Ok since every major scale has a relative minor scale, does that mean that if you had to solo over a chord progression which is in the key of G, that I can use it's relative minor of Em?
If so, then doesn't that make the piece sound sad instead of upbeat?
The key is where it resolves - does your song sound 'finished'/resolved on the major chord or on the relative minor chord?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by SnowFox234
Ok since every major scale has a relative minor scale, does that mean that if you had to solo over a chord progression which is in the key of G, that I can use it's relative minor of Em?

Consider the implications of your question. If I play exactly the same notes, will it sound different?

The answer is no.

Determining happy/sad, that's up to you and how you use the notes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by SnowFox234

I'll assume you're using the full 7 note scale and not the pentatonic.

It sounds as though you're thinking in terms of scale shapes. If so, then yes, you can use the relative Em....shape, but you won't be playing in Em if the progression is in the key of G Major.

It's all about where the progression resolves. So in this case, if you want to use said shape, you'd be better off thinking of it as G Major shape 6.

Similarly, if the progression was in the key of E Minor, then you'd be using Em shape 1. And if you wanted to use the G Major scale "shape", great, but it will be seen as Em shape 3.

With regard to making it sound sad, it depends on a combination of harmonic rhythm, and melody. When starting out, it's easier to think of major as happy, and minor as sad, but they can also sound the opposite.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 13, 2011,