I have a headache right now. I have a vintage 62 strat replica.

My problem is with the 6th string, when played open it sounds ok but when i fret from 3rd-4rht and especially after the 7th I get a really weird sound, its like there are two notes at the same time - the correct one just louder. I get that sound even with the guitar unplugged - it is not that bad though. It seems to me like the better pickups reveiled an underlying problem.

Its hard to describe it and maybe I'm being too geeky about it but it breaks my nerves. The weird sound I got when I lifted the pickups too high on my old strat is really close to what i get now. The problem occured after replacing the stock pickups with texas specials (I had them replaced - not by myself). The only other change was that the tone knob now controls neck and mid pickup. The guy who installed them corrected intonation as well. And there is no buzz at all

I ve googled, and tried these:

-Lowering the pickups ( i think it affected it slightly -still very disturbing- but I couldnt get them any lower anyway)
-lifting the pickups
-Removing the tremolo springs
-muting the other part of the string
-lifting the 6th string saddle
-lowering the 6th string saddle
-I checked the neck with a ruler and it is straight

Nothing worked

Well I also changed the neck with a mapple one and it worked! but couldnt keep the neck its from my brothers guitar...and it didnt sound as good as rosewood (by the way it sounded to me like it was my brothers guitar in my guitar's body !!! Necks do play a great role in tone)

ALL the other strings sound perfect, just lovely. My strings are 10s maybe with 9 it will a bit better, but I doubt it.

What can I do instead of a risky neck change (I want rosewood so the problem could remain the same)

The output of the new pickups is quite similar with the stock ones.
Sorry for the lenght of my post
Last edited by the_gp at Oct 13, 2011,
in changing the necks you may have destroyed the intonation.

but changing back might have fixed it a bit.

you need to have a look down the neck, make sure its as straight as possible and if need be adjust the truss rod.

then you'll need to set up the action then finally intonate it.

should none of this work i suggest you take it to your nearest guitar tech, bring the guitar but have a word with them as to what the problem might be, they'll have a good look at your guitar and 99% chance they'll suggest a full set-up, if they say this, let them do it and pay them.

should you have this done and it still is a problem, your neck might be warped.

however if your neck IS warped, the tech will be able to tell you this before they start work.

i had a tech in a guitar shop look at my fender strat the day after i bought it to set it up, they destroyed my scratchplate then told me that my neck was warped and to send it back to fender... i then took it to a proper luthier (KGB Music in birkenhead, guild of master craftsmen members and totally legit and ALL they do is build and repair guitars) and they told me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it at all and the other "tech" ballsed it up and then made an excuse as to why it was ballsed up and then he sorted it.

so after this wall of text just make sure you take it to a GOOD guitar tech, not one in a back alley music shop...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Thanks for the advice the neck seems fine so does intonation, I ll take it to a good technician
it may just be cross reverb from the springs. happens to me a lot with the B string, you can shovel some tissue paper in there to keep the quiet but it might get shredded up if you use the trem a lot