Page 1 of 3
That's right ladies and gentleman, I Jason Jillard am building an acoustic guitar!

learning under the amazing Garren of Loucin Guitar Co in Oakville Ontario. The stuff that comes out of his shop is amazing. Building guitars for people anywhere from the session guitarist Phil X, all the way up to a certain guitarist known as Zakk Wylde.

So im am very excited to bring you guys updates on this adventure. i will try to document it as best i can. My other electric builds will be ongoing during this, so check out my other threads as they arise.

Specs:

Wenge Back and Sides
Englemann Spruce Top
mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard
Curly Maple Binding + accents
Ebony Bridge

lets get on to some pictures!

Arrival At Loucin Guitar Co.

Here is shown my first side bent, and my back glued, witch i had doen the other day.

then i glued up the top once again using this amazingly simple, tried and true jig.

Bringing the first side out of the bending jig

it all went nicely, no cracks or splinters.

marking the 2nd side for Loucin's 'soft scoop' style cutaway

and cutting it off

here i am bending the 2nd side

mark out and rough cut the back

positioning the back strip

Glueing the back strip down via the go-bar deck

bookmacthed the cutoffs of the back to use as a backplate on my headstock

and the new look of the Jillard 3x3 headstock.

i will be working on this often, so expect updates. expect some pretty amazing thigns in this acoustic including:

custom rossette
custom inlay
an armrest
upper bout soundhole
and more!
This is going to be a great guitar. The first Jillard acoustic... Cant wait to see this one. I wish i had a Jillard custom...
Quote by Jason Jillard
i wish you had one too. you should totally get one.

Haha, i so agree . I promise you that you will build my first high end guitar.. But im now a poor teenager with no money and no job, so....
I've played a Loucin once and it was the best acoustic to have ever sat in my lap. Sang like I didn't know a guitar could.
*they're

Lookin sweet, Jason! I look forward to seeing this finished! I'm eventually hoping to get an apprenticeship and build a 7 string GS style acoustic....
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I was planning a 24.75"-25.5" fan on my rhythm tele with the perpendicular at the 5th or 6th for the best comfort while chording, that gives only a 15mm difference at the bridge (which most importantly I can manage on the 6 saddle ashtray bridge I'll be using)

I chose the scales and perpendicular placement based on my arm angle while playing rhythm.

Not really got a point as I haven't built it yet to vouch for it, just sharing, as you were thinking about it as food for your thought :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
ok.. so came home from the shop the other day.. and my computer was fried..

so tonight i went out and got a new power supply, that seemed to fix everything. and then i was able to uplaod pcis from the other day! woooooo

so ehres the top, glued up and rough cut

the lower side is all bent and looking pretty

and then i went and bent the soft scoop style cutaway piece

using this mold, we cut the sides to length

a quick pic of my end block

and glueing the end block to the 2 sides

now, rememebr that bookmatched scrap i made?

lets make a rosette!

i routed it until 2/3rds deep, then sanded it with the thickness sander

until it just pops out

then i routed the rosette channel

and ehres my rosette installed, with black/maple purfling on either side

cheers guys! im back working on this on friday, so stay tuned!
Quote by Jason Jillard
cheers guys! im back working on this on friday, so stay tuned!

Looks good.

And don't worry. I won't change the channel.
Where's Waldo?
alrighty, ive been a little under the weather, but i got to the shop yesterday and made some solid progress.

this is my rim after removing the clamps from gluing the back block

then i proceeded to glue my heel block( SA mahog.), and a support strip to the 'soft scoop' style cutaway.

well that was drying, i moved on to some work on the back fo the guitar.

staretd by masking off the sides, and used a handplane to rough out a gentle curve across the backstrip.

follow that up by sanding to 220 with a shaped sanding block.

i then sanded my top to thickness, wicth ended coming in aroudn 100 thousandths of an inch.

then using the same jig i used to route the rosette, i cut out my soundhole.
here is the roughstock englemann spruce i'll use for my back bracings.

