So I'm thinking about getting a Laptop so I can do recordings and stuff at other people's houses and work with recording programs and, you know, typical music stuff.

So what's gonna be a necessity?
Like, what specific numbers should I be going for GHz wise from the processor and etc?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Faster processors will be better for the more tracks you plan on mixing together, as will RAM. You might not want a stock soundcard either. It depends on the programs you use as well I believe...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
It doesn't matter if you prefer a Mac or a PC. However, the computer you choose needs to be powerful enough to handle the many demands placed on it by the recording software. Go for the fastest processor, a good sized hard drive and as much RAM as you can afford. A good idea is to get an external hard drive aswell so you don't clog up the computer resulting in it running slower!!
Oh and when choosing an external hard drive look for one with a speed of at least 7200 rpm, and preferably firewire.
I'd look into the different kinds of recording/editing software out there. Logic is Mac-exclusive but Pro-tools is universal, and there's probably lots of other good ones out there; you should find out what software you want to use and pick a computer that easily exceeds the requirements for it.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
My 4-year old lappy runs on 1.67 GHz and a gig of RAM. I'm doing fine except that at times I need to turn off other programs like antivirus so Reaper won't lag especially when I have more than 10 tracks. I would say this is the very minimum speed you should consider.
Two bands I'm obsessed about : Coheed and Cambria.
Don't go mac. If you really want os x, build a pc and install it. You can build the fastest pc in the world for the price of a mac.
Either buy a Macbook Pro or a high end Sony Vaio laptop with atleast 2Ghz processor, dual core atleast too, and 4GB RAM and a nice sized hard drive. Also, it's always good to have an external hard drive dedicated for the recording. Especially Pro Tools, NEVER record on your laptop hard drive, always on an external.

Or if you know how to or know someone that does, build a high spec PC, though laptop wise, I'm not really sure
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Music production doesn't really have any specific requirements, and you can get by with a pretty mediocre configuration these days. But here's what I'd aim for...

CPU - Core i3 or i5 is best value. Go for a 2nd generation. GHz doesn't mean much really. Don't bother with anything less than an i3 or anything more than i5.

RAM - Important for big projects and effects, get a laptop that can take at least 8GB so you have room to expand.

Hardrive - Go for speed rather than capacity, you can always get an external. Try and get a 7200rpm drive, or better yet, a Solid State Drive. If you can get USB3 for your external, that would be ideal.

Graphics - Ignore this, won't have any effect on audio recording.

Budget - Try and save money on the laptop, ie. don't blow your budget unnecessarily on a Mac or top of the line Vaio. You should spend money on your soundcard. Your audio interface will be the most important aspect of your computer system.
Last edited by vitchb at Oct 14, 2011,
Just get a nice spec laptop and some interface with software. Boom done.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Go Macbook Pro or go home. Just my two cents.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Honestly, unless you must must must use Logic, it's a useless expense.
Quote by vitchb
Music production doesn't really have any specific requirements, and you can get by with a pretty mediocre configuration these days. But here's what I'd aim for...

CPU - Core i3 or i5 is best value. Go for a 2nd generation. GHz doesn't mean much really. Don't bother with anything less than an i3 or anything more than i5.

RAM - Important for big projects and effects, get a laptop that can take at least 8GB so you have room to expand.

Hardrive - Go for speed rather than capacity, you can always get an external. Try and get a 7200rpm drive, or better yet, a Solid State Drive. If you can get USB3 for your external, that would be ideal.

Budget - Try and save money on the laptop, ie. don't blow your budget unnecessarily on a Mac or top of the line Vaio. You should spend money on your soundcard. Your audio interface will be the most important aspect of your computer system.

This guy has it.

i5 2500 or 2600 is perfect peformance, 8gb ram is plenty.

spend a fair amount on a good soundcard.
Soundcard will depend on what you need, good brands are Focusrite, presonus.. forgotten a load.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by vitchb
Honestly, unless you must must must use Logic, it's a useless expense.

I dunno. Macs have the best build quality in the business, which is especially important if you're going to gig with it too. One time, I tripped down the stairs while carrying my Macbook. It flew into the wall, dented the shit out of the sheetrock, but did not so much as scratch my laptop; it wasn't damaged internally either, and it hit the hard drive side. Furthermore, they have excellent customer service. I spilled coffee all over it one day when I was running late to class, and even though that technically voided the warranty, the Apple store employees were super cool and worked a loophole so my computer could be repaired at no expense to myself.

Plus, Garageband has some pretty nice amp settings you can play real instruments through, and Garageband comes preinstalled with every Mac.

I don't mean to sound like a rabid fanboy, but I've had quite a positive experience with my Macbook.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

I agree with this guy.

I love my Macbook Pro. Never had a single problem with it.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I dunno. Macs have the best build quality in the business, which is especially important if you're going to gig with it too. One time, I tripped down the stairs while carrying my Macbook. It flew into the wall, dented the shit out of the sheetrock, but did not so much as scratch my laptop; it wasn't damaged internally either, and it hit the hard drive side. Furthermore, they have excellent customer service. I spilled coffee all over it one day when I was running late to class, and even though that technically voided the warranty, the Apple store employees were super cool and worked a loophole so my computer could be repaired at no expense to myself.

Plus, Garageband has some pretty nice amp settings you can play real instruments through, and Garageband comes preinstalled with every Mac.

I don't mean to sound like a rabid fanboy, but I've had quite a positive experience with my Macbook.

They are great laptops I don't deny that, I'm probably going to get one soon. But unless our OP has a ton of money to spend, he's probably got more pressing things to spend money on (ie. soundcard/mics)

You can get great build quality and reliability elsewhere. Apple have very good reliability, but the likes of Toshiba and Asus do even better statistically.
So I don't mean go for the dirt-cheapest thing that has the appropriate specs... i'm just saying you can do probably almost as good as MBP for half the money. There are some really nice 'ultrabooks' being made now.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

WRONG!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

OT though, everything vitchb said is true. Listen to that man.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by vitchb

Best advice so far. Don't kill me if I sound like an idiot. Okay, so your saying I should buy a separate soundcard and replace the laptop's standard one or find one with a good standard soundcard? Also, what exactly would a better soundcard do? Just curious.

How do you determine the rpm for the HDD? Most laptops I'm seeing don't give that much information on them. And doesn't USB3 need a USB3 slot for it to work better? Do most laptops these days come with USB3 slots?
Last edited by Rawshik at Oct 14, 2011,
Also, I'm not looking for the best thing in the world here. In fact, what would be the bare minimum that I could get by with?
As much as I like my macbook I have to agree with Muffinduck Asus is better in every way.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Okay so my budget is $600 or less. I'm getting it for Christmas and my mom will be paying over time. I've looked at a few Lenovo's and Asus' but I'm still not completely sure. Any specific recommendations from y'all would be great! (Probably from Best Buy or Amazon)