So that's why I really could use a new amp!

Budget: €300-€350

New or used: I love to have new stuff but when it's used and in good condition, it's okay too.

Genres: mostly rock and metal. my fav bands are, Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, All That Remains, Guns 'N Roses, Avenged Sevenfold, Sinergy, RHCP, AC/DC, Bullet For Mt Valentine.

Home or Gig: Home use mainly, I play 99% of the time in my room practicing.

Closest City: well I live in the Netherlands so i can reach every city in the country in about 2.5-3 hours . Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Den Haag (The Hague in english), Utrecht, Arnhem etc are all in reach within one hour drive.

Current Gear:
My guitar is a 1978 Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model and my amp....... it's a chinese brandless amp which I got a couple of years ago for my b'day. I have guitar teacher who let's me play on a Marshall MG 15. AND IT BLOWS MY AMP AWAY!!!. now i know about the general consensus on the MG here and was really suprised. until he started playing on his amp.... well to make a long story "short", that's how I figured out how bad my amp really was.

What would be a wise choice for me!
would u be interested in a pre-amp unit like the pod hd?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Actually not, I looked at POD's but i'm pretty sure it will not give me the pleasure of having a real amp. thnx for the suggestion anyways!
is your budget flexible?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Totally irrelevant, but I have so much respect for Europeans who can write/speak English like you. haha. As an American I'm way too lazy to learn another language haha.

Anyways, I'd say a Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt Combo. Mine treated me just fine for when I had it. The only reason I don't have it anymore is I'm playing in a band and I needed a bigger tube amp (6505).
Your budget is quite tight for a real good amp. My advice would be to save some 150 euros extra, beside the 350 you are already counting on, and the go for a Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo, which is a huge step ahead of any Marshall MG, and, despite not having the best speakers in the world, is very good for your kind of music. Don''t take my words for granted, go to a music shop and check it yourself!
But if I was you, since you are Dutch, I'd save 1000 euros and get a real Koch amp, made in Holland, and one of the best valve amps available nowadays.
Check out the Peavey Classic 30. I play around the same type of stuff as you and for me it was between that and a Laney LC30 which I went with because I got a good price.
Quote by scarter1192
Totally irrelevant, but I have so much respect for Europeans who can write/speak English like you. haha. As an American I'm way too lazy to learn another language haha.

Anyways, I'd say a Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt Combo. Mine treated me just fine for when I had it. The only reason I don't have it anymore is I'm playing in a band and I needed a bigger tube amp (6505).

so. F***in. true.

also i agree with your second half, a 75w SS amp will work even when the TS starts playing in a band if he decides to. my spider III 75w served me well when it was my main amp, and i still use it for band practices even though i have a halfstack. (i leave the spider at my drummers house so i can bike to band practices with my guitar if need be) ad most people here agree that the vypyr stomps the spider, so if it comes down to the 2, it seems the vypyr is a more popular choice
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Oct 14, 2011,
Try looking around for a used Peavey Valveking, got my VK 212 for 250€ and it's in really good shape. So I'd say go for something like that, but if you like the sound of the Marshall MG more, get one, they are within your price range. =)
@ Scarter1192: haha thnx, well I'm studying in a international course (everything in English) right now, so I use almost as much English as Dutch atm.

@ Dave: Budget could be stretched but then I would be a bit longer with my crappy amp .

I was already looking at the Vypyr series, however I don't know if the 75 would be too loud for me. I was also checking out the blackstar HT-5C which I can get brand new for €298.

let me know what u think guys about it
Heyy Dutchy

I would go to feedback in rotterdam if i were you ( rotterdam has the best IMO )

there you can test the POD HD and various other amps

Personally i really like the ValveKing..... and the ENGL powerball ( but really out of budget )
Im not really fan of the Koch's..

IMO you can do 3 things at this moment:

-buy a vypyr 30 and a sanpera II pedal...
-buy a POD HD 300/500 ( the 400 isn't worth it imo... )
-save and look really good on Marktplaats... ENGL-combo's pop up kinda cheap ( like 600-ish.. )

Hope i helped you a bit..

Greetz,

Tunder

PS: i was kinda in the same position as you a few months ago..
and i really LOVE my amp now..... but costed me a arm and a leg....... ( and my parents lot of fuel, )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Oct 14, 2011,
well if you can afford a HT5 that might even be your best bet, but its not all tube like they adverstise. theres are SS shenanigans, but dont let that influence what your ears hear.

and 75w SSis like perfect, because unlike tubes you dont need to crank it to get the ideal tones. but it can get plenty loud for band situations if you need it.

the new blackstar HT5R is pretty cool, but its about 500-600$ in canada, not sure what that translates to for you
Quote by Seanthesheep
well if you can afford a HT5 that might even be your best bet, but its not all tube like they adverstise. theres are SS shenanigans, but dont let that influence what your ears hear.

and 75w SSis like perfect, because unlike tubes you dont need to crank it to get the ideal tones. but it can get plenty loud for band situations if you need it.

the new blackstar HT5R is pretty cool, but its about 500-600$ in canada, not sure what that translates to for you

my 100W TriAmp is awsome at bedroom volumes

cuz there is something like a (master) volume knob

but don't let it ruin the thread please... the OP is very nice
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
wow, looks like I came to the right place! thnx for all the great replies so far!.

@ Henrihell, I don't like the sound of the MG more, it is just a lot better then what i have right now. it was just to make a point about my current situation .

@ Tunder250, definately going to Feedback, do you know how they are with people who just come to inform and try about amps without actually buying immediately? I'm the kind of person who like to give every buy a long thought.

The HT-5R is something like €450 IIRC.

How is the consistency of amps? if I play one at a store but can get that specific amp cheaper at a online store, would it sound exactly the same or is it like with guitars and is every amp even of the same type different?
Quote by Patrick89

@ Dave: Budget could be stretched but then I would be a bit longer with my crappy amp .

well if you can get up to around the 450 euro mark, thomann sells the traynor ycv50b for that, which is good value for a pretty nice amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tunder250
my 100W TriAmp is awsome at bedroom volumes

cuz there is something like a (master) volume knob

but don't let it ruin the thread please... the OP is very nice

my 120w peavey 6534+ is also awesome at bedroom volumes, but for me, bedroom volume is fairly loud.
Just checked thomann and the Traynor ycv50b is actually €589, which is way out of budget.
Also, a lot of people on the internet mention that the VK isn't really suited for anything past trash metal and will need an overdrive pedal for that. Is this true or not?

And what about a 6505 plus 112 combo? it's a maximum stretch but I hear good things about them. Would it be high gain enough?
http://www.thomann.de/nl/peavey_6505_plus_112_combo.htm

At this moment I think about going to try the VK, Vypyr 75 and HT5 in a store. but i don't mind travelling a few times to find something else and good (damn I love free public travel for students ).

The room I talk about is 2.80m * 2.80m so wouldn't the valve amps blow my brains out when i try to get a good sound out of them? (since they do not have a master volume if i see that correctly)
Last edited by Patrick89 at Oct 14, 2011,
They wont mind it, at least not with me, lol

I dont really look like a rich dude, so... I think they will let you test

The 6505+ combo is crap IMO

Test him ( only in eindhoven feedback )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Doesn't get too much higher gain than a 6505 lol. It only does if you're paying twice the cost of one, and even then there's not much you can do with THAT much gain. the 6505 is a metalcore monster. If I were you I'd give the VK a shot, some people love it and some people hate it. Same thing with the Vypyr. Owned one, hated it, pawned it. It was only a 30 but I tried the 75 in store and still hated it. Lacked dynamics in my opinion.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Patrick89
Just checked thomann and the Traynor ycv50b is actually €589, which is way out of budget.
Also, a lot of people on the internet mention that the VK isn't really suited for anything past trash metal and will need an overdrive pedal for that. Is this true or not?

And what about a 6505 plus 112 combo? it's a maximum stretch but I hear good things about them. Would it be high gain enough?

At this moment I think about going to try the VK, Vypyr 75 and HT5 in a store. but i don't mind travelling a few times to find something else and good (damn I love free public travel for students ).

The room I talk about is 2.80m * 2.80m so wouldn't the valve amps blow my brains out when i try to get a good sound out of them? (since they do not have a master volume if i see that correctly)

im not sure on the wattage of the VK but the 6505 112 is overkill if your not playing live/shows or have the intention to. like yea, my 6534+ sounds awesome at home in my room but it truley shines when i haul it out to band practice and get it up to 3 or 4 on the volume. i cant get it past 1 at home or else its too loud for me, and everyone else.

hence why I suggest the HT5R. its 5w, has tubes, from what i hear about it it sounds pretty good, with a good overdrive pedal you can probably hit most styles. and i know the whole ideal that total volume only doubles with 10x wattage so a 100w ampp is only 2x as loud as a 10w tube amp. yea i get that, but at 5w TS wont need to get it as loud to get the tubes working and sounding good.

thats my 0.02$ if you dont plan on giggin in the near future, then HT5R combo. if you feel its a possiblilty/cant justify the HT5R then get a vypyr 75w. all ofc IMO.
Isn't the HT-5R not just a HT-5C with reverb? when checking on youtube I can see it is a nice effect to have but does it really justify the extra €150 over the HT-5C?

VK is 50 watts so probably also overkill, still wanna hear it though.

I'm only playing guitar seriously for about 1.5 month now and my teacher likes to teach by means of easy songs and songs for children for good technique practice, instead of starting off with heavy songs. this isn't bad since it actually works but i don't want to play songs like "When the saints come marching in" in a full guitar store while plugged into a metal amp .

do you think that it is possible to make a good decision based on a demo from the Feedback employer or are they a bit too biased about the more expensive amp (by EQ'ing better etc).

This question also counts for all other shops ofc.
the HT5R has pretty useful things like a 12" speaker as a posed to a 10", i think it has dedicated EQs for each channel which i i think is new, from what ive read about it, it seems to be a revamped for the better HT5C. also, im kinda a reverb *****, clean channels have to have reverb. its not a question for me. too bad my amp has no reverb

and again i just want to strss my point, if you have plans or ideas of playing with others/in a band, get VK or the 6505 combo. they do get good tones at home, but the best tones on those amps are gonna be at volumes unusable at home. another cool thing about the VK is that its suprisingly versatile, especially for the price, size, etc. but you can also mod it a million ways to sunday, which is kinda cool. but the VK, 6505 combo, and HT5R all have on board reverb too. if it ends un being that the best tones come out of the 6505, then get that. even if its gonna be over kill. like you have a bunch of suggestions nw of amps thatd suit you, you just gotta get out there and try them out and see what you like and dont like.

also, IIRC the 6505+ 112 is not the same circuit as the regular 6505+ head. the regular 6505 and 6505 212 maybe a similar/identical circuit, and I think a valve king is a valveking no matter if its a 50w 112 or a 100w halfstack, i think only amplifacation power changes between the different formats. I could be wrong on that though as i only have experience with the VK head and 4x12.

my point in saying that is that if my suspicions are correct, then even if you cant try the VK112, and only the head, then it may make sense to try the VK head. you cant do that for sure with the 6505+ though.
Quote of dave: when you use the amp and you love its tones, only uses 10% of its potentional, is always better than getting a amp that you hate its tone on its full potentional...

Just go to feedback, test the amps you like, and make a nice NAD for us of your next purchase

Ps: feedback rotteram only has the vk head and(has/had) a 6505 head, feedback eindhoven only a 6505+ combo
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by Patrick89
(a) Just checked thomann and the Traynor ycv50b is actually €589, which is way out of budget.
(b) Also, a lot of people on the internet mention that the VK isn't really suited for anything past trash metal and will need an overdrive pedal for that. Is this true or not?

(c) And what about a 6505 plus 112 combo? it's a maximum stretch but I hear good things about them. Would it be high gain enough?

(d) The room I talk about is 2.80m * 2.80m so wouldn't the valve amps blow my brains out when i try to get a good sound out of them? (since they do not have a master volume if i see that correctly)

(a) ah right, sorry about that I must have got confused about the price

(b) yeah probably

(c) if it's anything like the US-made ones it'll have tons of gain.

(d) they do have master volumes. anything with a separate volume and gain control means "master volume" (they way I consider it, anyway).

Quote by Tunder250
Quote of dave: when you use the amp and you love its tones, only uses 10% of its potentional, is always better than getting a amp that you hate its tone on its full potentional...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
heres my sales pitch watch out

selling my line 6 flextone III. its a 1x12 with a wgs speaker in there. very versatile, sounds amazing. 75w, loud enough for drummer/ gig. takes pedals well. selling it for $350. with shipping is shouold be well in your budget. idk man if u want more info just let me know.....if your not looking for a tube amp haha :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
the flextone is kinda nice imo...

@Dave: AFAIK the 6505+combo is chineese...
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
oh yeah i know, i just meant i'd only tried the US-made ones. But assuming the circuit is the same it should have tons of preamp gain.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thnx for all the input guys! It really helps me in my search!.

@ Dave Mc: Thnx for that explanation of the master volume. I didn't realise that the gain controls are used as volume controls or vice versa. Makes much more sense now.

I'll be checking the mentioned amps out in a while and let you guys know what I liked/disliked about them. Hopefully by means of a NAD, but that will be after my NCD (New Car Day...ow yeah! ) this or next month)
no problem. yeah, i mean there are a couple of different definitions for a master volume, but when people say a guitar amp needs a master volume to get distortion at lower volumes, they mean a separate gain and volume control.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
look around for a used 6505 combo or something along those lines. The amp fulfills your guidelines but is about 100 euro's above your budget so if it's possible to save up its on thomann right now otherwise look around man. Check for Dutch members on UG possible starts a WTB thread in the classifieds forum.
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Flextime still up in the air.....srsly research it. U might like it. ITunes n stuff
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED