Waddup People!

Approximately 2 years ago i bought a ibanez rg (420fb for the curious) For the style i was playing then (mostly metal and lower) it was perfect.
But now ive grown up a changed style a little bit
Last day i picked up my axe and after a couple minutes of playing found it to be lifeless, plain, and cold
So i decided i would change it

I currently really love santana's sound (overdriven, rich sounding) and started learning a few song. What i know about is a gibson Les Paul would do well but i'm looking for alternatives that would keep me some versatility for darker/harder stuff

What do you gives suggest i be looking at? (budget under $1k and might go used)

Also, i'm trying to improve the sound of my clean channel on my amp (Peavey XXX 40w)
Any suggestions? (overdrive, chorus, delay, etc)
There may be better options but what about the PRS Santana SE? It'll be a bit overpriced because your paying for the name but just throwing this out there.

But yes, a gibby would do nicely. You're amp's pretty important too...
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
um... Santana Model PRS ,the import version can be had for around $750. as for the amp you have the wrong one for his sound. a mesa would be ideal. carlos doesn't use pedals to get his overdive sound it's all about the amp and finding the sweet spot. a compressor might help you with the sustain and to get the notes to ring out more.
Quote by monwobobbo
um... Santana Model PRS ,the import version can be had for around $750. as for the amp you have the wrong one for his sound. a mesa would be ideal. carlos doesn't use pedals to get his overdive sound it's all about the amp and finding the sweet spot. a compressor might help you with the sustain and to get the notes to ring out more.

around $750? that's a big deal to me.
(Tube amp???) Changing your tubes might help clean up your tone a little bit.

Disregard this if TS does not have a tube amp...
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
that guitar should be fine if you pop in new pickups and pots. the stock pickups are pretty flat and better ones would give the guitar a majorly new lease on life

as for your clean channel, get new tubes. the stock tubes in peavey's tend to be average at best. a really good set of tubes will give the amp more life and more dynamics.
What you're looking for isn't really what a XXX does. Go for a different amp, the guitar is fine.
Quote by JELIFISH19
What you're looking for isn't really what a XXX does. Go for a different amp, the guitar is fine.

Well, i've tried my friend's epiphone les paul (higher model) through the clean channel and it still sounded way better than my RG...

As for the tube and pickup swap will the difference be worth the money?
Quote by T7E
Les pauls are great for anything

Not if you don't like them

TS Check out the PRS SE guitars, some people will suggest the Santana model, the Custom 24 is also really nice.

As for your clean tone, what's wrong about it that you don't like, or would like to change?
Quote by Ghold125

As for your clean tone, what's wrong about it that you don't like, or would like to change?

I find the sound kinda lifeless, colorless very cold sounding
I'm looking for a warmer sound and gave santana as an example and everyone went crazy bout it! I'm not exactly looking for HIS tone but something similar
A kind of nice hot almost bluesy tone (i say almost cause i know the limits of my amp)
Gibson would be cool if you can find a used Faded Studio for around $500. That would be better than an SE, imo, but it's a different style of guitar.

If you want a more natural distortion out of a pedal, you can always look into the Bad Monkey or the Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Edit: Oh yeah, get an EQ pedal. Don't think about it, just do it.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by W4RP1G

If you want a more natural distortion out of a pedal, you can always look into the Bad Monkey or the Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Edit: Oh yeah, get an EQ pedal. Don't think about it, just do it.

I dont need a "better" distortion, my XXX does the job quite well

What about the EQ pedal? how am i suppose to get a better tone out of this?
Check out a Fulltone OCD and run just a bit of gain on it, the Tubescreamer also does the job. It will give you just a little bit of bit and warm up the tone a bit
Quote by hellsrocker
I dont need a "better" distortion, my XXX does the job quite well

What about the EQ pedal? how am i suppose to get a better tone out of this?

Oh, you said you were looking for a great overdriven sound, I thought you were unhappy with the distortion on your amp.

If you want a warmer, more full sound, a Les Paul will certainly do it. But so will many other guitars with Alnico 5 magnet humbuckers.