If that weren't the case, the guitar's range would cover the F & G Clef range, as does the piano. Shifting the notation keeps the guitar on the G Clef only.

In other words, "middle C" is actually on the first line below the G clef staff. A "middle C" notation for guitar, is high C for other instruments.
Gah, I'm terrible. Whatever. I just played and I made sounds that fit with the band.

Quote by Captaincranky
You probably know this already, but music written for the guitar sounds an octave lower than it's written. If that weren't the case, the guitar's range would cover the F & G Clef range, as does the piano. Shifting the notation keeps the guitar on the G Clef only.

In other words, "middle C" is actually on the first line below the G clef staff. A "middle C" notation for guitar, is high C for other instruments.

Interesting. No, I didnt know this, not really. I knw the low E on guitar is a long way on the left side of the piano, but it didnt really click until now.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150

Sounds like witchcraft.

Sure is. If you had a melody on a treble clef stave written in C major, and you wanted the trumpet player to play these notes at concert pitch, you will have to transpose the melody up by a step, so the new key signature will have two sharps.