Page 1 of 2
http://occupymelbourne.org/
We face similar problems with our democracy here in Victoria and Australia as people face in most other developed nations. Our democracy is unwell. Our elected representatives no longer represent their constituents, instead their ears are turned by wealthy lobby groups, whilst the common interests of the people they were elected to represent, are ignored. Some levels of our government are also rife with corruption.

It’s time our elected representatives actually started representing the 99% of the population who don’t have enormous wealth and political influence. Who suffer the social, economic and environmental consequences of corporate greed. Who work to generate enormous wealth for a mere 1% of the population.

Inspired by the actions of those striving for democracy in North Africa and the Middle East, and similar demonstrations throughout Europe and more recently, in the United States. From these events, “Occupy Together”, a global social movement for real democracy, has grown. It is from this global movement that Occupy Melbourne has grown.

Occupy Melbourne is not affiliated with any political party, Adbusters, Anonymous or any other organisation

I'm not exactly sure what they want. Or why they are even protesting, I'd hardly say that Australian politics is governed by the wealthy in any way compared to the US.
Seems pretty stupid to me

Thought's on this?
RIP Gooze

cats
This is a worldwide problem. It may not be as bad in Australia (I don't know) but if they feel that they need to protest more power to them.
TS you do realize that the rich have always governed what governments do. Its been happen since the beginning of time. Ever since a guy with more goats than anybody else in his tribe told the tribal chief to kill the other tribe because wants the goats for his herd.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Idiots who don't understand how an economy works, that's all. 99% of them don't know the meaning of the word poor.
Pardon me while I Occupy My Toilet.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by mulefish
http://occupymelbourne.org/

I'm not exactly sure what they want. Or why they are even protesting, I'd hardly say that Australian politics is governed by the wealthy in any way compared to the US.
Seems pretty stupid to me

Thought's on this?

Shame on you Australians. Out of curiousity, is "Chaser's War" still being made? It just started airing in New Zealand on Comedy Central, and it's showing episodes from when Rudd was in power.

Quote by iwannabesedated
This is a worldwide problem. It may not be as bad in Australia (I don't know) but if they feel that they need to protest more power to them.

Fuck off. Ya'll niggas don't know about how kickass it is in New Zealand.
Quote by deathdrummer
TS you do realize that the rich have always governed what governments do. Its been happen since the beginning of time. Ever since a guy with more goats than anybody else in his tribe told the tribal chief to kill the other tribe because wants the goats for his herd.

It is much more prevalent in the US then Australia. The rich definitely have an impact [mining super profits tax] But likening it to America is misinformed fear mongering.
To me this just seems like a weaker version of occupy wall street, with even less of an aim.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by bradulator
Pardon me while I Occupy My Toilet.

that was a Sh*t joke

Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
so uhhh, what exactly are they complaining, im in melbourne and even i duno wtf there on about
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Who would've thunk that the Arab Spring would inspire the DEVELOPED nations to rise up and protest lmaaaaoooo
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by devourke

That is exactly what the next sentence in my post said.
But I thought Melbourne was already occupied..........................................................by Foreign cab drivers.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by MetalManForLife
so uhhh, what exactly are they complaining, im in melbourne and even i duno wtf there on about

In general they are fed up with the super rich having control of the way the country is run. They feel that a very small amount of people exert far more control with their money than the masses could ever do in a voting booth, and they want that fixed.
Quote by devourke
Shame on you Australians. Out of curiousity, is "Chaser's War" still being made? It just started airing in New Zealand on Comedy Central, and it's showing episodes from when Rudd was in power.

Nah not really. Although it really went downhill after they did APEC stunt, as after that everyone knew about them, and they couldn't do some of their funny stunts without being identified.
Now they have a new show called the Hamster wheel. Which is pretty good, but different:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Dsgp0ocIs
RIP Gooze

cats
Ya know, i understand not understanding protesters without specific demands.

What I do not understand is ridiculing them for not understanding why, after years of just as much hard work as the wealthy, they are trampled upon.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by iwannabesedated
That is exactly what the next sentence in my post said.

