What's the difference between daisy chaining two cabs to one amp or running both cabs on stereo? I have an Ampeg solid state bass amp (b2re) that does 250w @8 ohms and 450w @4 ohms. I have a 4x10 cab, so with just that one, it's running at 250w. If I daisy chain another 4x10, it'll go down to 4ohms (I think), and run at 450w. But if I use 2 8ohm amps in stereo, will that be 250w+250w (500w)? I know it's a dumb question, but this amp stuff confuses me.

Any help is appreciated
if you plug in 2 8 ohm cabs it would be 4 ohms which would give you 450w not sure what daisy chaining would give you for ohms it would depend on how the cab is wired i would think
No real advantage unless you want to EQ the two heads differently for effect. Using the one head into a smaller load brings it up to the same power pretty much as you showed.
The amp will run down to 4 ohm with no drama at all so do it. It's the most power efficient way to do it. The difference between 450W and 500W is practically inaudible. Make the single Ampeg work, it will take it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Macavity22
What's the difference between daisy chaining two cabs to one amp or running both cabs on stereo? I have an Ampeg solid state bass amp (b2re) that does 250w @8 ohms and 450w @4 ohms. I have a 4x10 cab, so with just that one, it's running at 250w. If I daisy chain another 4x10, it'll go down to 4ohms (I think), and run at 450w. But if I use 2 8ohm amps in stereo, will that be 250w+250w (500w)? I know it's a dumb question, but this amp stuff confuses me.

Any help is appreciated

First of all - does the amp head even do stereo?

If not - then forget about that part.

Typically daisy chaining will divide your ohms in half so yeah ... 2 - 8 ohm cabs = 4 total

2 - 8 ohm cabs in stereo means they will be treated separately. The amp would have to have 2 jacks designated for stereo use. I think. No?

the 450 vs 500 is just rounding and such, don't get hung up on that. Or RMS - again don't get hung.

What are you wanting to do? It might be easier to work with that instead.
He said two amps 311. Basically it means, if you use the same cabs then you are adding a whole other 450W amp to effectively get and extra 50W. It just aint worth it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
First of all - does the amp head even do stereo?

If not - then forget about that part.

Typically daisy chaining will divide your ohms in half so yeah ... 2 - 8 ohm cabs = 4 total

2 - 8 ohm cabs in stereo means they will be treated separately. The amp would have to have 2 jacks designated for stereo use. I think. No?

the 450 vs 500 is just rounding and such, don't get hung up on that. Or RMS - again don't get hung.

What are you wanting to do? It might be easier to work with that instead.

Yeah, the amp does do stereo I believe. As far as what I'm trying to do...just get a little more power. I had an 8x10 for a while which sounded great, but I would rather cart around 2 4x10's to shows and such instead of spending half an hour wedging a single 8x10 into the back seat of my car.

As far as my scenario goes, it sounds like daisy chaining and running and stereo will pretty much give me the same results. What's a case where one method would be better than the other? Just out of curiosity
Quote by Cathbard
He said two amps 311. Basically it means, if you use the same cabs then you are adding a whole other 450W amp to effectively get and extra 50W. It just aint worth it.

I don't see where it says 2 amps Cath.

Do you have 2 amps Macavity?

If you just have 1 amp and it has a stereo option then you could run a wet/dry signal which might be cool. Otherwise, I don't really see the point for bass guitar. I do see your point about using 2 x 410 instead of 1 x 810.

Either way, to Cath's point - you will not notice any differences in these ohms/watts scenario. That is if everything were equal. Speakers were the same, same type of cab/material and you stacked them.

1 - 810 cab running at 450watts
2 - 410 cabs running at 500 total and 8 ohms
2 - 410 cabs daisy chained at 450 watts and 4 ohms

No advantages in volume, efficiency, etc.

Now, depending on the venues and such there may be disadvantages/advantages to each. I would think a 810 cab would project better due to its height. It technically should sound louder to you because of that (ear level). If you stacked two 410s of the exact same everything it would technically sound the same.

Now, if you are talking about buying 2 new 410 (or used) ones there can be some advantages tonally. you can buy different cabs or different speakers? You can buy more efficient speakers. You can spread the cabs apart to give yourself a fuller sound (not sure if that is even desired with bass guitar).

I take it you are getting drowned out at gigs?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Do you have 2 amps Macavity?

If you just have 1 amp and it has a stereo option then you could run a wet/dry signal which might be cool. Otherwise, I don't really see the point for bass guitar. I do see your point about using 2 x 410 instead of 1 x 810.

Either way, to Cath's point - you will not notice any differences in these ohms/watts scenario. That is if everything were equal. Speakers were the same, same type of cab/material and you stacked them.

1 - 810 cab running at 450watts
2 - 410 cabs running at 500 total and 8 ohms
2 - 410 cabs daisy chained at 450 watts and 4 ohms

No advantages in volume, efficiency, etc.

Now, depending on the venues and such there may be disadvantages/advantages to each. I would think a 810 cab would project better due to its height. It technically should sound louder to you because of that (ear level). If you stacked two 410s of the exact same everything it would technically sound the same.

Now, if you are talking about buying 2 new 410 (or used) ones there can be some advantages tonally. you can buy different cabs or different speakers? You can buy more efficient speakers. You can spread the cabs apart to give yourself a fuller sound (not sure if that is even desired with bass guitar).

I take it you are getting drowned out at gigs?

Yeah, I only have a single amp, and as of right now, a single 4x10. I haven't really considered what exactly I'm going to get for another 4x10...right now I have an Ampeg (B410HE I believe) which I've had good luck with, so I was thinking of just grabbing another one of those, although I'm open to suggestions if you have any? I don't know a ton about amps in general, let alone specific speakers in cabs, etc.

I do get drowned out to some degree. The only time I'm really audible is if my volume and gain are both maxed out on my amp, which, as I'm sure you can imagine, doesn't really sound all that pretty.
are you playing bass or guitar?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
are you playing bass or guitar?

Bass. Amp is an Ampeg B2Re
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by Macavity22

Any help is appreciated

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well either way I stand by what I said. Plug in the extra cab in parallel with the current one. That may only result in about a 3dB increase in volume because of the lower impedance but it will be a bigger wall of speakers getting that increased power. You'll hear yourself far better.
It's a mono amp, there is no stereo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100