hey guys. so ive been looking for a back-up/second guitar for quite a while. i currently have an epiphone zakk les paul custom with an emg81/85 set. while i do love it, i wanted something lighter, cleaner, passive, and more bluesy.

after looking patiently for strats and other guitars i finally found this:
(excuse the crappy cell phone pics; currently in college, no camera)

its a fender stratocaster MIM 2003(or 2004) "special edition"...or at least thats what the sticker says.
i found it on craigslist for 175$
some dude about my age (18) was selling it cus he doesnt play guitar an a friend of his that moved gave it to him and told him to sell it.

now for the extensive review:
well its a strat....but i can honestly say ive played crappy strats, and ive played good ones. this is a great one
Playability:
the reason i love this one: its so easy to play. the action is really low, the neck is fast as hell. im not sure what guage the strings are, but it is so easy to barr chords. bends like butter too. im guessing the frets are low, cus really you barely have to press down on the strings. the cutaway on a strat is more than im used to on a les paul, and the higher frets are easy to access. the only thing i was worried about was the strings cus they are closer to the body then im used to...i got used to it pretty quickly tho, and it was no problem
Sound:
as you guys see, two of the pickups are white and the humbucker is black...im not really sure if its all original. the single coils sound great; one of my fears with a strat(mostly a mexican one) was crappy pickups that are too bright. the neck and middle have clarity but not too trebely as i expected. heavenly cleans are a nice change from the brutalness of emgs. the humbucker is a seymour duncan ? ? something...i like i though. i still get that overdriven humbucker sound while it sounds natural, and classic...like jimmy page or something. and again im pleasently surprized that its not too trebely. im really liking the versatility of this guitar, i feel like i can play blues, funk, reggae, rock, hard rock, and some metal. compared to my emgs, what ive noticed is how different the channels on my amp sound. clean, crunch, and od all sound very different. the sounds are more pronounced as opposed to my emgs.
Looks:
i love the look of a strat with a maple neck. this neck is very light(in color); i see some stains that seem to come from wear. it makes it look reliced almost, like a reggea guitar or something thats been played; love the worn look. i typically like vintage stained maple necks, but this one looks unique. the finish is from what ive searched "midnight blue". i dig the uniqueness. the black piguard also gives it a distinct look. i may replace it with a white pickguard eventually so i can paint on it, something ive always wanted to do. other than that there are two small dings on the top. theyre not nasty and dont look bad; it gives the guitar mojo. the whole vibe of the guitar makes me happy; a worn guitar that i can play and enjoy without worry of getting dings on it....again a nice opposite from my epi thats so shiny, clean, and flawless

overall, best 175$ i ever spent....also came with a nice levy's strap
oh also, if you guys have any idea what pickups are in there(or how to figure it out), or any info on the guitar let me know
No idea what the guitar actually is but that seems a good score! HNGD
That is a nice strat. I've always wanted a blue one myself. I didn't know college students weren't allowed to own cameras. Glad I didn't tell anyone that I had one.
Quote by MonkeysHamlet
That is a nice strat. I've always wanted a blue one myself. I didn't know college students weren't allowed to own cameras. Glad I didn't tell anyone that I had one.

but being broke sucks....the only downside to this ngd is im down to 50bucks...oh well it was worth it
That looks like an older Players Strat but I cant be sure. Obviously someone modded it out with the SD in the bridge. Congrats on the new axe dude!
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Hell yeah! Happy NGD! For the neck and mid check out lace sensors. I prefer the classic "gold" but lace makes 'em hotter.
Im not a huge fender fan, but that's one of the coolest looking strats I've seen! HNGD!!
that's a steal for $175. don't know what the pups are but if you lift the scratchplate and have look at the back of them there may be serial or model numbers that will give a clue.

try running the serial number through one of the websites dealing with such things to get a better idea.

nice one!
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Nice guitar , I really dig the blue. I almost bought one of the FSR's of the "David Gilmour" variety (black body & pickguard, white pickups and maple neck) a few weeks back but the seller opted out

The only way to tell is to take the pickguard off and look at the back of the humbucker. Some SD models have a sticker there that says what it is, but some don't have anything. I REALLY wish companies would mark what the pickup is...
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
alright guys, so i opened it up.... the bridge pickup seems to be a seymour duncan screaming demon.

the neck and middle im assuming are just the fender stock pups....pickups really should have better systems of identification

another thing that i found weird was under where the humbucker is, there is a number with a barcode,(on the body of the guitar) anyone have any idea what that could be?

i also changed the strings, im guessing a gauge or two up...i used 10s...it raised the action a little and now its not as easy to play ...im gonna have to get 9's
Do the single coils have bars glued to the bottom?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by davem27
... another thing that i found weird was under where the humbucker is, there is a number with a barcode,(on the body of the guitar) anyone have any idea what that could be? ...
Most Fenders have those barcodes. Some have 3 holes or 1 covered by the PG, too.

Thats insane!

Congrats dude!
Quote by Duv

Oh, and for resonance . . . smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.