I've had this amp for about 7 months now, and really like it - but like eveyone, I'm never 100% satisfied with my tone. I know everybody says the 112 combo doesn't sound as good as the 212 or head, but honestly the size and convenience of the 112 works for me right now. And it's certainly loud enough and then some. I'm not saying it will be my last amp...

Anyhow, I'm planning to get an OD pedal soon, but eventually I'll look into replacing the speaker too.

The question I have is what will I get by replacing the speaker?

Everyone seems to recommend the Celestion V30 for this amp - which I'm not opposed to. But they are rather pricey, and I'd like to hear some descriptions of how it will change my tone, both overdriven and clean. Better cleans would be nice, but I'm already quite pleased with my overdriven sound, especially with the TS-9 I tried.

Also, I swapped out a speaker in my old Marshall Valvestate 65R many years ago for an Emminence, and noticed an improvement - I'd say it was more clear without sacrificing heaviness. Any recommendations from Emminence? I know they're a little cheaper...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
depending on where you buy the speakers from you dont have to pay the 150+$ ive seen them go for. a couple months back i got a quote for avatar speakers for a set of 4 speakers (straight V30s or 2v30s and 2 k100s) for around 350 plus shipping. the hellatone 60 from them is a broken in V30 and it sells for 100$ last time i checked
Quote by Seanthesheep
depending on where you buy the speakers from you dont have to pay the 150+$ ive seen them go for. a couple months back i got a quote for avatar speakers for a set of 4 speakers (straight V30s or 2v30s and 2 k100s) for around 350 plus shipping. the hellatone 60 from them is a broken in V30 and it sells for 100$ last time i checked

Thanks! But, can you describe how a speaker upgrade will change my sound? "Better" does not really describe it for me - I'm looking for descriptions of the change in overall sound.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
You don't have to go with celestion. Theres a few brands like warehouse etc that do a vintage 30 style speaker that some people actually prefer over the celestion however you'd have to ask some others about that.
go for warehouse vertain 30 they are v30 clones but better and cheaper
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
honestly TS, i could try and describe the tonal characteristics of the speakers and you could try and theorertically pair it with your amp, but it wont really matter untill you play it through your own amp.

just kniw Vintage 30s are for the most part a great all around speaker. it isnt perfet, but it works well with many amps across many styles. most people who own a 6505 pair it with a V30, because its pretty much guaranteed to sound good. most high end cabs that youd consider pairing with a 6505 come with V30s stock.

I have no Idea how to describe how the V30 will compare to the sheffield in your combo. but it is a popular choice and will sound good.
^^Thanks. I'll probably search for a V30 for the best price I can get. And you're probably right - describing sound to another person is not always very effective, especially to us nitpicky guitar players...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 15, 2011,
Like he stated it's hard to describe the sound. But If you want to hear it, All That Remains uses 6505's into a v30 cab (on the CD's Overcome and For We Are Many), Same with The Devil Wears Prada (every cd besides Dead Throne), and like 20000 other metal bands use that combo.

It's a very midrage speaker, just like how the 6505 is very midranged amp. It will also sound like the amp has opened up some more, and sound tighter.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778