Does Guitar Center go by a formula for buying used electric guitars? I've always heard it was something like 40% of the retail price.

I know they don't just pull a number out of a hat, there has to be some method used I once got a quote for my old Schecter, and it turned out be almost the same exact amount it sold for on eBay, after the eBay fees and whatnot.
Its going to be a percentage based on the condition and quality of the guitar, I cant ever see them giving you more then 50% of the retail for the guitar even if it was still brand new though.
Quote by W4RP1G
Does Guitar Center go by a formula for buying used electric guitars? I've always heard it was something like 40% of the retail price.

I know they don't just pull a number out of a hat, there has to be some method used I once got a quote for my old Schecter, and it turned out be almost the same exact amount it sold for on eBay, after the eBay fees and whatnot.

i forget, but it's something like 50%. then an additional 10-20% off of that number.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i forget, but it's something like 50%. then an additional 10-20% off of that number.

More like subtractional 10-20%
Quote by Nitnatsnok
More like subtractional 10-20%

more like, then take another..... were the words i didn't feel necessary,
knowing that the TS isnt an idiot.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I was told the base them off ebay prices. So probably half and then they take off whatever for the condition afterwards
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
for most guitars they give 50% of what they will sell it for. if the guitar isn't in good shape then it will be less. for guitars that are less common or are in great demand they will kick it up a bit (usually if they know they have a buyer). vintage gear is based off ebay but the prices are set by the vintage division not by the local manager. this info comes from the manager of my GC. they do have a little ability to go up or down depending on local trends or store needs.
Quote by monwobobbo
for most guitars they give 50% of what they will sell it for. if the guitar isn't in good shape then it will be less. for guitars that are less common or are in great demand they will kick it up a bit (usually if they know they have a buyer). vintage gear is based off ebay but the prices are set by the vintage division not by the local manager. this info comes from the manager of my GC. they do have a little ability to go up or down depending on local trends or store needs.

Awesome, thanks! I would ask my local GC but I've never met such a bunch or incompetent morons. They can't even give me a hypothetical ball park quote for my guitar, they expect me to drive for an hour just to get a quote. I miss my old GC, they were great.

Also, does anyone know how often they price drop used gear?
Anybody know if the same method follows for recording equipment? Not trying to threadjack or anything, just tryin' to get a ride to GC to trade in a Digidesign 003 rack, only used once or twice (too stupid to figure out the i/o's in a DAW lawl) and a pair of mx-5a studio monitors, a behringer i/o extension, and a pair of yamaha a12m 300w floor monitors. All in mint condition hardly used at all, but without boxes sadly. Looking to walk outta GC with a jet city jca50 and maybe a cheap drive pedal.

Edit:: mx-5a's, not 8's. sadface.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Oct 13, 2011,
I've seen them selling used guitars for really crappy prices. Like the Schecter Deluxe 006, a $200 guitar, being sold for $200 used. Might have come with some sort of case, but regardless, that price sucks.

Looking at a lot of their used prices, makes me wonder if they even have a "formula" and it's not just some price some idiot appraised it for.
Quote by W4RP1G
Awesome, thanks! I would ask my local GC but I've never met such a bunch or incompetent morons. They can't even give me a hypothetical ball park quote for my guitar, they expect me to drive for an hour just to get a quote. I miss my old GC, they were great.

Also, does anyone know how often they price drop used gear?

it's a common business practice to not give ball park figures over the phone or without whatever is being sold being present. this is because people tend to alway say thier stuff is in great condition only to find out not so much. now if they give you one figure on the phone and then a lower one in person due to condition people get all pissy. this is a very common practice with collectables (which i deal in)

as for electronics like recorders and such no they do something different. bad thing about technology items is they become outdated so no one wants them. not sure what they do with them but i'd guess that they may turn some items down completely if to old or give next to nothing. this doesn't apply to guitar fx pedals
Quote by monwobobbo
it's a common business practice to not give ball park figures over the phone or without whatever is being sold being present. this is because people tend to alway say thier stuff is in great condition only to find out not so much. now if they give you one figure on the phone and then a lower one in person due to condition people get all pissy. this is a very common practice with collectables (which i deal in)

