I've been in the market for a new amplifier. I want something tube, I'm sick of the MG30FX I have. Playing loud is just terrible. I play metal (thrash/groove/whatever...) There are a few requirements for the amp before I buy though. I need to be able to play at bedroom levels with the amp still sounding fine, and I want to be able to keep up with my jamming buddy's half stack when we jam together.

The Valve King 212 seems like a pretty viable option for me. It's a pretty affordable all tube amp that I'm pretty sure could keep up with the half stack.

My other option is to look for a Valve King Head (there's a ton used for sale in my area for cheaaaap) and get some kind of cab. The only thing snag here is that I would need a some sort of hot plate which does not come cheap!

So I guess, I have a few questions:

-Would the 212 do what I need it to do?
-What options do I have other than a hot plate (if I get a half stack)?
-What sort of amp combos/half stacks would you recommend instead of the VK?
If you're taking it to your friend's house, do not get the Valveking under any circumstances. Almost broke my back trying to carry one of those >< Tbh if you play thrash/groove metal, look for a Randall. I have an RG75G2 and it's absolutely brilliant for any type of metal at all and I got it for £62 on ebay If you can find an RG50TC which is essentially the 50w tube version of the RG75, you're sorted. The misconception you have though is that the halfstack is louder than a combo. It really isn't. It's just the halfstack has 2 more speakers therefore projects the sound across a larger area. Also, you won't need the attenuator. Attenuators are thought by most people to be a tool for getting a better sound at bedroom volumes, but they're actually not. It's more for if you're doing a gig at a reasonably loud volume and you can't go any higher because of the rest of the band or noise limits but your amp still needs that extra push to hit the sweet spot, that's what an attenuator is for.

TL;DR: Get a randall, halfstacks aren't louder, attenuators aren't for bedrooms

Hope this helped, dude
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Ever heard of a trolley Twistedrock? If weight was a reason not to buy an amp no bass player would ever buy an SVT - and SVT's are everywhere. You want to be outdone by a bass player? They can work out how to transport heavy amps and you can't? Did somebody hook out half your brain?

The Valveking is a pretty ordinary amp in stock trim. Good modding platform though. Change the speakers and a few components and they scrub up really well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Ever heard of a trolley Twistedrock? If weight was a reason not to buy an amp no bass player would ever buy an SVT - and SVT's are everywhere. You want to be outdone by a bass player? They can work out how to transport heavy amps and you can't? Did somebody hook out half your brain?

The Valveking is a pretty ordinary amp in stock trim. Good modding platform though. Change the speakers and a few components and they scrub up really well.

Actually didn't think of that, to be fair it's 1am which means half my brainpower is gone :P Even so, a 2x12 combo isn't the best idea if you're transporting it regularly, and the Randalls I suggested (which are both 1x12s) are both better options for thrash/groove metal anyway imo. My RG75 actually weighs less than if you carried a HT5H and a matching 1x10 cab together. Although when you think about it, a small head and a 2x12 cab does seem the better option. Ima go ahead and add Jet City JCA20H/JCA22H + a decent 2x12 to my suggestions
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Cathbard
Ever heard of a trolley Twistedrock?

You stole my thunder!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I guess it's all relative. My JCM900 4102 is what I take when I can't be bothered hauling around my main rig (a rack on top of a 1960). Compared to that a 100W 2x12 tube combo is small and convenient.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i'm a big fan and user of the VK (have a 112) but i don't know if it is really ideal for what you want. the metal tones it has (despite the advertising) are really more along the lines of say early 80s Judas Priest than Slayer. yes you can boost it with an overdrive but that's not ideal . perhaps a 6505+ combo or is you can find the 2 x 12 older (but better) model then that might be ideal.

What half stack doe syou buddy have? if it's something like an MG then even a 1 x 12 tube combo will keep up and probably drown it out.
How frickin loud are you playing when you're jammin? Hope you're wearing ear plugs

Anyways, what's your budget...what's your location? With those answers, we can give you better suggestions.

