So I recently purchased a Fender Blues Jr. tweed edition with the Jensen speaker. I love the way the clean sounds for that Knopfler/Clapton blues sound but I want some more grit and really dont care to push the volume past 5 with the master at about 4. Treble is 7 mids are 6 and bass is 5.5. I typically use my Clapton Strat, Peavey Wolfgang or my Gibson SG and have tried a fuzz face, my boss ds1 distortion and a tone bone classic but no luck so far on the getting near a good gritty sound. I was thinking about a Ibanez TS808HW...anyone try the Ibanez or have any other suggestions?
TS808HW is WAY overpriced for what it is. I recommend the CMATmods Signa Drive - an excellent tubescreamer clone with three selectable forms of clipping. Can get very nice and gritty.

But I've found that the best pedal for that type of sound is the Paul Cochrane Timmy. They're $129 new with about a 5 month waiting list, or go used for about $200ish. Awesome pedal.
Increase the volume, decrease the master? If you're set on a pedal, then I'd recommend a Way Huge Green Rhino....well, because I have one. Don't know much so listen to someone else. But the tubescreamers are kinda overpriced, there are clones (Green Rhino FTW) that are better for around the same price.

Seriously, disregard my suggestion.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
In my experience all Fender tube amps LOVE tubescreamers. It can be Ibanez or a clone - Fender amps love them all. If you are open to using a clone, then there is a pretty wide price range and quality, just figure out what you want to spend and start trying them out.
I've actually heard some decent things about the Way Huge But I'm really happy with my cleans so I'll leave the amp settings alone
I recommend a EHX Germanium OD. It is pretty good for getting some grit to your sound. It is based off of the early overdrive pedals that used germanium transistors. It has a volts dial that lets you dial in how much volts to feed the germanium transisters which is cool to get different types of overdrive/grit with a low battery type feel, a gain and bias dial to control your tone. Not the be all and end all but I feel its one of the better sounding pedals out there.
Quote by dlmvh5150
What are some good clones?

VFE The Screamer, Visual Sound Route 808, and Way Huge Green Rhino.
Quote by ibanart300
I recommend a EHX Germanium OD. It is pretty good for getting some grit to your sound. It is based off of the early overdrive pedals that used germanium transistors. It has a volts dial that lets you dial in how much volts to feed the germanium transisters which is cool to get different types of overdrive/grit with a low battery type feel, a gain and bias dial to control your tone. Not the be all and end all but I feel its one of the better sounding pedals out there.

That germanium OD is one of the worst and most unusable pedals i have yet to play.

I wouldn't get one but i guess it should be easy enough to find and try one out, i doubt stores have sold any.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
get a gearmanndude luther drive. not only is it an excellent maxon 808 clone, it's made by fricken gearmanndude.

+1 the luther sounds great
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by NakedInTheRain
get a gearmanndude luther drive. not only is it an excellent maxon 808 clone, it's made by fricken gearmanndude.

plus seeing as gearmanndude is Jack Black, you would get an excellent 808 clone made by Jack Black.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
well for clapton you want somthing like a Blues overdrive, not a screamer. The boss blues driver is british sounding, not american

my 2 cents.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
lmao @ jack black
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by joe_k
That germanium OD is one of the worst and most unusable pedals i have yet to play.

I wouldn't get one but i guess it should be easy enough to find and try one out, i doubt stores have sold any.

On the cheaper end of the scale it's not bad and I have heard some awesome tones with it of course the best overdrive would be more like a Klon Centaur but for a cheapy it's not bad.
Quote by darkarbiter7
plus seeing as gearmanndude is Jack Black, you would get an excellent 808 clone made by Jack Black.

This, its worth it just to know you have a pedal that Jack Black probably touched. Wonder why he doesn't admit who he is....unless he's not Jack Black (and sounds and acts like him) but then he'd be abnormally rich and would have to earn alot.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by ibanart300
On the cheaper end of the scale it's not bad and I have heard some awesome tones with it of course the best overdrive would be more like a Klon Centaur but for a cheapy it's not bad.

I'm not sure if your serious or trolling me but you are kind of right.

Yeah its not a Klon but i would still say the boss sd-1 wipes the floor with it. to each his own i guess.
Not trolling but like you said each to his own. And gearmandude isn't jack black it's Eric Horton who designs the Luther Drive.
Quote by JKHC
This, its worth it just to know you have a pedal that Jack Black probably touched. Wonder why he doesn't admit who he is....unless he's not Jack Black (and sounds and acts like him) but then he'd be abnormally rich and would have to earn alot.

Or if you want to pay an extra 80-something bucks, you can order a Luther drive which was painted by boobs. Check his channel for the video. It's his most recent one IIRC.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
This page a list of different pedals based on the tubescreamer circuit. (Heads up, there are a ton of them). I'd say just take your amp into the nearest guitar store in your area, and mess around with pedals. Everyone has an OD pedal they swear by, so IMO asking for opinions is going to give you a ton of different answers, and you might disagree with all of them.

http://www.jhspedals.com/Overdrive_Unveiling.html
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by NakedInTheRain
But I've found that the best pedal for that type of sound is the Paul Cochrane Timmy. They're $129 new with about a 5 month waiting list, or go used for about $200ish. Awesome pedal.

+1

I have a Blues Junior and 4 ODs (Rat, Dist+, Civil War Muff, and Dano TOD) and the Danelectro is by far the best for that kind of stuff... It sounds amazing... It is a Timmy clone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by NakedInTheRain

This.

Volume 3 o'clock, Drive at noon, and tone at 9 o'clock.

Pushes my AC15 beautifully.