I'm trying to get started with recording. I bought a Sterling ST51 condenser and a Shure SM57 from eBay, along with a M-Audio Fast Track Pro. As you might guess, I'm trying to get a basic home recording setup for as cheap as possible, without buying anything terrible/useless I'll have to replace immediately. I plan to record my own guitar, vocals, and piano.

How much should I spend on microphone stands? I don't want stands that commonly break through normal use, nor do I want top-of-the-line stuff.

What features am I looking for? I'm asking you. All I know is I'll probably need a tripod with a boom, so that I can easily store it and mic the guitar amp.

Any eBay auctions you'd recommend? I'd prefer to buy used. For some reason, there aren't many microphone stands on eBay. Most of the ones listed are Buy It Now auctions for $12 nameless Chinese stands, so I'm tempted to steer clear of those, but I don't know what I SHOULD be looking for. It seems like microphone stands are an afterthought for most musicians. If that's the way it goes, great, I just don't want mine to break.
My gear:
Fender Showmaster FMT HH
BC Rich Avenge
1971 Gibson SG Pro
Vox Valvetronix VT100
1980 Martin D-18 (message me if you're in the market for one; my tiny fingers would prefer a Taylor)
Celebrity Ovation
Have to admit, my mic stands were pretty much just the afterthought that you're assuming them to be - I just found a couple of decently priced ones on eBay. I've had them several years now and they're still going strong.

I wouldn't recommend the Chinese ones though, get them from your own country just in case you do need to send them back.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you're just looking for a stand to mic amps you can get a solid desk top mic stand for 10 or 15 bucks and just put it on the floor. I've got one- it's really simple but it gets the job done. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Stage-DS7200B-Adjustable-Microphone-Stand/dp/B0002M3OVI/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

edit: wouldn't really work for vocals and piano though.
Last edited by CavemanJB at Oct 13, 2011,
Cheaper stands will last long enough if you take care of them. Just remember to loosen them before adjusting.