Page 1 of 2
How hard is it? Can you live on a reasonable amount of income?

I'm not thinking about moving out till I at least get my associates (hopefully in a year), but I am trying to figure out if I can do it. No, I'm not some young noob with teenage angst. I've got a substantial amount (at least I think so, but it would probably diminish rather fast) saved up all from working.

This thread isn't really to assess if I can do it or not, but more so to tell of your challenges that you have encountered with living on your own. Advice, tips, experiences, etc...
Quote by High&Mighty
How hard is it? Can you live on a reasonable amount of income?

I'm not thinking about moving out till I at least get my associates (hopefully in a year), but I am trying to figure out if I can do it. No, I'm not some young noob with teenage angst. I've got a substantial amount (at least I think so, but it would probably diminish rather fast) saved up all from working.

This thread isn't really to assess if I can do it or not, but more so to tell of your challenges that you have encountered with living on your own. Advice, tips, experiences, etc...

Rent = 400 - 700
Food = 300 - 400
Cable/Internet = 40 - 80
Utilities = 50 - 100 (if not more)

These are all per month. I pay almost $700 per month for rent and its a nicer place in a nicer neighborhood, and its a one bedroom apartment. Those food costs are probably going to be higher than you think. Now add in the extras such as entertainment, non essentials, and a million other things. I'm not saying don't do it, but its worth a thought.

EDIT: The $700 is for rent alone, not including anything else, including utilities.
Last edited by Kenjisan231 at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by High&Mighty
How much were you spending a month on average?
Less than I spend now. When I lived on my own I didn't pay rent or bills, I didn't have TV or internet, didn't pay council tax. Just had to get the shopping in. Free accommodation through work FTW
I love it...

Growing up, my parents always used to tell me that living alone is insanely hard because of all the housework and bills and responsibility. Couldn't be further from the truth. All of my bills are direct debited, the only housework is whatever I create (clothes, dishes, rubbish) and a vacuum and dust once a week, and responsibility is a joke. I don't damage anything or annoy anyone. I live the way I want, and I love it. I don't think it's difficult at all.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Interesting interesting. Did any of you guys have landlord problems? like finding a landlord who would rent to a 20ish year old (assuming you guys are around there)
My parents finance a hefty chunk of my living costs for some reason, so I'm fine.
My landlord is currently obstructing a police inquiry with myself, so.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
The only worry is choking on your food.

Actually, to be completely honest, this is one of my biggest worries. If I fell in the shower, or had a stroke, or something like that while my girlfriend was visiting her parents or something, there would be nothing to alert people to my situation other than a lack of phone activity...

It's not exactly comforting to think of.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by instagata0
Actually, to be completely honest, this is one of my biggest worries. If I fell in the shower, or had a stroke, or something like that while my girlfriend was visiting her parents or something, there would be nothing to alert people to my situation other than a lack of phone activity...

It's not exactly comforting to think of.

You live in Australia. Being killed every few minutes is to be expected.
Who the hell pays 300-400 for food? Set a budget and stick to it.

I pay $450 for rent, including utilities, with three other guys in a very nice house in a decent neighborhood. The landlord is super chill, and it's been great. I probably pay about $100 a month for actual groceries, though I do eat out probably once or twice a week. I'm also 20.

I could live on about 8 grand a year, which isn't hard to come up with if you can find a $10/hr job, which, as a 20 year old, should be relatively easy.

Also, if you get roommates, sit down early and come up with some house rules and stuff for you guys to agree on. Just simplifies things for later on. Also, if you're willing to do some work for the landlord around the place, they might knock some off of your rent. We stained our deck, and our landlord knocked $50 off all of our rents. Probably took us 2 hours all together, and he bought all the equipment.
Last edited by CrossBack7 at Oct 13, 2011,
Yeah, I thought 3-400 for food looked expensive. And honestly, I could live off eggs for a long time. They would get old though, as would be expected.

I'm currently making about 220 a week for a part time job (which gives me benefits in another 6 months) . Have 12K saved, but if I were to live on my own I'd have to find a better job or another part time one.
Last edited by High&Mighty at Oct 13, 2011,
I live on my own...I get all my money from my pr0nz foto shoots.....i have samples in my sig if you want to see what i am talking about...
I haz gotten gud
Finish your school and find a buddy to get a place together. Find a real job and move out after a year or so on your own when you're more comfortable.

Just what I would do. Living on your own without having to worry about money so much is a lot more fun.
My wife and I live pretty comfortably at a household income of about 30-35K a year. Rent is about 750.
My God, it's full of stars!
I did at one point. But due to unfortunate circumstances, it did not last. I enjoyed the sense of freedom, but there was a lot of shit in the situation that I was in.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Dreadnought
My wife and I live pretty comfortably at a household income of about 30-35K a year. Rent is about 750.

Do you have any plans of buying your own house?
Quote by CrossBack7
Who the hell pays 300-400 for food? Set a budget and stick to it.

I pay $450 for rent, including utilities, with three other guys in a very nice house in a decent neighborhood. The landlord is super chill, and it's been great. I probably pay about $100 a month for actual groceries, though I do eat out probably once or twice a week. I'm also 20.

