Poll Options
View poll results: Family or music?
**** family. Go to the damn concert. :D
40 58%
Family first bro.
29 42%
Voters: 69.
So guys I have a problem.

Octoberock for my school is on the 29th (Evening). And by some damn luck my flight to Singapore for a family is also on the 29th (6AM). I've been doing some research and the next available flight if I delay mine is on February 2012. I've been panicking for the past week and I hope by some chance something happens.

Don't say stuff like "Family first" or "That's just a performance". I revere being able to perform in Octoberock as a great honor. Out of 32 who auditioned, only 12 made it. Besides, you get to do it only 5 times in your life (my 5 years in college). And my band has been preparing for it for a year and we made it in.

What would you do?

TL;DR

Either I go with family and miss out the greatest rocking moment of my life or I go perform the shit out of the crowd and miss one family vacation.

Cheers,
niejel
Last edited by niejel at Oct 13, 2011,
Stay at home and crack one off

It's up to you pal we can tell you but at the end of the day you will make your own choice
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
If it were me, I would chose the concert. My family can go to hell.

But it's your choice and maybe you are closer to your family than I am to mine
ggg1 ggg3

Didn't vote, it seems like you've made the decision already and you know it.
It's really obvious which option you'd prefer.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Are you sure you've researched your flight properly? Why the hell would the next flight be months away, do you live in Greenland or something?

I think you have made your mind up, but all might not be lost, you could take a different flight and transfer maybe, for the day after your concert. Something is seriously wrong if there is only one flight every 6 months to a place.
^ It's not a shitty HS concert. You get to perform. The feeling is euphoric.

@behind_you: No I am not. In fact, I'd choose the concert.

@Mistress_Ibanez: It's not really the "flight", but all flights are booked up until February. I live in the Philippines, and it's peak season from November (All Souls Day and Week Vacation), December (Christmas), January (New Year) and February (Chinese New Year).
Quote by niejel
^ It's not a shitty HS concert. You get to perform.

I know there's probably more to this, but...

WUT?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I'd go the concert, if it were me. Thats a year of prep down the drain otherwise. Singapore will still be there when you're done :-)
Quote by niejel
@behind_you: No I am not. In fact, I'd choose the concert.

I know how you feel bro
ggg1 ggg3

Agree with pretty much everyone else. You're not looking for an answer to whether you should go or not, you're looking for validation in staying home to perform.

I say that its entirely your decision. If you want to perform then your family cant make you go to singapore. But if its an important family thing then you have to decide whats more important to you. If its just a vacation though and your family dont mind you staying then you have to decide whether performing or singapore are more important.
The solution is to have your lazy Singaporian(?) family come to the show.
Check out my band Disturbed
Drive to your family/another airport after concert, problem solved

you get the bessssssttttttttt of both worlds
Quote by Lowie18
I'd go the concert, if it were me. Thats a year of prep down the drain otherwise. Singapore will still be there when you're done :-)

Exactly my argument.

Quote by rockingamer2
I know there's probably more to this, but...

WUT?

It's like you're the main event. People are looking forward to me to perform. I know, what the **** are you saying niejel, you airheaded dumbass, but last year, before we performed, the crowd was just going with the flow, just clapping and stuff, but I made Octoberock adrenaline filled with my antics. I threw my guitar, I jumped around the stage, played it over my head (putting your guitar on the back of your neck), so yeah, the crowd went wild. Our line up was Thunder (Boys Like Girls), Love Story (Taylor Swift rock version) and Dear Maria, Count Me In (All Time Low).

So yeah, our band is kinda like pussy - oriented.

Quote by rockfan7
Drive to your family/another airport after concert, problem solved

you get the bessssssttttttttt of both worlds

The flight's 6AM, and the concert's 6PM.

Quote by guy_tebache
Agree with pretty much everyone else. You're not looking for an answer to whether you should go or not, you're looking for validation in staying home to perform.

Yeah.

Quote by StewieSwan
The solution is to have your lazy Singaporian(?) family come to the show.

It's a family vacation.
Last edited by niejel at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by intothe
Didn't vote, it seems like you've made the decision already and you know it.

Was gonna say this. You've made your decision.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by niejel
Exactly my argument.

It's like you're the main event. People are looking forward to me to perform. I know, what the **** are you saying niejel, you airheaded dumbass, but last year, before we performed, the crowd was just going with the flow, just clapping and stuff, but I made Octoberock adrenaline filled with my antics. I threw my guitar, I jumped around the stage, played it over my head (putting your guitar on the back of your neck), so yeah, the crowd went wild. Our line up was Thunder (Boys Like Girls), Love Story (Taylor Swift rock version) and Dear Maria, Count Me In (All Time Low).

Yeah.

It's a family vacation.

Well, I'm not aware of any bros before hoes guideline concerning family...

I kid. But it seems you have made up your mind already and you're just trying to convince yourself this is the way to go because you have a little inkling inside of you that says you should go with your family.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
man, that's tough. I'll say this. if music for you is a hobby and you have no dreams of trying to make a career out of it, I say go with your family.

If you have plans to make a career out of your music, your family better get used to it. in that case, play the show.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by kurt_cobain9
man, that's tough. I'll say this. if music for you is a hobby and you have no dreams of trying to make a career out of it, I say go with your family.

If you have plans to make a career out of your music, your family better get used to it. in that case, play the show.

This.

However, you have already made up your mind. A trip to Singapore will be better than a HS concert, and that's what it sounds like and probably is. You said the crowd really get into these performances: if the crowd don't get into it then it is a shitty concert. Either way, I can guarantee that you will have another opportunity for playing live. Singapore on the other hand...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 13, 2011,
This isn't really a choice between family or music, this is just a minor, minor annoyance.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
This isn't really a choice between family or music, this is just a minor, minor annoyance.

Major annoyance.

And it's college.

Quote by michal23
Dude, family or not, a trip to Singapore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a shitty high school concert.

This. Its not exactly an amazing concert its just a school event.

Hardly will be your 'greatest rocking moment'.

Family <> Event
I don't get to perform live that much, considering I'm a major in Accounting and will further be taking up Law. We're mostly studying stuff I don't really have an interest so yeah, I only get to perform at this college event for 3 more times including this, since I'll graduate in 3 years.

But Singapore on the other hand . . .
Meh, I always got out of family holidays. Not sure why you're excited about this school thing though.
Go on holiday. If you decide not to, make sure you discuss it with your family and make sure they're ok with it, if they're not then you need to just go on holiday with them. A shitty gig is not worth falling out with your family over.

My advice would be to go to the concert. It sounds like a big deal for you, you've worked hard for it, and it doesn't sound like it comes around often.

Explain to your family that it's important to you.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
So guys I've done something.

I moved the flight to the 30th so I can perform by the 29th. My parents grudgingly agreed to it. :lol:

So thanks for the opinions. Really helped get things off my mind. Cheers. :3
Quote by Lowie18

Wouldn't count on it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by niejel
Exactly my argument.

Yeah.

It's a family vacation.

You need to go play man. One great rock show can change the world. No but seriously after reading that one great rock show can change the world