Page 1 of 2
Right i have £550 to spend on a new amp.

I need an amp thats gig worthy. On the second hand market i can find The following:

Marshall dsl100 £400

Marshall tsl 100 £400

Orange rock 30 £550

What i need the amp to do is have a decent crunch sound a good lead tone and mild cleans, i dont need cleans really. What you guys think?
Last edited by billabob at Oct 14, 2011,
The Orange. Your musical style and other gear don't even matter, you just need the Orange.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
The orange is great. Being a dsl100 owner I am a little bias to that amp, it is a great amp, not known for distortion but the crunch is great. not to mention it is the cheapest of the 3, and would allow you to add more to your arsenal. either way though, they are all great amps.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
orange would work well

traynor ycv50b on thomann probably would too

dsl would work too in a pinch (though i'd probably prefer the other two)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by coolstoryangus
ALREADY? ^ after all that!

Bro doesnt like it, so I'm selling it

£340....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Its awesome, but not mine and I cant afford to buy it off him

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
poor show

I would be interested but i need to eat and have beer. And getting that amp to scotland would proove difficult.
I would drive it for the right price

always wanted to drive up there.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
scotland's actually not too bad to drive in (the bit i drove in, anyway, around edinburgh). Parts of England are crazy, though, when you're used to our teeny roads over here

but yeah scotland's really nice. I'm probably biased though because it's actually quite like ireland, so it sorta feels like home but cooler, but yeah. I like it.

unfortunately the weather's a bit like ireland, too. Not just as bad (depending on the part... some parts are worse ), but still not amazing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 14, 2011,
Postage isnt that bad Angus.....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
hey he's scottish
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Touche

£330 and its your Angus

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

just so you know, i'm only kidding, csa. Far as i'm aware some of my ancestors are scottish
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
.....its true though,

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
unfortunately until i get a job its a no go and i can't be assed trying anymore because theres a big possibility of a year long work placement on my course and i'll have to quit whatever job i get anyway..

I got like 2 or 3 student loan payments in a very short period and that only happens at the start hence my recent gear purchases and its all over sadly. YOUR TOO LATE.

Its kinda worrying that i've never really had a proper full time job but over my years of study and stuff i've managed to get 10 guitars and 2 tube ampz

If i get a job in my field after uni i'll be scared

Also the weather in aberdeen is the worst. Most unpredictable weather i've ever seen in my short time here.

anyways enough about me. TS buy the laney toms offering, before next months student loan comes in and i starve myself of food and beer. thank you.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 14, 2011,

yeah, on a serious note TS, my brothers amp would actually do everything you after.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I was gonna say orange, but Tom's laney will get you pretty close to the same sound for cheaper. Used ftw when it's available.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
sorry have i missed something? i saw u said buy my laney but you never posted anything about the model or any specs etc?

Im kinda leaning towards the orange tbh. 30 watts should be fine to get a cleanish sound over a drumer on the rocker 30 right?
Depends how loud you guys play but I found that the Rocker 30's cleans were never loud enough if you don't have a drummer who's dynamic. That being said, I'm sure you could find a combination of tubes to squeeze out the most headroom from the amp.
Ben
The laney in question is the vc50 (with a speaker upgrade i believe) this is the combo version of the vh100 head except 50 watts.
Howdy, sorry was out.

I was half joking... buuuuut its my bros amp, we bought it last week but he doesnt like it now he had some time with it.

Its a 212 Laney VC50, 4 channel amp with footswitch.
Its got two G12 65 ( high wattage Greenbacks ) and electro harmonics EL84s in it, but can be swapped for 6L6s.
It sounds massive and is ridiculously loud, I love it, but I cant afford to buy it off him.
Its got a few scuffs and plenty of mojo.
He would take £330 posted.

The Rocker would struggle actually, its an awesome amp, but over drummer cleans would be pushing it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
The Rocker would struggle actually, its an awesome amp, but over drummer cleans would be pushing it.

+1

The Rocker 30 is absolutely killer at what it does (mainly hot-rodded JCM800 stuff but it's perfect for things like Led Zep as well) but in terms of cleans it's not exactly the greatest. It's only got a volume control on the clean channel so if you have a subpar guitar, you'll hear it.

Not to impede the sale of Tom's Laney or anything...
Ben
Hmm well tbh im not interested in buying a combo cheers for the offer.

I have come across a marshall tsl 60 with a buy it now of £325!

Are these as gd sound wise as the tsl 100 just with lower wattage?

Ive found a similar thing with a dsl 50, are these amps lower quality than the higher watt versions?

If soo i would be very interested in this as alternative to the other suugestions!
Last edited by billabob at Oct 15, 2011,
hmm ive not had much experience with jet city, all ive heard is that they are kinda marshall like in characteristics and are of poor build quality? Is that no the case?
They actually have really good build quality for a mass produced amp so no not true. They are designed by mike soldano and built in china to a very high standard. Soldano did start out by hot rodding marshalls so it does kinda have a hot rodded marshall tonality but a soldano type amp usually does have a tonality of its own.
Hmm would you rate the jca 100 above a dsl 100 or tsl 100?

Cause i can get either of these for the same money...
A lot of people do rate them above the jcm2000s.
Check out clips on youtube. Theres tonnes by the likes of fastredponycar and a few others.
Wow they do sound pretty sweet man. Im really tempted i have heard of these before i discarded them as i heard the build quality is poor but as you say its not its tempting :P

You can also change out the blue bit of the head and replace it with like a black grill if im not mistaken right?
Yes.
And with there distributor clearing out there warehouse on ebay and selling them for 200-300 cheaper then the original price brand new you really can't go wrong with one atm. I bought one of there 20 watt combos as a new toy for myself and there great to deal with also the amp sounds great.

There has been little if any bad reports of jet city build quality. Its no bugera thats for sure even if it did come from the same country.
I recently got a Blackstar HT model and it is greeeeeeat.
EL34s
Effects Loop
Great cleans and gain.
Footpedal.
Valve, 40 watts
Last edited by Barnesy_boy at Oct 15, 2011,
Page 1 of 2