From a peavey tour 700 head and a boss odb-3?
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
He used a marshall guitar amp, which you got. into a guitar cab (don't do it use bass) and played round wounds on a P bass and played hard right at the edge of the neck.

Use search million people ask that.

Edit: with your tour, Idk never used it but same with above boost high and low mids. set the over drive light to medium. you have a great set of gear, use him as a good basis for tone, but unless you're in a cover band, I bet you could make a more personalized tone you'd love more
Last edited by askrere at Oct 13, 2011,
The geezer tone is essentially an over driven tube amp,and his special picking style.
With a tour 700,cut your highs a bit,boost your lows a tad and set the gain fairly high.Set the over drive fairly mild and use it to get a nice smooth drive happening.

But,if you really want to get that sound, use your guitar head instead of your bass head. The sound you seek comes from power tubes.
But also study his picking style.Its an aggresive thump over the 15 fret,rather than conventional picking. There are a few bassists who use this technique.
Scott Reeder from Kyuss,Al Cisneros from Om/Sleep,and a band called sungrazer.All get that warm,smooth,driven sound.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
@askrere: is he using that currently? Cause in the beginning it was Laney amps then not to soon after he started using ampeg(late 70s-early 80s) from pics i've seen. Yeah I was gonna use it as a reference. I've always loved his tone and how everything he plays is always a bit dirty.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
The closest i got was using some light overdrive (or natural tube overdrive) playing a p bass with fingers over the 17th-ish fret. I've covered 'Snowblind', 'Children of the Sea' and 'Hole in the Sky' in live sittuations.

I used my ATK through an Ampeg V4b and a 2x15. I played at the neck, and it was pretty much nailed, spot on.

On the ODB-3; Set everything at noonish... maybe a bit more bass (1 o'clock) boost than trebble (11 o'clock). But the main thing is to BARELY crank the Blend knob... like betweet 7 and 8 o'clock. That'll give you a more organic, and tube-y OD sound.

The ODB-3 is an AMAZING pedal that gets a lot of bad press because people (bassists) don't know how to properly use it.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by CheesyRhino
Don't forget to use a wah pedal.

Whats a decent on for under $150? New or used?
Quote by drugfreeboy
Whats a decent on for under $150? New or used?

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I never did get into the others... Crybabys and Morleys never did it for me.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by drugfreeboy
@askrere: is he using that currently? Cause in the beginning it was Laney amps then not to soon after he started using ampeg(late 70s-early 80s) from pics i've seen. Yeah I was gonna use it as a reference. I've always loved his tone and how everything he plays is always a bit dirty.

I know Iommi used laneys's when he got some money. For Butler IDk about the ampeg, at first he played a down tuned telecaster with a guitar amp, then switched to a beatle bass with a missing G string, until he found the P bass.

since my post it's been said at least 5 different ways but again just so it can be consolidated

. over driven tube amp (guitar?)
. a low mid boosted tone
. more driving bass (P bass)
. He used a 4x12 guitar cab (use any bass cab just don't copy him!)
. play over the necks last frets or right behind

Tips
. He used rounds, but flats can work with his style
. finger or picking with the right EQ'ing can work as well