I'm terribly sorry to be bringing this sort of thread up again, but I could do with a bit of help.

I've just bought a Vox AD100VTH, but I'm not sure about what cab to get. I don't really fancy the matching cab, I've heard you can loose a lot of treble by standing in the wrong place, if I was just going to use this at home, I wouldn't be so bothered, but this is going to be my gig amp.

I've got a budget of about £200 and I play a Gibbo LP Studio, any ideas?
Not sure what to get with your budget and location, but some speakers have more spread than others. For example my V30s sound very bright right in front, but very muffled even a few inches to the side. My G12T75s however will sound pretty good anywhere in the room. That said I prefer the sound of V30s right in front over that of G12T75s right in front.

If you are miced up at the gig, directionality won't matter much. If you're not miced up at the gig, chances are the place is so small it won't matter anyway.

just my 2c

anyway, what kind of music do you play?
WTLTL 2011
That's a very good point about the amp being mic-ed up, the venues I play all use microphones, I'll look into it more, thanks

Edit: I play lot's of different types, but mostly hardcore, pop punk, metal and hard rock.
Last edited by Insanity ninja at Oct 13, 2011,
Its really a more complicated question than you think.

A. Different speakers, and cabinets have a different spread of the sound
B. Not all venues require the same spread, as they can be miced/rectangular
C. Not all speakers are equally "loud"
D. Not all speakers are easily mic'ed. Some are more forgiving than others
E. Your budget man....its low
F. There are speaker combinations to consider, especially if you can wire it in stereo
G. Unfortunately for you, the most narrow sounding speakers also tend to cut through the mix more.

Thats just from the top of my head.

**** it, for simplicity just get a 2x12 with V30s. They'll cut through a mix better than most other speakers, which is crucial live. Especially for metal and hard rock.

but G12T 75s have a bigger spread
V30s are perceived to be louder
V30s have a very small "sweet spot" to be miced
you could consider 2 different speakers, not a bad plan
of course there are far more speakers out there...I just don't have experience with them
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by Mark G
Its really a more complicated question than you think.

A. Different speakers, and cabinets have a different spread of the sound
B. Not all venues require the same spread, as they can be miced/rectangular
C. Not all speakers are equally "loud"
D. Not all speakers are easily mic'ed. Some are more forgiving than others
E. Your budget man....its low
F. There are speaker combinations to consider, especially if you can wire it in stereo
G. Unfortunately for you, the most narrow sounding speakers also tend to cut through the mix more.

Thats just from the top of my head.

**** it, for simplicity just get a 2x12 with V30s. They'll cut through a mix better than most other speakers, which is crucial live. Especially for metal and hard rock.

but G12T 75s have a bigger spread
V30s are perceived to be louder
V30s have a very small "sweet spot" to be miced
you could consider 2 different speakers, not a bad plan
of course there are far more speakers out there...I just don't have experience with them

+99.999

i believe if you look at the thile/small parameters of the speakers, the angle in which the speakers project may be noted.

but in short listen to mark.

if i am playing with a different group of people that i am unfamiliar with their gear, i always bring a cab with V30's because even though they aren't the best speakers for the application necessarily, they sure as hell cut through the mix.

if you look at the cones of different speakers from the front, you can see the angle of the cones look slightly different visually.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks very much to everyone, especially Mark, and I know my budget is very low, but I'm a teenage boy with more debts than I can pay back already. That said, I shall try my best to follow your advice and I'll look into some 2x12s, thanks
1: Mark owns the thread
2: Mark knows his stuff really well, especiallay about recording etc imo
3: I bought 'his' 212, and i would really recomment it
4: don't buy a 412, it's way too heavy imo
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30