So I was screwing around on my guitar and came out with this skynyrd like tune , and one of the parts goes something like this

e|--------------|
B|-2-2----------|
G|-2-2------4---|
D|-2-2---0--5---|
A|-0-0------5---|
E|------3---3---|

Basically, if i coded that so its a legible tab (lol), I'm playing an A Open Chord, and then the weird power chord, but do the the more upbeat tempo, the way I finger it slows me down a lot.

What I Mean by that, is that the way I bar the A Open, then use my ring finger to play the G note, then the power chord. This slows me down a lot, so am I just playing it wrong, or is there a better sounding, better positioned G5?

Sorry for my lack of musical terminology, I'm a newb.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Actually that's not a G5. It's a regular G chord. The 4 on the G string is a B, the third note in a G scale, which makes it a G major. You could screw around with a couple different voicings of a G chord. Just make sure that every note you strum will either be a G, B, or D. If the lowest pitched note you strum is not a G, but either a B or a D, it will be an inversion. It will have a different sound. I can't really explain it, since I really haven't screwed around with different voicings. Just mess around with it. This is one of the reasons why knowing the fretboard is so important.
you could just play it like

e|--------------|
B|-2-2----------|
G|-2-2------0--|
D|-2-2---0--0---|
A|-0-0------2---|
E|------3---3---|
no the last chord would be <3x000x> if you were to reposition it, but you could add that B, 2nd fret A-string if you want
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by dkeenan

What I Mean by that, is that the way I bar the A Open, then use my ring finger to play the G note, then the power chord. This slows me down a lot, so am I just playing it wrong, or is there a better sounding, better positioned G5?

Sorry for my lack of musical terminology, I'm a newb.
The most common 5th chords, or, "power chords", are formed from the barre voicing of E major open, and A Major open. An old guitar teacher said, "when I'm playing the rhythm, I strum only the bottom 4 strings of the guitar". In barre positions, this automatically renders a half assed version of power chords. OK, for these to be a true 5th chord, you have to miss playing the 3rd of the chord also.

These diagrams will be backwards to what you're used to. But, as long as you realize that going in, you should be able to adjust: http://leftyfretz.com/left-handed-guitar-learn-powerchord-chart/

While it's true you can form a 5th chord anywhere on the neck, it sort of negates the low end punch these chords are intended to produce. At higher registers, playing a root and 5th together, would be more of a 2 string lead harmony approach.
Quote by dkeenan
So I was screwing around on my guitar and came out with this skynyrd like tune , and one of the parts goes something like this

e|--------------|
B|-2-2----------|
G|-2-2------4---|
D|-2-2---0--5---|
A|-0-0------5---|
E|------3---3---|

What about this:

e|--------------|
B|-2-2----------|
G|-2-2------4---|
D|-2-2------5---|
A|-0-0---5--5---|
E|------3---3---|

Instead of playing the D on the open string play it at the fifth fret of the 5th string -you're going there anyway. You should have time to position your other fingers when you're playing the G on the 6th string.
Last edited by Jehannum at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by BornToLooze
you could just play it like

e|--------------|
B|-2-2----------|
G|-2-2------0--|
D|-2-2---0--0---|
A|-0-0------2---|
E|------3---3---|

TS, to keep more within the country-esque rock styling of Lynyrd Skynrd this is the best option. Open strings are the way forward! Progression A - G

Incidentally, another option could be...
---------
-5-5------3-
-6-6------4-
-7-7-5p0--5-
-0-0------0-
-------

Progression A - G/A

Either way you choose, both progressions are in A Mixolydian....but don't worry about all that shit.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by Jehannum
What about this:

e|--------------|
B|-2-2----------|
G|-2-2------4---|
D|-2-2------5---|
A|-0-0---5--5---|
E|------3---3---|

Instead of playing the D on the open string play it at the fifth fret of the 5th string -you're going there anyway. You should have time to position your other fingers when you're playing the G on the 6th string.

I actually thought of that this morning when I was fooling around with this, and it made perfect sense. But you seemed to have clarified it really good.

I'll mess around with the chord shapes when I get back home, but thank you for your help. It was kind of frustrating that I couldn't play this, but I'll definitely try the new chord shapes.

Thanks a lot.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Quote by Jehannum
What about this:

e|--------------|
B|-2-2----------|
G|-2-2------4---|
D|-2-2------5---|
A|-0-0---5--5---|
E|------3---3---|

thats how i would have play it