Hello. I am looking for a pedal that slightly boosts the gain a tad, but more volume, specifically for solos. I want the distortion sound out of my amp and dont want distortion from pedals. A tubescreamer? or would that not work and act as a distortion? I really want a bluesy sound so just a need a little kick!!!!Thanks
i like to use a compressor for my lead boost, i just set it so the pedal will make my sound a little bit louder, and i use it for that and not so much the actual compression. something i found out by accident and really liked it, so just play around with a couple pedals and see what you like!
An OD will do that perfectly. Depending on what you want to spend the Fulltone OCD is awesome.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
just bear in mind if you're getting a lot of preamp distortion from your amp, an od boost in the front (or any boost in front, for that matter) mightn't increase the volume all that much.

a clean boost in the loop might work better.

though a tubescreamer in front is a classic boosting technique, and does generally work pretty well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
tubescreamer!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I use the Boss super Overdrive SD-1 as my boost, but if you can afford a tubescreamer than go for it.

EDIT: for a bluesy sound though a tubescreamer may be a little to much, but I would try one out first and find out xD
Last edited by dominodom at Oct 13, 2011,
Tubescreamer is your best bet, what amp are you using tho?? If it is into a solid state amp it will sound like crap
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by lespaulyman
what about the seymour duncan pickup booster???

That would be an option since it's built as a decibel booster.

What are you willing to spend on a pedal?
Another popular option similar to what Dave said is to put an EQ in your loop. It won't really add gain but you do get the capabilities to fine-tune your lead sound. Just a thought/suggestion.
Ben
Last edited by muffinman123192 at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by muffinman123192
Another popular option similar to what Dave said is to put an EQ in your loop. It won't really add gain but do get the capabilities to fine-tune your lead sound. Just a thought/suggestion.

+1
great suggestion.
You can boost the level and mids and have your solos really cut through the mix.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Quote by Sputnik1
That would be an option since it's built as a decibel booster.

What are you willing to spend on a pedal?

i'm not sure that matters... hit the front end of an already distorted amp with a "decibel booster" and it's going to add distortion more than volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by muffinman123192
Another popular option similar to what Dave said is to put an EQ in your loop. It won't really add gain but you do get the capabilities to fine-tune your lead sound. Just a thought/suggestion.

The MXR 10-band EQ has knobs for gain and volume, too. But I guess its better used to shape your tone.

I'd get this and a tubescreamer, if I had chacheng.
^Yes but since it's in the fx loop it'll be going straight into the power amp, at which point it'll be harder to get distortion, especially with an amp that has a lot of headroom.

EDIT: Or should I say, a desirable distortion.
Ben
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure that matters... hit the front end of an already distorted amp with a "decibel booster" and it's going to add distortion more than volume.

It's a clean boost. The volume gain is measured in decibels. Its not distortion. Yes any clean boost of a signal is going to drive tubes harder and give it a bit more overdrive.
I know what a clean boost is.

It doesn't matter if the pedal isn't adding any of its own dirt. Hit the front end of an already distorted amp with a clean boost and you'll get a more distorted amp, not a louder tone with the same amount of distortion.

It needs to be in the loop to add volume, and that only works if the amp is well below the power tube clipping threshold.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I know what a clean boost is.

It doesn't matter if the pedal isn't adding any of its own dirt. Hit the front end of an already distorted amp with a clean boost and you'll get a more distorted amp, not a louder tone with the same amount of distortion.

It needs to be in the loop to add volume, and that only works if the amp is well below the power tube clipping threshold.

So what do you recommend to the TS? And is the additional gain going to be that much significant?
My preference is SolidGoldFx's Nitro. It's a boost, but you can adjust the tone for more bottom end or high end... and it adds a subtle sparkle that really adds to the tone... particularly for lead playing.
probably a clean boost in the loop, assuming he has a loop.

but it'd be worth trying a ts-style od as well, just in case he prefers that.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It depends on how much preamp distortion he's getting already, and what "significant" means. We don't know what amp he's using, which will matter. Does it have a loop, master volume, etc.