And yeah, half stacks look cool, but a piece of shit half stack will still sound like shit. 2x12 tube combos will sound awesome, but many can be heavy and awkward to move. I'd still take a good solid 2x12 (or 1x12) combo over a crappy half stack.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I play loud :P

Anyways I've heard that the ValveKing is a bag of bricks, but I'm really more concerned about tone. I'm not sure what brand my buddy's half stack is. What I meant was the pushing air thing when I said getting drowned out. With my MG30FX at near full volume I still couldn't hear it next to he half stack. I talked to a guy not that long ago who told me that Randall is a good place to go for metal, but at the music store I usually go to they have the RX120RHS half stack which is solid state, and not what I'm looking for.

There's a guy selling a used RG50TC in my area for 400$, my only concern is not being able to move enough air compared to a half stack. If any of you guys have experience using one of these (or a similar 1X12) next to a half stack, let me know what your experiences were like!
The ValveKing is surprisingly versatile. I owned one for a while. A couple things though, the 212 won't really be any quieter than the half stack - they both have the same amount of wattage. More speakers don't add much to volume, they add to sound dispersion. Having owned the 212 combo, I'd say if you're going to get a VK, get the 112, or get the half stack. 212's in general, are just a pain in the ass to transport.

Now onto tone. The VK will be hard pressed to give you a good thrash/groove tone. Old school thrash, maybe, but not groove. Out of the box, it's geared mostly toward hard rock/alternative metal. It's not very aggressive. Of course, you can turn it into quite a beast, but I did all that, and at the end of the day I have to say it wasn't really worth it, for modern tones. It's a lot cheaper and less frustrating to get something that does exactly what you want it to.

I'd recommend a Jet City instead. Wait for the newer 2 channel ones with the better lead channels to come out, or get a JCA50 if you can afford it. I'm not really sure how much they go for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
one trick you could do is elevate you combo amp. If you get your amp closer to ear level then it should be more audible. that said, if you get that randall, I have the head version, and it sounds pretty sweet. for some super high gain stuff, youd need a boost for solos, but i have no problem playing death metal rythm without one. I would say it sounds better than the valveking, as long as you elevate it there should be no problem keeping up with your bud.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Had a VK for a while. Not what you're after.

I second a Randall.

Or actually, I would get a Vypyr tube. Legit little metal monster for the price.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Unless you're talking about over the top to the point of needing a hearing aid in 5 years, then a 50-60w tube 1x12 will keep up with the half stack. It won't project and have the same sound stage as a 4x12. You can't really compare one of the crappy solid state Marshalls with a real valve amp.

If you give a budget and a location, people on this forum are great for finding good used deals for you.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by classicrocker01
Had a VK for a while. Not what you're after.

I second a Randall.

Or actually, I would get a Vypyr tube. Legit little metal monster for the price.

+1

Never played the Randall.

Owned a VK112 and modded it then sold it.

If you do go the VK route - don't get the 212. Get either the 112 and swap the speaker or get the head and a good cab. You will need an OD, EQ pedal and some different tubes and possibly some circuit board mods. There are some great tones in the VK but it takes work to get them out.
The Vypyr seems like a pretty good deal, well within my price range brand new.

How would it compare to the Randall? Keep in mind that the Randall is used.

I guess, if you were faced with my situation, which would you go for?
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Jet-City-JCA50H-Tube-Amplifier-W0QQAdIdZ321878520

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-AMPLI-GUITARE-TRAYNOR-YCV50-BLUE-W0QQAdIdZ313055157

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Peavy-ultra-60-et-cab-5150-W0QQAdIdZ318294007

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Peavey-Valveking-100-Watt-Tube-2x12-W0QQAdIdZ315847011

Kind of surprised that there aren't more options in Montreal. You'd need a cab for the Jet City, might be tough finding something that will fit your budget. Lots of marshall 1960 cabs for around $500 used on Kijiji. That Traynor (and the peavey ultra 60) would need a boost to do higher gain stuff, so they might not be what you're looking for. Traynor makes pretty good sounding gear tho.

I haven't heard a vypyr tube in person, but when you see people talking about owning one and a 6505 but use the vypyr more often, it's something to keep in mind. I think Offworld92 is selling his 6506 212 combo and just using his tube vypyr. And 311 has a splawn, but still owns a tube vypyr as well.

You really need to go try out different amps and then make your own decision.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs