Currently stringing and cleaning my lovely strat Just wondering, does anybody else do their own setup? How do you do it, what do you do and why? Discuss \/
Yes, I string my own guitar. And I will continue to do so until I purchase a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge.

I also use a Dunlop cleaning kit on it, then tune 'er to D.
Yup. .10's, flatwounds, and I'm good to go.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
yeah, once a month. Always enjoy the whole cleaning and restringing process
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
All the time, I much rather spend the time once to learn how to do it myself instead of paying someone everytime I need my guitar worked on. I am a hobbyist luthier and prefer to even work on my friends guitars if they will let me and I have the time, I have always been anal about that kind of thing, I even do my own work on my cars, saves so much money for more guitars!
I re-string it every few months but I don't play much so it's ok. It always take me a while too, and the strings always comes close to taking my eye out.
I re-string and clean it up and stuff, but if my intonation was completely ****ed I'd probably take it to a shop, but anything minor I look up on the internet/magazines on how to fix it myself.
Check out my fitness blog here
Yeah, I've also adjusted the truss rod in my schecter. Scariest freaking moment. Though, it was a success and I didn't crack the neck.
Quote by Norse Thrasher
Yes, I string my own guitar. And I will continue to do so until I purchase a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge.

Its not hard to setup a Floyd rose, seriously.
Quote by pawnluv
Always enjoy the whole cleaning and restringing process

This.

Need the electrics looking at though, and the truss rod needs alteration, not sure I trust myself enough to do this though, I think i'll let the shop do it. Only £45 for a full service and clean, including electricals.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Yeah, but only because I trust no one with my preciouses
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Yep. My local tech charges 100$ for a restring setup on a floyd.

I had a 400$ guitar setup like 6 times!!
So it was time to learn, and I did.
Quote by smokeysteve22
Its not hard to setup a Floyd rose, seriously.

Looks like work to me. More work than I'd prefer. Is there a site I can go to that you know of that has info on tuning, string, and care for Floyd Rose bridges?
Quote by DimebagZappa
Yep. My local tech charges 100$ for a restring setup on a floyd.

I had a 400$ guitar setup like 6 times!!
So it was time to learn, and I did.

I only had to pay like 20 - 50 bucks, from what I remember, on my brother's guitar.
Quote by Norse Thrasher
I only had to pay like 20 - 50 bucks, from what I remember, on my brother's guitar.

Theres a shop in the city (30 miles away) that will do it for 50$ and clean it too.
This guy in airdrie here is terrible. 100$ for restring and he didnt clean shit.
Not to mention hes left me without a guitar for up to 2 weeks, before I bought another few...

He also told my friend he wouldnt put his guitar in drop c because his neck would twist.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Theres a shop in the city (30 miles away) that will do it for 50$ and clean it too.
This guy in airdrie here is terrible. 100$ for restring and he didnt clean shit.
Not to mention hes left me without a guitar for up to 2 weeks, before I bought another few...

He also told my friend he wouldnt put his guitar in drop c because his neck would twist.

@ the Drop C bit.
Quote by DimebagZappa

I do my own setup because it's cheaper than paying out $50 to a guitar shop and it's damn easy
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I see no reason not to re-string your own guitar, it costs like €10 and you have to be mentally retarded to **** it up
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by KirkMetallica
I see no reason not to re-string your own guitar, it costs like €10 and you have to be mentally retarded to **** it up

This

Also:

@ twisting the neck
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.