Ok ive recently realised that i play with my freting hand quite tensed. i can still play fairly well with it but its holding me back for sure i can just tell.

evry day before i pick the guitar up i do plenty of finger and hand and arm stretches and a few guitar warmups like runing threw my scales and chromatic exersizes ect for about an hour. but im still finding i play with tension in my fret hand.

what does evryone else do please to realy get relaxed hands but still play strongly?

i like to play aggresivly and realy slow n bluesy. but im damn sure i need to be fully relaxed while playing both ways.

So any help hints and tips on this is welcomed.

thanks alot

(before i forget) i think my tension stems from when i was first learning scales and how to bend and all that and even tho ive got a whole lot better the tensions remained.
Keep the angel of your fretting hand comfortable, and use palm or thumb of that hand to press a bit under the neck while playing.
When doing stretchy stuff, make sure your hand is facing the fretboard (if you lay your finger across a fret whiile having your hand in that angle, it should be parallel with the fret.) have your thumb below the neck.
Also, if you feel tense while playing standing up, you should tighten your strap, to make your guitar set more high. Since a mistake many guitarist do is to have it set way too low, which makes it harder to pick and fret properly without feeling uncomfortable.
If you simply have played too much without taking a break, you just have to rest a bit, and take it easy with your playing.
My left hand was in much pain for about 2 weeks til I felt fine again.

Hope it's not too much to read!
Quote by JB95
Keep the angel of your fretting hand comfortable, and use palm or thumb of that hand to press a bit under the neck while playing.
When doing stretchy stuff, make sure your hand is facing the fretboard (if you lay your finger across a fret whiile having your hand in that angle, it should be parallel with the fret.) have your thumb below the neck.
Also, if you feel tense while playing standing up, you should tighten your strap, to make your guitar set more high. Since a mistake many guitarist do is to have it set way too low, which makes it harder to pick and fret properly without feeling uncomfortable.
If you simply have played too much without taking a break, you just have to rest a bit, and take it easy with your playing.
My left hand was in much pain for about 2 weeks til I felt fine again.

Hope it's not too much to read!

Thanks for the response very helpfull post thankyou.

what about relaxing as a whole do you have any advise for that please?
You can do some warm up stretches and massages. Check out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline on youtube as he demonstrates some in that.

You should also keep your breathing deep and regular, try not to hold your breath when you play. If you have a difficult part or fast run, take a nice deep breath first.

Make sure your in a comfortable position, whether you are standing or sitting, and don't have your guitar to low or to high. Pick comfort over looking cool.
what about relaxing as a whole do you have any advise for that please?

Sure. Take things down slowly until you eliminate the tension. Gradually bring up the speed, maintaining the relaxation.

So,

step 1 - Sit with the guitar, with no tension.

step 2 - Learn to fret notes with no excess pressure.

Etc!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhhyrnINIU

Watch this, and this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ

and go buy this - http://www.amazon.com/principles-correct-practice-guitar/dp/B0006RKLZG

Sorted.