Page 1 of 2
are there any? the only one i can think of is megadave the mustache...
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
TONS

Like....WAY too many to name.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Oh, there are so many. Jeff Beck, to name the most famous of them. He owns two or three pedals, but usually he plugs his Strat straight into the amp.
Angus Young is another guitar player in love with straight, natural tones. he gets his distortion from his pickups and the mountain of Marshall heads you can see behind him.
Quote by IronMaiden76
are there any? the only one i can think of is megadave the mustache...

Actually Mustaine does use racks. He uses a Fractal Axe FX Ultra going into a Marshall 100/100 monoblock. He also has a power conditioner of some kind too. Same with Chris Broderick. Their racks are almost identical. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5rDQPaVDc here is a video by premier guitar of the talking about their racks.
Actually turns out that video is a little out of date. They do use the Fractals now though.
Quote by coolstoryangus
John Petrucci.

John petrucci uses rack, he just has a controller for his settings.
Paul Gilbert uses pedals, Steve Vai, Dave Wiener.
Quote by Soccerguy

Vai uses an axe fx with his legacy.

Petrucci uses the Axe as well, with his mark V.

Lots of guitarists use non-racked gear, but in a touring situation, racks are much easier to move and manage.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by rv_phoenix
Oh, there are so many. Jeff Beck, to name the most famous of them. He owns two or three pedals, but usually he plugs his Strat straight into the amp.
Angus Young is another guitar player in love with straight, natural tones. he gets his distortion from his pickups and the mountain of Marshall heads you can see behind him.

Jeff Beck uses a THD Hot Plate, which can be considered 'rack' gear.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i read that for the big 4 stuff megadave used jvm410h and his signature cabs..
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

AFAIK the only rack effect Satch uses is a Digitech Super Harmony Machine, and even that is only for the song Why.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
AFAIK the only rack effect Satch uses is a Digitech Super Harmony Machine, and even that is only for the song Why.

IIRC He uses multiple rack delays to create his reverb sound.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

The whole genre of Blues, such as:

Robin Trower
Joe Bonamassa
Older people like:
SRV
BB King

I don't think any of them use racks, but I could be wrong.
Where's Waldo?
nice. i don't think i would. seems like a hassle. btw can you explain your PRS Dream Theater sig?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76
nice. i don't think i would. seems like a hassle. btw can you explain your PRS Dream Theater sig?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hC7s__6MwTQJ:www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1486008+wholelottaizzy+prs+ngd&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Im seeing them on December 1st, which shall be awesome, but its kind of a joke. I don't think that guy will ever live it down. I won't let him

He also bolstered this on other threads, by the way...
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Oct 14, 2011,
Once you go rack you never go back.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't think they're necessary at all honestly.

I prefer straight up out of the amp tone.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Quote by Soccerguy

Vai definitely has a rack. He has an eventide of some kind and a tc g force
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by BeastModeEngage

And you can't do that with a rack because????
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The only rack gear I'm really interested in is the Axe FX, and Engl's E530 preamp, both of them aren't really rack gear, they're more like Rack amps, but I digress;

I'm sure the FX are better in the rack systems, but I like having all of my individual effects in fromt of me.

/$0.02
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
If I'm jamming I prefer individual pedals. When I'm doing serious gigs it's rack all the way; I want my amp channels and effects to all happen with one button push and I want them to do the same thing every time without fail. If I'm dancing on stage I don't want it to be pedal ballet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I run through an arbiter fuzz face and a boss OS-2
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by NosralTserrof
The only rack gear I'm really interested in is the Axe FX, and Engl's E530 preamp, both of them aren't really rack gear, they're more like Rack amps, but I digress;

I'm sure the FX are better in the rack systems, but I like having all of my individual effects in fromt of me.

/$0.02

Why are they not really rack gear? They are measured in how many rack units they take up and they are rack mounted, so how are they not rack gear? "Rack Amps" as you call them, are still pieces of rack gear.

Anyways, it's all a matter of preference, that's why we have the freedom to choose.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Id only ever go rack to make thing easier to move and control. too bad i have no money even for a small 6u rack
Zakk Wylde doesn't use a rack
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

the whole purpose of this thread was to decide if it's worth it to buy rack gear
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76
the whole purpose of this thread was to decide if it's worth it to buy rack gear

Yes, it is. There are some really nice rack effects. Plus, the Mesa Dual Racktifier is awesome.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by rv_phoenix
Just so you know, all those Marshalls behind him are fakes. He uses one amp and one cab, like most other guitarists. If you actually had all those amps and cabinets active somehow, the noise level would be unbearable.
(Invalid img)
Quote by Pat_s1t
Just so you know, all those Marshalls behind him are fakes. He uses one amp and one cab, like most other guitarists. If you actually had all those amps and cabinets active somehow, the noise level would be unbearable.
(Invalid img)

AH MY EYES!!! It's like looking at the backlot at disneyland
But I don't think Joe Satriani uses racks, at least not with Chickenfoot.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by BeastModeEngage

i could take your logic a step further and say i don't think half-stacks are necessary because i prefer straight out of the amp tone...

as illogical as that statement may seem, it's not all that different from what you said. just because you can have a complex rack setup, doesn't mean the option of having a simple one isn't available

it's just like taking a head/cab setup to the next level by separating each individual part of the amplifier into modules that can be interchanged giving you much more flexibility. and that's just an example of what you can do when you look into the "straight out of the amp tone" possibilities...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by IronMaiden76

well then it's a silly thread.

why would whether anyone else uses rack gear or not influence your decision?

if you think it's worth it to buy rack gear, then it is. for you as an individual. what does anyone else's taste in gear have to do with it?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Some guitarists like the rack approach with its ease of use hit one foot switch and everything is right there others like the foot pedal way and doing a tap dance to turn everything on.

With a rack effects sometimes there's limitations to how much of the effect you can control which in that case a individual foot pedal would be better if your wanting a fine tuned tone.

Its all about personal taste and what works for you
The majority of rock guitarists don't use rack gear.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
It's simple. If there's a particular piece of rack gear you like, buy it. If over time you end up with a full rack system then so be it. Don't just go rack for the sake of it, just buy gear you think will suit you. If that turns out to be rack stuff then you end up with a rack; if not, you don't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Most indie/rock guitarists (Russell Lissack, Nick Zinner, Jonny Greenwood [okay, he uses one rack effect, but I doubt he has a whole rack for it]) use a massive pedalboard with no rack gear at all. The only exception I can think of offhand is Nick McCabe, who has a massive assemblage of racks and Mesas onstage with him.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Page 1 of 2