Usually in this case a clean boost or a tubescreamer sort of pedal in the effects loop is the way to go. That way you can decide how much volume to add without hitting a wall and just adding gain when the preamp starts to overdrive.
I have an 18 watt marshall bluesbreaker and it does not have an fx loop!!!!! what do you suggest.also if i dont get a ts9 or similar where would a booster/eq etc go in the signal chain? thanks for all your help!!!
maybe an ep booster? i love mine. for me though, it's one of those pedals i leave on all the time.

there are a number of clean boosters out there. from what i've heard (but not personally tried), the lizard leg flying dragon is one of the better ones out there.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Ok, no effects loop, but there's not a ton of preamp gain going on in that amp. If you're not playing it too loud, you should be fine with a clean boost in front, like the EP boost or EQ. If you are playing it loud enough that a clean boost gives you too much gain, then...well, there's nothing that could fix your problem at that point. You've run out of headroom on your amp.

Assuming that's not the case, I'd say a regular clean boost. Something like the Boss blues driver would be good too - it has very little gain, so you can use it as a clean boost, and add just a tiny bit of overdrive if you feel like it's too clean.
I was looking for something almost idenctical, and for me its the MXR MC104. now I have to go out and buy it lol

its pretty much a straight volume boost pedal that should ad little to no distortion, and it can suposedly add up to 20db of boost.

the MXR 10band EQ, and the boss 7band EQ can do the samething too i think
Quote by Roc8995
It depends on how much preamp distortion he's getting already, and what "significant" means. We don't know what amp he's using, which will matter. Does it have a loop, master volume, etc.

Usually in this case a clean boost or a tubescreamer sort of pedal in the effects loop is the way to go. That way you can decide how much volume to add without hitting a wall and just adding gain when the preamp starts to overdrive.

word

Quote by lespaulyman
I have an 18 watt marshall bluesbreaker and it does not have an fx loop!!!!! what do you suggest.also if i dont get a ts9 or similar where would a booster/eq etc go in the signal chain? thanks for all your help!!!

you probably could have told us sooner that you didn't have a loop

Quote by Roc8995
Ok, no effects loop, but there's not a ton of preamp gain going on in that amp. If you're not playing it too loud, you should be fine with a clean boost in front, like the EP boost or EQ. If you are playing it loud enough that a clean boost gives you too much gain, then...well, there's nothing that could fix your problem at that point. You've run out of headroom on your amp.

Assuming that's not the case, I'd say a regular clean boost.

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
An OD will primarily boost the signal sent to the preamp, so you'll get a boost in gain but it won't be that much louder. I like having the OD on most of the time when I'm playing anyways, so I use my BOSS EQ pedal as a boost in volume for solos. People that are recommending ODs think you need more gain, people who are recommending compressors or EQs think you want more volume.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
i dunno, i mean if you run an od into a clean amp with the drive down low and the volume up that'll add a fair bit of volume, and not much more overdrive. Similar in that respect to a clean boost (though most ods will colour the tone a bit more, and will add a teeny bit of pedal clipping).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno, i mean if you run an od into a clean amp with the drive down low and the volume up that'll add a fair bit of volume, and not much more overdrive. Similar in that respect to a clean boost (though most ods will colour the tone a bit more, and will add a teeny bit of pedal clipping).

i run a tube sreamer in front of my 6534+ exactly how you describe it, and theres no volume boost, just a tad more compression and gain.
no volume boost at all? into the clean channel set well below clipping?

If I run any dirt pedals into a clean amp I can get a pretty big boost in volume (assuming said pedal actually is capable of boosting the overall volume).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i have an ibanez TS9, and i run it into the distortion channel of my amp, with distortion on minimum, and level on max.

EDIT: and it has the same effect on my clean and crunch channels
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by aeromorello17
i like to use a compressor for my lead boost, i just set it so the pedal will make my sound a little bit louder, and i use it for that and not so much the actual compression. something i found out by accident and really liked it, so just play around with a couple pedals and see what you like!

+1!
thats what i use. cept mine has the "afterburner" from emg in it so it gives me a bit more gain! love that pedal a lot. the only thing that could make my solos better is a midbooster. but i'm going to get a chillswitch for that