Yeah, that makes some sense, but why is it impossible to say "IF it's in mint condition, this is what we will pay"? That's what my old GC would do, they'd give the maximum they'd pay and say they subtract for damages/modifications. It's just a pain to drive so far without even getting a ballpark quote.
I suspect it's more than 40-50% of retail. I just traded in a guitar that I paid $1800 for. I got $1000 in trade in, and they're selling the guitar for $1600. So that's just a bit more than 60% of the used selling price, and 55% of retail. Which is fine with me. If you want more, you have to take the risk and work of going through craigslist or e-bay.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Well, I had a $130 epiphone acoustic in perfect condition and they gave me $70 for it a few months after I sold it back to them. Plus, I traded in my Line 6 spider iv 15w (my first amp) for $60 at GC. So its a bit more than 50% and the guy there said that it depends on the model and the condition. He said that they don't take any of the spider iiis or iis anymore because there are way too many ivs on the market.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by W4RP1G
Yeah, that makes some sense, but why is it impossible to say "IF it's in mint condition, this is what we will pay"? That's what my old GC would do, they'd give the maximum they'd pay and say they subtract for damages/modifications. It's just a pain to drive so far without even getting a ballpark quote.

because people hear what they want and ignore the rest. even if 7/10 people understand the other 3 will be the ones that bitch loudly. who needs the hassle 30% of the time. it's easier to avoid the hassle and potentially embarrasing situations at the store in front of other customers.
well im kinda curious, im trying to sell my cab which i figure is worth 500$ and i kinda wonder what my local L&M will give me for it because im having a hard time selling it on kijiji
Quote by Seanthesheep
well im kinda curious, im trying to sell my cab which i figure is worth 500$ and i kinda wonder what my local L&M will give me for it because im having a hard time selling it on kijiji

if it isn't selling for the price you figured then that price is to high. don't expect anywhere near that from a store.
well i bought it used for 500, the condition hasnt changed since then, and i see very similar cabs going and selling for 550-450$
40-60% of Ebay prices depending on how much they want it/think it will sell. Higher if you're doing a trade/if it's something nice, lower if it's a straight up used sale/something less desirable.

Not a GC employee, but that's how it works..
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
The way my local shop did it was take 60% of the retail price and then take 50% of that number. Stuff I sold at GC was around the same. I sold my $400 Bugera V22 for $120 at GC which matches up with what my local shop did, so I knew what to expect.
Quote by Seanthesheep
well i bought it used for 500, the condition hasnt changed since then, and i see very similar cabs going and selling for 550-450$

are you looking at asking pricex or actual sold items? bottom line is that it doesn't matter what an item is going for elsewhere the market may be different there. if you got no bites then you are asking more than your market is willing to go. basic economics.
so former sam ash employees get the shaft huh w4rp1g?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

shh too loud. now shoo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you trade in you can work a deal more in your favor. They may be willing to give you more value for what you traded in when it's going towards something else.

If you actually need the money sell it on your own. You get more obviously.
Quote by gregs1020

Well, I've never actually seen a Sam Ash in person, but I cancelled my 60s tribute order with GC because I didn't like their customer service and went with Sam Ash. I was actually blown away by the service I received. I went through American Musical Supply and then Guitar Center first, and neither one gave a damn.

So yeah, Sam Ash employees are welcome to give their advice too. I won't be able to go to a Sam Ash though
the guitar has to be in perfect working order.

if the frets are sticking out of the sides of the neck it's considered unplayable.

usually used gear, depending on vintage, will get a third the retail sale price. and by sale price i mean the lowest price the store "closed them out" at.

and it also depends on demand for that kind of guitar, so it is subjective by the person "buying in" the gear at the store.

that's how my GC does it. I've discussed it with them. but, every store varies by the gtr dept mgr and store mgr, markets vary widely.

I used to work at sam ash but you said GC employees only.

you're better off with ebay usually.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
eBay is definitely an option, but honestly, if I get a hundred less at GC, that would still be nearly as much as the eBay seller fees, so I'd break about even. Except I'd rather just drive an hour and sell it than deal with eBay and shipping.
It varies greatly with the item and condition, but you will almost never get more than 50% of what you paid for it new. Guitar Center should be a LAST option for anyone selling gear. In today's day and age there's really no excuse for getting significantly less for your gear. I had a $900 guitar (granted I got a steal on it but GC didnt know that) and I took it to GC to see what I would get and they offered me $250, and it was mint. I put it on craigslist for $600 and it sold the next day for $575. More than double what Guitar Center offered me.

GC is good if you need the money IMMEDIATELY and can't afford to wait even a couple hours, but really what's the likelihood that your situation is so desperate?

Another really funny thing is the blatant inconsistency between different GC locations. A year or two ago I bought a guitar from a Guitar Center on the West coast. The guitar sells new for $2150. I got it for $400, with the hardshell. I eventually traded the guitar off, and the guitar has since been sold to Guitar Center again, and this time it's up for over $1200. Literally triple the price I paid for that very guitar from a different GC location just a year or two ago.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Oct 14, 2011,