I hope you're trolling me bro.
I honestly don't get what all this "Occupy" crap is. Can someone fill me in?
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Gorelord666

Occupy Your Toilet. Then you will understand.

Down with the bourgeoisie!
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by iwannabesedated

We have very similar problems. Mostly regarding that 'class' gap and the attitude towards the poor.

I said it about the wall street one, and I'll say it about this one: Get your priorities right. Plan first, protest later.
Quote by Butt Rayge
We have very similar problems. Mostly regarding that 'class' gap and the attitude towards the poor.

I said it about the wall street one, and I'll say it about this one: Get your priorities right. Plan first, protest later.

I would disagree, because the charm of this protest is that it's mostly unplanned. The idea that people just started protesting without it being an organized effort is almost romantic.
Occupy my anus.

Because why not? Everything else is on the list already.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Gorelord666

It started with a blog on adbusters which wanted people to 'Occupy Wallstreet' as they believed that the super wealthy controlled politics. Their aim was to get a Presidential Commission to seperate money from politics. 4chan found out about 'Occupy Wallstreet' and expanded the pool of people that knew about it, but also changed the message to the "We are the 99%, they are the 1%" that you hear about. As you probably know, the original demand is now known by barely anyone in the movement which is now full of hipsters and people just wanting to protest.

Now it's spreading for some random reason.
Quote by devourke
It started with a blog on adbusters which wanted people to 'Occupy Wallstreet' as they believed that the super wealthy controlled politics. Their aim was to get a Presidential Commission to seperate money from politics. 4chan found out about 'Occupy Wallstreet' and expanded the pool of people that knew about it, but also changed the message to the "We are the 99%, they are the 1%" that you hear about. As you probably know, the original demand is now known by barely anyone in the movement which is now full of hipsters and people just wanting to protest.

Now it's spreading for some random reason.

It's spreading because people are generally in favor of "redistributing the wealth" as the right wing likes to call it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20120052-503544.html
Quote by mulefish
Nah not really. Although it really went downhill after they did APEC stunt, as after that everyone knew about them, and they couldn't do some of their funny stunts without being identified.
Now they have a new show called the Hamster wheel. Which is pretty good, but different:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Dsgp0ocIs

I really like the Hamster Wheel It has many aspects of the old show, but I think it's smarter.
They want to feel as if their meaningless lives are contributing to something.
Quote by Lost Dog
They want to feel as if their meaningless lives are contributing to something.

But that's how we all feel.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I really like the Hamster Wheel It has many aspects of the old show, but I think it's smarter.

In general I'd agree. Some of it's still stupid though.
But yeah, I like it too.

Quote by iwannabesedated
I would disagree, because the charm of this protest is that it's mostly unplanned. The idea that people just started protesting without it being an organized effort is almost romantic.

But then it loses credibility.
RIP Gooze

cats
I'm impressed with these sorts of grassroots advancements towards international solidarity. This is fantastic.
Quote by mulefish
In general I'd agree. Some of it's still stupid though.
But yeah, I like it too.

I always get distracted by the twitter feed.
Quote by mulefish

I disagree. If it was unorganized in the first place it gaining organization and strength over time would only help to strengthen its credibility.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I always get distracted by the twitter feed.

Some of them are amazing
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by iwannabesedated
I disagree. If it was unorganized in the first place it gaining organization and strength over time would only help to strengthen its credibility.

+1

I think a bottom-up, spontaneous organization of protesters disenfranchised with the failures of capitalism is inspiring if anything. I don't see how the impromptu nature of the protests eliminates their credibility.
Quote by due 07
+1

I think a bottom-up, spontaneous organization of protesters disenfranchised with the failures of capitalism is inspiring if anything. I don't see how the impromptu nature of the protests eliminates their credibility.

This is exactly why I voted for you.
Quote by devourke

It'd be more kick ass if Bill and Ben had got into parliament.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by due 07
+1

But Wall Street was planned more than 2 months in advance.
Quote by devourke
But Wall Street was planned more than 2 months in advance.

The beginnings of the protest have little to do with what it has become.
Quote by due 07
+1

But not having any demands or a clear goal defeats the purpose of the protest. How can they achieve anything if they don't know what they're trying to achieve?
Page 1 of 2