Shaarimoth: "Tiamat, A Tuku Ushumgal Molatta, Silim-madu Tiamat!"

Shaarimoth - Current 11

Okay, I did I search and saw very little mention of these guys so I thought I'd share. Shaarimoth is a death metal band formed in 2004 and hailing from Norway. Though still active, they only have one recording out to date and that is there debut full-length entitled Current 11 (2005). Essentially, Shaarimoth pull a Nile in that they play a unique brand of death metal with an emphasis on an exotic theme (in their case Sumerian mythology), which is a little odd considering they're from Norway (it seems only US bands are hell bent on this type of thing usually). Very unique band without resorting to pseudo-progressive gimmicks and/or going overboard with their theme and coming off as cheesy. Also, their only similarities with Nile are the ones mentioned (the subgenre and exotic theme). They aren't wanky, don't down tune ridiculously low (and same for vocals), and they don't have a modern production (not polished, no scooped mids, no clicky drums, etc.). Anyways, highly recommended, check 'em out.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4qlXnjNRAA

Metal Archives: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Shaarimoth/55213
Last edited by Born Headless at Oct 13, 2011,
This is pretty cool stuff, pretty well put together and as you said pretty original. I'll keep an eye on thees guys for sure. The vocalist puts me off a bit but i will just adapt more than likely.
I think how they hardly downtune is a part of it, i hear a bit of that as well.
Since when does scooped mids and clicky drums equal modern production? I can think of a few old school albums with that production
Sounds good, but nothing really stood out or begged for more listening on that track. I might just have to get more aquatinted with it, but it just seemed like it was... kind of forgettable... Probably just comes down to personal preference.

Im fully aware tastes change though, so I will definitely try it again.

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
Hmm, so apparently Shaarimoth is a Hebrew word meaning "The Gate to Hell". Found that out in an interview that can be found here if anyone is interested. Decent interview, half-way entertaining read. The band acts about how you'd expect (omgz im a ancient sumerian god from da blak abyss!!11) but when they're not on about their "message" and what not they seem intelligent enough. Whatever recruits fans I suppose.

Quote by Riffmast
This is pretty cool stuff, pretty well put together and as you said pretty original. I'll keep an eye on thees guys for sure. The vocalist puts me off a bit but i will just adapt more than likely.

Quote by 1010011010
Pretty awesome. Reminds me of early Morbid Angel for some reason.

To me the vocalist sounds a good bit like a lesser version of David Vincent on Blessed are the Sick Andy. They aren't amazing but not exactly grating or anything. Oh, and they sound like Morbid Angel to me as well. I think it's a combo of the vocals, the riffs, and what Andy said. Oh, and especially the drumming.

Quote by Helloween4Ever
pretty good stuff, reminds me of Scythian (UK).

I suppose I can see the connection. To me they sound like a combination of early Morbid Angel, Behemoth in their transitional phase, and Nile (for the obvious reasons). All that plus a little originality.

Quote by dillonrips7
Since when does scooped mids and clicky drums equal modern production? I can think of a few old school albums with that production

No one likes a dick Dillon. Nah, I was just making a broad generalization and trying to point out the differences between them and Nile. You win.

Quote by Hellomeitsme
Sounds good, but nothing really stood out or begged for more listening on that track. I might just have to get more aquatinted with it, but it just seemed like it was... kind of forgettable... Probably just comes down to personal preference.

Im fully aware tastes change though, so I will definitely try it again.

To each his own. They stand out to me amongst crowd of OSDM and particularly Incantation worship bands.
The texture of his voice kind of reminds me of btbam, like the way he distorts his voice. And what modern production now is just Scott Burns production with more buttons on the mix board, through a computer or pod.