I read somewhere online that a Charvel guitar that says made by Charvel/Jackson (Charvel guitar letter logo) is not a real Charvel.
Is this true?
Cusp of Magic
The history of Charvel/ Jackson company/ ies is full of such controversies, because both Wayne Charvel and Grover Jackson were luthiers, not businessmen. The mastermind of their combination was Charvel, and the workshop started as Charvel indeed, but then the commercial skills of Jackson appeared as slightly better than Wayne's, so the company was actually baptised - at the beginning of the '90s - Charvel/ Jackson. I've seen a budget Charvel from 1993, and on its pickups there was Jackson's logo. So I presume a guitar badged Charvel/ Jackson must have been produced somewhere between 1990 and 2000.
But you don't decide whether a guitar is true or fake upon its badge. I guess you can be pretty sure this one's genuine, because the Chinese weren't aware of the existence of Charvel/Jackson company at the time when it existed.
Anyway, both Charvel and Jackson are now in Fender's stable, where they originated from (Wayne and Grover, I forgot to say, were formerly Fender employees).
Well, its a Charvel model 4, 1986.
It's made in Japan with USA parts.
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a cheap guitar or something because it has Jackson in the name, on the tuners, and (used to) on the pickups.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Well, its a Charvel model 4, 1986.
It's made in Japan with USA parts.
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a cheap guitar or something because it has Jackson in the name, on the tuners, and (used to) on the pickups.

ok a little clarification on a few points. while the kahler is US made the rest of the guitar is japanese. as i mentioned when you were thinking of buying it the list price in the late 80s for it was $799 (just as much as a US made Strat Plus) figue they sold for about $650 (at least here and my memory isn' twhat it used to be but i'm sure i'm close).

Charvel was started by Wayne Charvel as a replacement parts company. in the late 70s and early 80s they started to make guitars. in the mean time grover Jackson came to work for Charvel. Wayne wasn't a very good business man and ended up selling the company to Grover. Grover stuck with the Charvel name but made a few custom guitars for stars like Randy Rhoads on these guitars he used the Jackson name. thye took off and he eventually went to being just Jackson with the Charvel name being relegated to mostly cheaper guitars in the early 90s (toothpaste logo as opposed the the way cooler guitar shaped logo)
So, the toothpaste logo is associated with cheaper Charvels?
Mine has the Charvel guitar shaped logo and beneath it By Jackson/Charvel.
And I said USA parts relating to the Kahler and supposedly J200 stacked humbuckers in the neck and middle.
The stock humbucker was replaced with a Dimarzio Megadrive, but it's made in USA.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
So, the toothpaste logo is associated with cheaper Charvels?
Mine has the Charvel guitar shaped logo and beneath it By Jackson/Charvel.
And I said USA parts relating to the Kahler and supposedly J200 stacked humbuckers in the neck and middle.
The stock humbucker was replaced with a Dimarzio Megadrive, but it's made in USA.

yeah the toothpaste logo is on the cheaper guitars although there were a couple of really good models made during that time as well. the dimarzio doesn't count as that is an after market pup. never heard that any of the pickups were US made for that model but i'm not an expert so maybe. the Model 1-6 series were excellent guitars so you have no worries. my #1 guitar from 1988-2007 was a Model 2 (despite also owning a LP) served me well. the only reason i don't have it is that i decided i needed a total change and went with SSS strats and no more locking trems.
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah the toothpaste logo is on the cheaper guitars although there were a couple of really good models made during that time as well. the dimarzio doesn't count as that is an after market pup. never heard that any of the pickups were US made for that model but i'm not an expert so maybe. the Model 1-6 series were excellent guitars so you have no worries. my #1 guitar from 1988-2007 was a Model 2 (despite also owning a LP) served me well. the only reason i don't have it is that i decided i needed a total change and went with SSS strats and no more locking trems.

that's true for sure.