what are some ways that you guys promote your music/local bands/music in general? i was just trying to think of some diffrent ways to promote music myself besides the obvious type things (gigs, facebook, ect) so, ideas?
Quote by j1o1s1h1b1
what are some ways that you guys promote your music/local bands/music in general? i was just trying to think of some diffrent ways to promote music myself besides the obvious type things (gigs, facebook, ect) so, ideas?

give a free concert at the center of your town
Why doesnt anyone flyer anymore! Go down to your local staples ask for 500 copies in Goldenrod and go ****ing nuts all over town with them.
i think getting out and meeting people is the most effective. go to gigs of bands in your genre, with flyers, and use the flyers as a conversation starter. make friends with these people and increase your social circle. if each person tells 2 people, and they tell two people, and so on and so on and so on.
Usually word of mouth. If you live rural you really don't have any choice other than being good and having a lot of rep behind you. I'm still a gig virgin but I've played for a few people, and have had experience in front of hundreds. Youtube, UG, facebook.... all just caravans for strutting your shit.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Absolutely relentless networking. Get everyone you know to talk to everyone they know about your stuff. If you're lucky enough to know people in the music industry already, give them a call and find out who the people are to talk to about getting gigs and finding good people to work with. Send these guys and girls a copy of your cd, info about an upcoming gig, give them free tickets to it, etc. Buddy up to them and introduce them to your music, get their numbers. The toughest thing is getting your foot in the door.

/secondhand advice
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Call your album "I'm gay" and be an absolutely terrible musician. It actually works.
Check out my band Disturbed
Play tons of shows. For these shows, make full sized posters that you can put up everywhere you can think of.
And after that, cook up a small flyer that's only 1/4 sheet of paper, so you can print four of them off at a time. Hand these out to everyone you see who would have even a mild interest in music.
Also, make EPs of your band and give these out for free. People love free music. And there's a lot of asshole bands that will charge eight bucks for a four song ep. Don't be that guy.
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me