i planned it and rough cut it, then used this jig to put the radius on the bottoms

i then used the gobar deck to glue them to the back. (afetr i first cut slots into the backstrip, i forgot to take pics)

at this point in the day, my cutaway was ready to be removed from the clamps

and then i finished the day off by glueing up the entire rim.

starting to look like a guitar.. =]
Jason is building an Acoustic????? *faints dies rolls over and revive action motion*

Hey Jason you up to build me an SG shaped guitar next year? I want to make it official by june or before that once i am already in the military and got the cash (i could probably come up with it before that lol).

I can't wait to see new updates on this one *follows* i'll be 100% sure to see this through.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Jason funny thing i have your email jotte down in like 5 different places in 4 points across the world, is that funny enough how much im on the move? Lol

Ok, so whenever i got that half i'll shoot you up, can't wait to start this
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Last edited by Heilz at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by Jason Jillard
why would i steal someone else's idea on a guitar being made by and for me? lol

Saying that is like asking why you would put normal dot inlays or Gibson style inlays on any gutiar. Nightswan inlay patterns arn't that orginal, they're just dots in a wave pattern. I don't know if you have ever seen one but it can hardly be called stealing. No offence, I'm just saying. I understand that you don't want to steal other peoples ideas just like I don't want too.

Quote by da_
Saying that is like asking why you would put normal dot inlays or Gibson style inlays on any gutiar. Nightswan inlay patterns arn't that orginal, they're just dots in a wave pattern. I don't know if you have ever seen one but it can hardly be called stealing. No offence, I'm just saying. I understand that you don't want to steal other peoples ideas just like I don't want too.

Why do you feel that if you're just like "hey you should do this" he should be like "hokay, I'll get right on that". It's his guitar, he'll do what he wants.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Why do you feel that if you're just like "hey you should do this" he should be like "hokay, I'll get right on that". It's his guitar, he'll do what he wants.

I wasn't the one that suggested the idea. I was just expressing my opinion that a nightswan inlay wasn't much different to most "normal" inlays on guitars and that it wouldn't really be stealing since most people, including Jason, have done "normal" straight dot inlays before or other common neck inlays. If he thinks its to un-original to do or he doesn’t like it then that’s up to him. He might not have known what a nightswan inlay was and thought that it was some sort of really original idea that Kramer came up with and didn't want to steal it and be un-original which I completely agree with him on. But like I said, I don't think the nightswan inlay is that original and I wasn't the one that suggested the idea. Sorry Jason for the hijack, I didn't mean it to happen. Nice build so far.
Quote by da_
He might not have known what a nightswan inlay was

i have google, i know what everything is =P

but yeah, first off, the nightswan inlay would only look good on a multiscale. imo

2nd, i hardly ever use the classic dot placement unless i'm trying to be more classic/vintage looking (lp jr, some teles)

functionality is most important, and i find the small ofset dots the easiest to read, and the msot classy looking.

i may end up doing a 12th fret inlay, or a more complex headstock inlay though.
A complex 12 fret inlay + a complexier haedstock inlay + no inlay on the rest of the neck = total badassness
man.. crappy camera the past 2 days.. but pics none the less.

got my back braces shaped, and the cutout...cut..out...

then i shaped them to final shape

if your curious as to how, i used a special jig built onto a little disk/belt sander. it had these boards to adjsut the hight. thers a 2 min video of me using it here, kinda boring watch, but a really cool jig. used for headstock thicknessing and other stuff too.
*click for video*

then i marked out the bracings for my top

and gleud msot of the pieces down. (the x brace was not glued, to allow easy shaping of the other bits.

here it is once dry

then i shaped the parts needed shaping, and glued everything else down

here i am getting ready for bowl sanding

bowl sanding jig

KERFING!
Last edited by Jason Jillard at Oct 26, 2011,
That's alot of pegs! :p

Looking good man!
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive