So, I got a $25 seatbelt ticket and I somehow forgot to pay it. Letter in the mail today, big fat letters, says arrest warrant. The fine also went to $250. I called and they said I could talk to the judge about getting it reduced. My question is, if they don't reduce it to where I can actually pay it, because I definitely don't have $250, are they going to expect me to pay today and if I can't, are they going to stick me in jail? What the ****.

Literal answers only please. I'm seriously stressing.
If you can't pay it all off completely I believe you have to work it off through community service.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
If you can't pay it all off completely I believe you have to work it off through community service.
I have a petty larceny fine from like a year ago I'm still paying. I'm going to make my case to the judge, which I think is pretty compelling. I just don't know if he'll reduce it like $100 or back to the original amount and I don't know if the larceny charge is going to be a factor in what they do.
Depends on where you're from, but they probably won't throw you in jail over $250...that being said, $250 is a pretty difficult amount to argue as being unaffordable. They might just put a dinky interest rate on it while you go and dig up the money. If you belligerently refuse to pony up for $250, they might give you community service, but you'd spend 3x the amount of time than that than if you'd just gotten a job.

tl;dr = get a job ya bum.
Funky c, Funky do
Quote by funky_c
Depends on where you're from, but they probably won't throw you in jail over $250...that being said, $250 is a pretty difficult amount to argue as being unaffordable. They might just put a dinky interest rate on it while you go and dig up the money. If you belligerently refuse to pony up for $250, they might give you community service, but you'd spend 3x the amount of time than that than if you'd just gotten a job.

tl;dr = get a job ya bum.
See, that's the thing I'm going to explain to him. I've had a lot of family issues going on, my dad doesn't even have the money, and I just went yesterday to take a drug test for my new job. Shit, my new job is doing a background check too. I'm going to be ****ed if they see I have a warrant.
Quote by Caleb B
Literal answers only please.

as opposed to figurative answers?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Caleb B
I suppose I meant serious*.

that makes more sense.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Caleb B
See, that's the thing I'm going to explain to him. I've had a lot of family issues going on, my dad doesn't even have the money, and I just went yesterday to take a drug test for my new job. Shit, my new job is doing a background check too. I'm going to be ****ed if they see I have a warrant.

They might actually let you slide without the record then. "I'm getting a job and becoming a contributing member of society" is generally considered to be about as good a character reference as you can get. Law students do this with surprising frequency because they do stupid shit at parties and then can't write the bar until they get their record wiped.

You'll probably still hafta pay the ticket eventually though. The "I need a clean record so I can get a job and help my family" line will probably be your best bet. Good luck man
Funky c, Funky do
Quote by funky_c
They might actually let you slide without the record then. "I'm getting a job and becoming a contributing member of society" is generally considered to be about as good a character reference as you can get. Law students do this with surprising frequency because they do stupid shit at parties and then can't write the bar until they get their record wiped.

You'll probably still hafta pay the ticket eventually though. The "I need a clean record so I can get a job and help my family" line will probably be your best bet. Good luck man
Yea, I'm really good at sweet talking. I probably would have gotten my petty larceny fine reduced had I gotten a chance to talk to the judge, but he made it too quick. Thanks a bunch.
Probably should have paid your ticket.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
You wont go to 'jail' for a seatbelt ticket.

In the UK you would normally have to do community service with paying smaller amount but im not 100% about that in your country..

Why weren't you wearing a seatbelt?
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by SpartanTHC
Why the hell wouldn't you wear your seatbelt anyway? Fancy death?
Honestly, I'm very, very good at wearing my seat belt. I was driving, literally, less than a quarter mile around the corner in my neighborhood to my friends house and a cop happened to be chilling.
Quote by SpartanTHC
Why the hell wouldn't you wear your seatbelt anyway? Fancy death?

80mph through a windshield is about as fancy a death as you can get
Funky c, Funky do
your best bet is to turn yourself in and pray the judge lets you do some community service. best of luck!
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by benedicto16
i dont know why but i fought the law, and the law won
Probably because the government owns this mother****ing country. Pathetic.

Okay, I'm back from the future.
Last edited by Caleb B at Oct 13, 2011,
I honestly don't understand why someone wouldn't wear a seatbelt. Unless of course they were planning to kill themselves.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
1. Wear a seatbelt
2. Don't forget about fines

These are two very important things to do if you wish to be responsible and self-sufficient. I really don't see how you could forget about a fine

Good luck getting things sorted out
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
They'll put out an arrest warrant for forgetting to pay seatbelt fines? They sure are tough on seatbelt-wearing where you're from.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
You really need to learn how to bullshit the fuzz man.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
They will lower it if you ask nicely and provide a good reason.
If not they will give you adaquate (sp?) time to pay it off.
Unless your like 30 and just a bum with no money because you bought too much crack.
Quote by Kensai
They'll put out an arrest warrant for forgetting to pay seatbelt fines? They sure are tough on seatbelt-wearing where you're from.

It's called click it or ticket. They have it because so many teens die in car crashes since they think not wearing a seatbelt makes you rebellious and cool.
Jesus that sounds so stupidly serious for nothing. I'm surprised to see the words ''judge'' and ''arrest warrant'' along with ''jail''.

I got a similar thing once, I didn't pay a ticket and they sent me a notice of conviction, basically telling me they would pretty much ''convict'' me if i didn't pay the ticket. That sentence would most likely a long half hour in a jail cell, ha no just kidding we dont have the time, money or stupidity for that over here. It would most likely be a much bigger fine, probably like at least three times what it was, and it was around 70$ i think.

Just pay the ticket. If you literally don't have 250$ in your bank account to pay then I would suggest that you shouldv'e stopped owning/driving a car a little while ago, but seriously just scrounge up some money from people. But if you're just saying 250$ is a big chunk of your account but you can pay it, then pay it.

Or else the big bad police man come and take you away with arrest warrant for some kid's seatbelt ticket. I have a feeling they'd much rather rack up more money on what you owe then slap you in jail, considering it would cost THEM money to do so. Jesus christ, what a bunch of gearheads down there, ''arrest warrant'', gimme a ****in' break, what a messed up sense of public administration and judicial ideology they must have.