I could live on about 8 grand a year, which isn't hard to come up with if you can find a $10/hr job, which, as a 20 year old, should be relatively easy.

Also, if you get roommates, sit down early and come up with some house rules and stuff for you guys to agree on. Just simplifies things for later on. Also, if you're willing to do some work for the landlord around the place, they might knock some off of your rent. We stained our deck, and our landlord knocked $50 off all of our rents. Probably took us 2 hours all together, and he bought all the equipment.

Your landlord sounds like a cool dude.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by devourke
Do you have any plans of buying your own house?

Yes, we are currently saving up for our down payment. Looking at getting one in as early as a year from now.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Yes, we are currently saving up for our down payment. Looking at getting one in as early as a year from now.

That's pretty clit.
MATTERHORN
Quote by orangbaek
Nice Info Guys ....................ilike It

I predict that this user will post an ad/spam thread soon.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Dreadnought

I wish you all the best in that bro.
I got lonely really fast when I was living on my own. It wasn't bad most of the time, but it would have been nice to go home and have someone else there. I remember just going out drinking like 4 nights a week with friends so that i wasnt going back home alone :p Roommates are nice, but I guess it really depends where you are in life. I was still 18 when i moved out on my own, now at 19 im with friends and love it
My advice to you is everytime your mom makes a meal watch how she does and learn, learn, learn. You may think now that you know how to cook, but so does everyone else. I guarentee you will get bored of your cooking within a few weeks. Knowing how to cook ten or so meals just won't cut it, if you eat 3-4 a day you're going to be eating the same meals two to even three times a week. It will get boring and soon you will be sick of all your favourites foods. Don't be afraid to try something for the first time either, grab a recipe book from the family, or use the internet. Can't tell you how many meals I learned from the web.

Also don't rely on fast food either, besides obvious health concerns it will kill your budget, and fast. Eating out once or maybe twice a week isn't bad, but try to go on days you can score a deal, ie. whopper wednesday, and don't buy drinks/fries, bring a juice box or water bottle from home. Speaking of deals, look into coupons, those things are lifesavers. many grocery stores post coupons you can print out from there website and save a dickload of money.

My only other advice would be if you don't have a car to really take into consideration how close certain places are like the grocery store (two blocks might not seem far until you have to carry six grocery bags through them), and if you can't get close enough, get close to a corner store that you can pick up milk, bread, eggs from.. work/school, and a bus route for everything else out of walking distance..

And if you're gonna live alone (which I honestly wouldn't recommend) make sure you live damn close to some friends caus you're gonna get lonely. I do say try to find a/some roommate(s), I'd consider it the first step to moving out. Second step would be being a bachelor, third living with a women.

Good luck brah
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
My college roommates and I furnished our entire apartment for six dollars by going to the Salvation army for furniture.

Just pray they cleaned it well.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
My college roommates and I furnished our entire apartment for six dollars by going to the Salvation army for furniture.

Just pray they cleaned it well.

Douse it all in bleach. Clean furniture and it will all be the same color.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Never lived completely on my own, but living with others it great, you feel independant, live with good friends, and can do what you want. I am a student at the moment, so i am using student loan money, but i am looking for a job and most places do about 6-8 quid per hour, with about 10 hours per week, i could do more but it might get in the way of studies. Only downsides to it is that things can become stressful with bills, landlords are usually bad people, and sometimes you can fall out with housemates just because seeing them so much makes you notice the little things that annoy you about them.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Kenjisan231
Rent = 400 - 700
Food = 300 - 400
Cable/Internet = 40 - 80
Utilities = 50 - 100 (if not more)

Dude you eat a lot.

TS I moved out when I was 18, had a low paying job, got by and managed to save plenty of money for college. It wasn't fun but it's very possible.
Quote by instagata0
I love it...

Growing up, my parents always used to tell me that living alone is insanely hard because of all the housework and bills and responsibility. Couldn't be further from the truth. All of my bills are direct debited, the only housework is whatever I create (clothes, dishes, rubbish) and a vacuum and dust once a week, and responsibility is a joke. I don't damage anything or annoy anyone. I live the way I want, and I love it. I don't think it's difficult at all.

Yeah, living on your own is as hard as you want to make it, or as easy as you want to make it. So long as you have the rent, food, and heat covered, everything else is essentially a luxury because it's not actualy needed.
Of course, no one would expect you to live in a room with no furniture and no lighting doing nothing all day, but the point is, if you insist on a lavish lifestyle, it's obviously gonna be hard to maintane on a low income.

It's all about living to one's means.
Quote by Wiegenlied
My advice to you is everytime your mom makes a meal watch how she does and learn, learn, learn. You may think now that you know how to cook, but so does everyone else. I guarentee you will get bored of your cooking within a few weeks. Knowing how to cook ten or so meals just won't cut it, if you eat 3-4 a day you're going to be eating the same meals two to even three times a week. It will get boring and soon you will be sick of all your favourites foods. Don't be afraid to try something for the first time either, grab a recipe book from the family, or use the internet. Can't tell you how many meals I learned from the web.

Good luck brah

That's a good point. My mom makes some good meals, but I never really pay attention to how she does it. I'm gonna have to start doing that.
Page 1 of 2