Hey guys, so I'm thinking of making a small pedalboard, now the thing is that parts are really hard to find here so I was thinking probably a simple wooden board, spray painted, pedals would be attached via velcro I think and also I'd probably install some LED lights to know which pedal is where in darker environments since I do some major pedal-dance thru out petty much every song. And it'd go into a bag not a case.

So far the questions are:
1. how much of a strong wood do I need? I'm not too much of a hard stomper but who knows what could happen? I guess a 1/2" (or less may be 2/5" ) plywood won't hold up if it has the frames from the outside only?

2. will this thing work as a velcro alternative? (does anybody have experience with it?) or should I get something else? (link please)
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Grip-Pedalboard-Velcro-Alternative-Mounting/dp/B004ZKIHVU/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1318498957&sr=1-2

so far this (i'll have more and more questions alter I guess)

oh and it's gonna hold only 4-5 boxes + 1 wah
Wouldn't it be easier for you to buy a cheap pedalboard case and focus on arranging pedals on it? I mean it's not a fortune: a Kinsman case costs about 50 euros (that's maybe 70 USD). You get a board you can fix your pedals on, and a sturdy metal case for carrying them to the gig and back home. That's how I solved this problem.
yeah dude just buy a cheap pedal board. Then get a power supply or 1 spot. It is going to keep your pedals safe and organised. Better than anything you can build (at least for the same price)
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
well I do have a 1spot already. the thing about pedalboard is that I'm trying to keep it as low on budget as possible since I also have to get my main instrument refretted which is expensive

and getting a pedalboard from USA or something is gonna be a tough call due to it's sizes and weight plus shipping is impossible and asking someone to bring that big of a thing is kind of not likely
you could buy one, I personally use the Gator Pedal Tote with the G-Bus power supply (super clean power supply btw) which is probably going to cost you as much as it would to build a high end one.

However if you want to build one here are a few tips:

1/2" Ply is gonna be plenty solid enough, even if you just have a board and 2 wedges on the sides
the pedalboard tape is far superior to velcro
unless you have some high quality electronic components you're gonna get a cleaner power supply buying one than building one
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by GABarrie
you could buy one, I personally use the Gator Pedal Tote with the G-Bus power supply (super clean power supply btw) which is probably going to cost you as much as it would to build a high end one.

However if you want to build one here are a few tips:

1/2" Ply is gonna be plenty solid enough, even if you just have a board and 2 wedges on the sides
the pedalboard tape is far superior to velcro
unless you have some high quality electronic components you're gonna get a cleaner power supply buying one than building one

ok that makes sense, as I said I've got a 1spot and it does the job pretty well to me right now

as for the pedal tape, I think I'll just get that one!
One alternative to velcro you might want to explore is bicycle chain links. They're metal figure-8s that you can use as mounting brackets, just attach one loop of each figure-8 to each of the screws holding the bottom plate of the pedal in place. You then attach the other loop to a wooden board (such as this DIY build: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/153763-my-do-yourself-ikea-pedalboard-build-thread.html) with another screw. Mounts the pedal to the board securely without damaging it or leaving glue, should you want to protect it's resale value.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1