After reading some of the lyrics on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that I have a hard time judging lyrics without music. In fact when I think about it, a lot of great songs have lyrics that sound cornball or silly when read by themselves. For example if I read a lot of David Lee Roth’s stuff it just sounds kind of juvenile but when sung over EVH's music it takes on a kind of raunchy quality that fits perfectly.

For me, in order to say lyrics are good independent of the music, I need to at least have some inkling of what the song is about. Sometimes lyrics are so ... well ... lyrical that I really have no clue about what is actually trying to be conveyed. On the other hand when sung with the music that lyrical quality comes though and I really don’t care if I know what the song is about or not.

Also I think there is a tendency to just say “that’s great” when commenting on lyrics. I understand this sentiment. I mean most people don’t want to put someone else’s work down, and most people don’t like their work to be put down either. However if everything is “great” then how useful is the commentary? I guess I’m just wondering is it useful to judge lyrics by themselves.
Majority of the stuff in this forum is poetry and other forms of poetry rather than lyrics.

if someone writes the word "lyrics" in the title, i don't even bother opening it. and my heart sinks when i read something with a really good title, and i click the thread, only to see "verse 1" and "chorus" and "bridge".
the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn

Quote by Cobrevolution
if someone writes the word "lyrics" in the title, i don't even bother opening it. and my heart sinks when i read something with a really good title, and i click the thread, only to see "verse 1" and "chorus" and "bridge".

LOL! Ok fair enough. I guess I'll pass on posting my stuff because most of it's like that and it will probably suffer from lack of music (not that it's any good anyway ) which was my original thinking.
It is impossible to judge lyrics without music. Until you hear the finished product it is just bad poetry.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington
It is impossible to just lyrics without music. Until you hear the finished product it is just bad poetry.

You are write.
Quote by refrigerantcomp
You are write.

right*
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Cobrevolution

Why is that such a bad thing? I mean some styles of music don't translate well when the lyrics are written in plain text and you can't hear the song, but songs in the style of bands like Bright Eyes are lyrically based and could be read and appreciated as if they were poems. I actually prefer when it's lyrics rather than just poetry. But then again, I'm not very regular in the S&L forum so I might be wrong
I'm speaking of my own judgment, of course. I personally don't ever see lyrics worth reading. Very few people have the songwriting capability of Oberst or Robert Smith (both artists I do not listen to but respect), and even fewer are present on a UG subforum. Ya dig?

That being said, there are a couple people on here whose work I read anytime it pops up, regardless if the piece in question is a poem or a song.
the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn

Quote by GaryBillington
It is impossible to judge lyrics without music. Until you hear the finished product it is just bad poetry.

hell naw. in my opinion, you don't need music to judge lyrics. 'songs' are made from two combined art forms: music and poetry. both have their own principiples. you probably shouldn't be able to tell if something is lyrics or poetry just by reading it. it's like a quick animation you see on TV, you might like the music and think the production is shit or vice-versa. you can judge them independently. sure, if you're critiquing an artwork as a whole, it's best to take everything into consideration. but i think you can give your own opinion on lyrics, without having heard the song. if you want full feedback it is probably better to post a recording along with the lyrics.

also, this should be under Techniques. *moved* read the rules, TS.
You can judge lyrics without music, and you can judge music without lyrics but you cant judge the overall song without both and the vocal melody line. You can have great lyrics which are let down by music, and great music which is let down by the lyrics. It's two seperate things that come together to make a whole and the music can have even further parts. I find it easy to spot cliched and emoish lyrics. If I post lyrics I'm generally curious if theres anything over the top or out of place or over cliche.