Page 1 of 2
just re assembled my guitar after installing locking tuners and adding a veneer. string it (it has a vintage style trem btw) and no string is producing any note. its buzzing like crazy and just pissing me off. pretty sure i assembled everything back together right. also, when i took off the neck i didnt adjust it and im worried it has warped one day or another? with the crazy climate in LA i wouldnt doubt it.....but i need serious help here guys if any1 has any idea...
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
as far as more info... the action is touching the frets even i set it as high as it will go... each string is creating a fret buzz/harmonic hybrid that wont mute if u palm mute. ....
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
bringing up a video
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
totally not helping my freak out to being helped ratio lmao
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvtABtS4Tg

it will be 720 in a minute and im sick so disregard the voice but can anyone determine???
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
anything guys?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
if you raised all the saddles then the problem MUST lie in the nut, and if it wasnt doing this before, then the neck itself most likely needs adjusting. try adjusting the truss rod.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
if you raised all the saddles then the problem MUST lie in the nut, and if it wasnt doing this before, then the neck itself most likely needs adjusting. try adjusting the truss rod.

i had previously filed to nut to compensate for 13 gauge strings. could it be that they are seated to low on the nut?

*EDIT* using .11 gauge strings now
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
If you're using .11's now and it was set up for .13's before, then it is DEFINITELY the truss rod compensating for lack of tension from the lower gauge strings. If you are unsure how to properly adjust your truss rod, please skim through this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GD7zXzkrdM
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
If you're using .11's now and it was set up for .13's before, then it is DEFINITELY the truss rod compensating for lack of tension from the lower gauge strings. If you are unsure how to properly adjust your truss rod, please skim through this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GD7zXzkrdM

thing is, ive altered gauges between 10 and 12 without changing anything with the truss rod. the last gauge was 13's for the first time. didnt really need to do anything besides filing the nut a bit.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
any others?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
1 more question, does it matter which saddles i put in which position?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I can't watch the video because I'm posting from my phone, but I will also tell you that I'm 100% sure its your truss rod.

Regardless of whether you had to adjust it with other string changes or not,this time going from 13s (pulling the neck with a fair amount of tension) to 11s (putting considerably less tension on the neck) made a noticeable difference

All you'll have to do is loosen your truss rod, because your neck is likely bowed backwards (the truss rod is overcompensating for the amount of tension you're putting on it)

Putting the saddles in the same place doesn't matter in most cases, but something the height adjustment nuts are different heights. Not a huge deal, but its nice to have in order
Quote by james4
I can't watch the video because I'm posting from my phone, but I will also tell you that I'm 100% sure its your truss rod.

Regardless of whether you had to adjust it with other string changes or not,this time going from 13s (pulling the neck with a fair amount of tension) to 11s (putting considerably less tension on the neck) made a noticeable difference

All you'll have to do is loosen your truss rod, because your neck is likely bowed backwards (the truss rod is overcompensating for the amount of tension you're putting on it)

Putting the saddles in the same place doesn't matter in most cases, but something the height adjustment nuts are different heights. Not a huge deal, but its nice to have in order

ive went back and forth with the truss rod. the most i got was the open strings to ring out.

at this point im pretty sure its the nut because i filed it with....well an angled file so i think the thinner strings im using now are falling in, therefor being seated lower. does this sound plausible?

and also should i have posted this in EG?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Truss rods take a while. You should do a small turn and check it in a few hours. You probably did nothing, honestly.

And you should just go buy more 13's. A new nut and a setup seems like more of a hassle.
Where's Waldo?
Can't you see your problem? It's obvious. Your strings are too damn close to your fretboard. There are only a few things that can do this, neck relief, saddle height and neck angle. Check your relief, google it, I won't walk you through it as it's been outlined a million times over, saddles are all the way up, so that leaves us with neck angle. did you leave a shim out? if it is the neck angle then you'd need to adjust the angle so that the strings sit higher (which should be obvious). Also, your veneer looks pretty nice!
to leviman

yea lol, i would have to be blind to not notice the strings being to close. hence the buzzing.

but if u read through u might change ur opinion on the truss rod being the issue
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Is this the one you were painting? Did you paint the neck pocket? That would raise the neck in relation to the bridge.

Post pics of the strings at the nut, so we can see the distance from the strings to the first frets and then post a pic of the neck in the neck pocket, and then again of the bridge.
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 13, 2011,
i did not paint the neck pocket, it was taped off. but ill post those pics anyway
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Try getting a good pic of the strings in relation to height at 12th fret, and again at the 22nd or 24th.
eh quality pics incoming!

Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Do what I said. The best way to diagnose this is NOT to post pics and say "some one help, I dunno" Look up relief, check yours, if that checks out , move on to the next thing.

u checked out the neck problem and it looks like my truss rod is fine. at this point im almost certain of the nut being the problem due to the crappy way i filed it.

and the pictures were requested by another member so i thought it might just be a bit more helpful.
ty though for the input man
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Similar thing happened when I assembled the guitar I built for the first time. The neck pocket was quite tight (as it should be), but i hadn't screwed in the neck enough, hence it was too high, giving the same problem you had. I just unscrewed the neck, gently but forcefully pushed down on the neck into the pocket, and that was fine. Now I doubt you'll have EXACTLY the same problem (mine was caused by a small neck joint) but you may have something obstructing the neck or something, so it's not sitting flush in the pocket? It might just be me, but it looks in your 3rd and 4th pictures that there is a bit of a gap.
It sounds like your neck is not sitting properly in the pocket.

have you tried removing it and re attaching it?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
so i fixed the problem. wasnt easy and most would frown upon the decision...

took it to samash, pretty good friends with the guy that works there and he was willing to take a look at it. after fussing the truss, action and w/e we both agreed that it was the nut. but i wanted it playable now so we took 2 samash pics and put it between the neck and the pocket to angle it and hey, it plays great now lmao.

only draw backs is that the bridge is basically floating now and all the saddles are all the way up :P
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
so i fixed the problem. wasnt easy and most would frown upon the decision...

took it to samash, pretty good friends with the guy that works there and he was willing to take a look at it. after fussing the truss, action and w/e we both agreed that it was the nut. but i wanted it playable now so we took 2 samash pics and put it between the neck and the pocket to angle it and hey, it plays great now lmao.

only draw backs is that the bridge is basically floating now and all the saddles are all the way up :P

Please tell me you are going to order a new nut. It just sounds like you've used a band-aid for now.
Quote by EspTro
to leviman

yea lol, i would have to be blind to not notice the strings being to close. hence the buzzing.

but if u read through u might change ur opinion on the truss rod being the issue

I highly doubt it's the truss rod, if you had .013's on and didn't adjust, then the neck would be bowing outwards, and you'd have high action, not low action.

It's most likely a nut issue, or a neck angle issue.

EDIT: Your saddle will always be maxed out like that because you have your pickups wayyyy to high, if you lower the saddles, they'll hit the pickups first.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by W4RP1G
Please tell me you are going to order a new nut. It just sounds like you've used a band-aid for now.

yea man definatley not a permanent fix haha. new nut, im still looking for.....and a new file :P

any nuts you could reccomend? how much do good nuts run anyway? like $20?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
And those are good?

Also how do I figure out wat size I need? Wat measurement is used as reference
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Its not the truss rod lol. It might sound like it but if u read through the whole thread you will see how I solved this issue lol.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
And those are good?

Also how do I figure out wat size I need? Wat measurement is used as reference

They are pretty good, but they do take wear, I've had mine on for about 5 years, and it's starting to take some wear, still works good though.

Read this page, it has instruction on how to get the correct size.

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=8
Page 1 of 2