yes. I dont know enough about em to say if you keep the volume at say, 1/10, if you'll be running 50W into that 120w cab, but I wouldn't risk it. if at any time that cab can't handle the power that's being sent you run the risk of overloading your head, which means boom.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
What if you do something stupid and cause feedback. The peak would kill you.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Do you actually have a 500W head and only a 120W cab??? What about the impedances? A cab's impedance of, let's say, 32 ohms will cut by 4 your head's power, if the latter has an impedance of 8 ohms... in which case it might work, because 500 shared by 4 is 125, but definitely the odds are pretty bad.
I wouldn't try to do this. It doesn't worth trying. You better put a power attenuator between the head and the cab.
possible yes
advisable no.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by rv_phoenix
You better put a power attenuator between the head and the cab.

I don't think there are that many power attenuators out there that can handle 500w. You'd probably melt the attenuator and blow the transformer.
9.5 times / 10, you have to ask the internet "is this a bad idea?" It is, and you shouldn't do it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

You can use it but don't go over the cab's rated power.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+