Hey,

OK so I'm looking to get myself a custom amp, and a have a few questions/specs etc that I could do with discussing.

Firstly, my plans. I'm looking for an amp very good tight bass response. I play in a two-piece with no bass player, so I'm looking to beef up the low-end as much as possible.

So my plan is to go for a 2x12 (so it's still portable as possible), closed back, loaded with probably a Celestion V30 and then some sort of bass speaker as a second speaker. Would most likely be running some sort of Orange head into this (a Thunder 30 most likely), and maybe an octave pedal for occasional bass drops.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to go about this? Would it be better and/or cheaper to get a custom amp built, or just buy a 2x12 and swap in the speakers I want? I'm based in Scotland so any custom amp recommendations would preferrably be closer, I know about Flynn Amps but any other recommendations?

I was also looking at the Matamp site and noticed they stock 2x12s that are built one on top of the other rather than side to side. I was thinking, would that be better for balancing the bass/guitar speaker mix? So maybe but the bass speaker on the bottom so it travels through the floor and keep the guitar at my ear height, and also means they can be seperately mic-ed at gigs to balance each level.

I'm open to any suggestions about speakers, ideas to thicken out my sound, even octave pedal recommendations (I know there's the Digitech and everything but I'd probably more be looking for a simple stomp-box that would harmonise an octave down, and maybe also just do a straight octave tone. Preferrably true bypass too) and any other comments.

I play mainly math-rockish stuff, but the noisey end of that. Looking for a clear, tight response, but that doesn't sound too thin without the bass behind it.

Cheers.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Oct 13, 2011,
Do you mean amp or cabinet? You listed an Orange Thunder 30 head, which would kinda defeat the purpose unless you want to run multiple amps.
Quote by Ghold125
Do you mean amp or cabinet? You listed an Orange Thunder 30 head, which would kinda defeat the purpose unless you want to run multiple amps.

Well most likely a cab, but if it'd be cheaper or more beneficial to have a combo (if the EQ could be wired to be more bass-y or something) then I'd be open to a combo. It does just increase the weight though, and obviously means you're bringing all of nothing to a show rather than having the option of just carrying the head.
the guy from tone monk makes awesome amps his number is on their website give him a call he can do anything
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Quote by fmonzo27
the guy from tone monk makes awesome amps his number is on their website give him a call he can do anything

I'm in the UK so that's a bit far I'm afraid.
Ok so I went in to talk to Flynn Amps today and got given some very interesting advice.

Firstly, he was saying the Cab above could be built, but he also recommended simply getting an additional 15'' Bass speaker and using it as an extension for the VK.

He then showed me an Ashdown head with Sub-harmonics, and played a guitar through it. It sounded amazing, and I'm now really considering a bass amp head. However would it be safe to put this through a guitar speaker, or should I go for a bass speaker too? Or would that be too bassy? Also, I would then need to consider a distortion.

Any suggestions based on the above?