ive noticed my friends who have smaller hands than i do can stretch a whole lot further on guitar. so it got me thinking, how much flexibility vary in certain people.

so whats your hand length and how far can you reach on the neck (normal scale size)?
I've observed that usually people with larger hands can stretch more.

I can go from the 1st fret to the 5th fret with some difficulty.
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
I can go between the 1:st and 5:th with no difficulty on my baritone, I have pretty large hands. I would say that if a person can stretch longer with small hands it's just on an individual level, i.e. he is just nimbler than you.
I have fairly large hands. Can reach index and ring finger or pinky from 1st to 5th comfortably. Index and pinky from 1st to 6th uncomfortably... not that there's really ever any need for it.
Stretching comes down to technique - if your technique is good you should be able to stretch as far as anyone else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i have fairly big hands and can do a clean 1 to 6 fairly easily and a clean 1 to 7 at a push.
1st to 5th easily 1st to 6th not easily
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
I have fairly small hands I think.. Maybe they're average, I don't really know.

I would say 1st to 5th is pretty average, and it's as far as I could go 'comfortably', without practice..
I probably have bigger hands than Shawn Lane but I can't do this at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f2Jq10j1ms

Really it's a combination of length and stretchiness.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
On bass I can comfortably go from fret 1 to 5. 6 if I must, but thats sketchy. My hands don't seem large.
1st to 12th in 2.3 milliseconds.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I have small girly hands but I can stretch my pinky to thumb at around 180 degrees. I think that's because people with small hands have to compensate their size for flexibility.

I actually have chimp hands. Big palms short fingers
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Last edited by Grimriffer at Oct 13, 2011,
I have normal size hands but real long fingers. I can do 1st to 6th no problem. If i have to I can muster the occasional 7 fret stretch
ggg1 ggg3

I have tinier hands than a lot of girls. That's not a good thing, since a lot of girls find huge manly hands sexy.

I can stretch from 1 to 6 on a Gibson scale neck.
The longer your fingers are, the greater potential you have to reach further. However, people with ridiculously tiny-arse hands (like myself) are often motivated to strive to stretch further, just to prove they can, whereas those with longer fingers don't have that motivation, so unless they are otherwise driven, they don't bother or try to reach further, because they don't generally have to.

It's like in sport. We used to have one very tall girl in my volleyball team. who was actually a terrible blocker/outside, because she never jumped. She was already tall, so she didn't have the inclination to jump further, though that would have made her a killer attacker. Everyone else, who spent their time peering up at the top of the net through the misty clouded heights (okay, I'm exaggerating here) had to jump, so tried harder, and ended up having far better jumping reaches than the tall girl ever did.

More psychology than a mathematical size:flexibility correllation.
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
Quote by miss_muso~
The longer your fingers are, the greater potential you have to reach further. However, people with ridiculously tiny-arse hands (like myself) are often motivated to strive to stretch further, just to prove they can, whereas those with longer fingers don't have that motivation, so unless they are otherwise driven, they don't bother or try to reach further, because they don't generally have to.

It's like in sport. We used to have one very tall girl in my volleyball team. who was actually a terrible blocker/outside, because she never jumped. She was already tall, so she didn't have the inclination to jump further, though that would have made her a killer attacker. Everyone else, who spent their time peering up at the top of the net through the misty clouded heights (okay, I'm exaggerating here) had to jump, so tried harder, and ended up having far better jumping reaches than the tall girl ever did.

More psychology than a mathematical size:flexibility correllation.

That's a good way of looking at it but it didn't apply to me when I started out even though I have long fingers.
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Oct 13, 2011,
I have small hands but I guess I have somewhat long fingers. Comparative to hand size, anyway. I can do an index-to-ring-finger stretch from 1st to 5th fret, and index-to-pinky from 1st to 6th.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
i thought this was gonna be about fapping
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Well, if we determine the radius that the carpometacarpal and metacarpal joints can extend to a confortable degree, taking into consideration the length of the fingures of the individulal, we come up with

R = r(c) * r(m) + l(f)

let:
R = reach
r = radius
c = carpometacarpal
m = metacarpal
l(f) = length of fingers.

There we have a pretty simple equation to determine your reach
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Are you kidding me? I have small hands and I am not flexible at all. Well, I'm full-body flexible, but my hand is stiff as heck ;(
Have you ever seen someones right middle finger touch the back of his right hand? How about seen an arm twisted 720 degrees?

You've never seen me, them.

*Insert 3rd douchey comment here*

EDIT: Tried just now, stretched from the 1st fret to the 6th fret on a bass.
People believe me to be a freak at school. Then I say twist my arm and they shut up.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Last edited by S0n1c '97 at Oct 13, 2011,