Whats a sure fire sign that I should change my valves? I've been getting a lot of hum and noise coming from my rocker 30 and the low end is sounding really muddy. What other ways are there to tell that they need changing?

Also, would you recommend I do it myself? Or should I take it to a shop?

Should I buy specific valves or will any old pair EL34 valves do?

Bare In mind I know NOTHING about this sort of stuff as i'm sure you can already tell

Thanks, Jamie.
Free bump here. Keep in mind, I am not an amp tech and I have no direct experience with the Rocker 30.

Knowing when to change valves?

Preamp valves go bad they make funky noises. Scratching. Popping. Funky stuff. If you take a pencil and tap on them while the amp is on with the eraser end and you here the tapping sound come through the speaker then it may be bad. I have a video demo'ing this if you like. You can also just buy a few ECC83s (12AX7s) and start swapping them around. It is always good to have extras of these anyway. I recommend JJs, JAN, and Penta.

Power valves go bad they loose volume. They can also sound duller. Buy power valves in matching pairs. If you can - tell the supplier what you have. I recommend JJ, SED =C= and possibly RubySTR.

With what you described it is hard to say. If you have had the amp a while it may just be time for all new tubes. I typically do not recommend a full re-tube though as I only replace preamp tubes when they need replacing.

I don't know if this amp needs to be biased when changing tubes but chances are it does. I have more info on this if you are interested. It is not too terribly hard to do but it can be dangerous. Muddy tone tells me the amp may just need a re-bias but it is really hard to diagnose this stuff over the internet.

Take in some of what I said and then maybe we can help you take it to the next step.

If it were my amp, I'd rebias it and swap some of the existing preamp tubes around. If that didn't help, I'd buy a matching pair of JJ EL34s and 1 or 2 ECC83s.

check www.hotroxuk.com

(not sure where you live - taking a guess here)
The Rocker is cathode biased. Yeah, a cathode biased EL34 amp!! Who woulda thunk?

just buy a matched pair. I recommend JJ. SED =C= are better but not twice the price better. Just get a matched pair and shove 'em in. It's always good to have spares even if it turns out the originals are still ok. Grab a couple of JJ ECC83S tubes as well. You need spares, that's the definitive way to test if a valve is dodgey.
Orange come with JJ from the factory afaik.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Rocker is cathode biased. Yeah, a cathode biased EL34 amp!! Who woulda thunk?

just buy a matched pair. I recommend JJ. SED =C= are better but not twice the price better. Just get a matched pair and shove 'em in. It's always good to have spares even if it turns out the originals are still ok. Grab a couple of JJ ECC83S tubes as well. You need spares, that's the definitive way to test if a valve is dodgey.
Orange come with JJ from the factory afaik.

Mine came with EHX
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
Mine came with EHX

JJ are the right valve for them though, regardless of what some have. Orange just screams JJ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh yeah man I'd totally agree. I wish mine had come with JJ but oh well. Anyway, TS, if your Orange didn't come with JJ, I'd put some in regardless of the life of the current tubes. Even if your current ones are fine, they'll serve as good backup.
Ben
Quote by Cathbard
JJ are the right valve for them though, regardless of what some have. Orange just screams JJ.

This

JJs are t3h awesome in Oranges.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb