I've been toying with the idea of adding samples to our songs, not something to crazy, for intros, quiet pars etc. so I started looking for samplers online and this got me to this DJ world that I didn't really wanted to get into.
the easiest solution is- just taking my lap top with me to rehearsal!

so my questions are:
what program should I use? does easy software like Audition and what not could do the job? which is basically playing something when I want to press a button. doesn't have to be TOO smart.
2. I do get my samples and lap top to the rehearsal room, how do I connect it? just a normal cable to...where? some sort of sound card? maybe some sort of converter??

I'm kinda ignorant in all of this stuff, and that's why I came here!

thanks in advance.
...And The Nominees Are
my band connects the laptop to a mixer, then into an old stereo through the speaker/line out. and we convert everything to wav. files, so what ever you have that'll play them is good
Personally I use Reason. And I have a M-Audio Axiom USB keyboard connected to it. It's really easy to play and mod samples with it. Reason takes a while to learn, but after you get the idea, it's the best thing out there.
Quote by Slackerbitch
Personally I use Reason. And I have a M-Audio Axiom USB keyboard connected to it. It's really easy to play and mod samples with it. Reason takes a while to learn, but after you get the idea, it's the best thing out there.

Got the same setup, and its fantastic. I haven't really tapped into it well enough to know all the ins and outs, but the sound quality is awesome.
I personally use My computer with FL Studio and an Akai Pro MPD24 to trigger samples. And oc course two other keyboards for my synth parts live :p

I then take sound out of my Line 6 UX2 to the sound board.
You want cheap and idiot proof?

Record them to an ipod!!

Click track in the left channel, samples in the right (or vice-versa). Run the click to a headphone amp for the drummer, and the samples to the PA and you're good to go.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
thanks for the response, but how do I connect the lap top to a mixer if it's in the other ****ing room?! or for that matter, to a mixter all the way across the venue?
...And The Nominees Are
I'm with Chris, I really wouldn't go down the laptop/computer route in a live setting as there are too many things that can go wrong - easiest way is to either get a purpose-built sampler to trigger sounds (a simple programmable drum pad will do) or, as Chris said, pre-record the samples and play them from an mp3 player - the only problem is, again as Chris said, you will need your drummer to play to a click in order for the samples to be in time.

Also, in terms of getting the sound to the mixer - with a sampler you'd just need an audio output that can go into the stagebox/mic loom (may need to go through a DI box to get an XLR output from a line-level TRS output), and with a laptop you'll have to do the same though you will also need an audio interface for a decent (and widely-compatible) sound output to the DI -> mixer/PA.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Yeah if your not using a lot of synths and samples don't get a sampler do like Chris said. If you are though hit me up and I can give you and in depth rundown of my set up. Which includes 2 Midi keyboards and a sampler. A DAW. And a ton of preparation that he preventive any hardware/software failures live (as of yet and it's been about 2 years wih this setup).
yeah, right now i don't have the money for that technology, nor the musical direction for it.
right now the plan is to get Reason software, some midi keyboard and my laptop.
again, i'm not concerned about the Timing of the samples, it's more for adding a little edge for our songs. so does that sound like something that could work?
...And The Nominees Are