Page 1 of 3
Alright, I search bar'd this topic and all the other threads were old and I felt that they don't apply.

I live in Arizona and we have a pretty strong Mormon base here. They've started advertising their religion on TV again.

They've had a crippled guy, an Italian guy, a recovering drug addict, and the average Joe talk about how Mormonism in particular helped them get through their struggles. I can't find those commercials in particular though.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RetZZpXdWgk

Opinions?

Should any religion be allowed advertise on TV?

Would you take these commercials seriously if you were looking for a new faith?

Are they taking the wrong approach/ misleading the public?

Discuss.
Religion shouldn't be forced upon us: if we wanted to be religious we'd take the initiative and get out there and find the religion perfect for us.
With that in mind, they have no purpose advertising on TV or any other form of media

BL
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
It's a free country. The question is, do you want to be a part of a religion that advertises like some type of privately owned business?
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Of course they should be allowed to advertise on TV. I fail to see any legitimate qualms with that. They are a legitimate organization and deserve to be allowed to spend their money to advertise.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by CodChick

They've had a crippled guy, an Italian guy, a recovering drug addict, and the average Joe

Sounds like a joke setup.

A group of Mormons walk into a bar - a cripple, a drug addict, an Italian, and a white guy. Then they remember Mormons don't drink so they leave.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Personally I don't like when people try to spread their religion. I am content with my religion; if I had any desire to change it, I'd make the effort to choose another religion myself. No need for them to go after people. And making commercials is literally commercializing religion. Seems like the wrong way to go, to me.

EDIT: And as other posts said, I don't think it should be prohibited, but I don't agree with it.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Quote by son_of_bodom
It's a free country. The question is, do you want to be a part of a religion that advertises like some type of privately owned business?

This. It's annoying, but it's the first amendment. Free religion and speech.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Technically speaking I think the Mormons count as a cult rather than a church. But either way that would be annoying. And my family already goes to a church. I'm pretty impatient with advertising in general though.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
This. It's annoying, but it's the first amendment. Free religion and speech.

That's really a gross misrepresentation of the First Amendment. Broadcasting corporations are completely allowed to deny organizations the ability to show commercials. All the First Amendment says is that the Government can't ship you away for speaking out.

The first Amendment has nothing to do with private business.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by AeroRocker
A group of Mormons walk into a bar - a cripple, a drug addict, an Italian, and a white guy. Then they remember Mormons don't drink so they leave.

That actually made me laugh.
Quote by BlackLuster
Religion shouldn't be forced upon us: if we wanted to be religious we'd take the initiative and get out there and find the religion perfect for us.
With that in mind, they have no purpose advertising on TV or any other form of media

Exactly. +1
First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Nothing about advertising your religion on TV in there.
Quote by WaterGod
First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Right...but if you say you CAN'T have a commercial....

The government is supposed to be neutral. Get over it.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by WaterGod
First Amendment:

I don't quite understand which side of the argument you're on. See that first part, the "Congress shall make no law" part? Yeah, Congress != private business. Any broadcasting company is allowed to say "Oh hi Church of Mormon, we don't really want to show your commercials on our station. Thanks anyway". They wouldn't do that, though, because they are turning down large chunks of money and alienating a sizable group of people.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by wyldething
That's really a gross misrepresentation of the First Amendment. Broadcasting corporations are completely allowed to deny organizations the ability to show commercials. All the First Amendment says is that the Government can't ship you away for speaking out.

The first Amendment has nothing to do with private business.

Hm, touche. I still see no issue. It's not like anyone is forced to join, they are probably as effective as any other advertisement (I no very few people who buy into things they see on TV).

Technically speaking I think the Mormons count as a cult rather than a church.

Technically speaking, you don't know the difference between the two.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Who the fuck would honestly care about this?

Some people are waaaaay to sensitive.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Actually I do. A church believes and teaches what's actually in the Bible, cults twist what's in it, edit/create their own or add other books. Hence the book of mormon. If I remember correctly they believe that they will become gods when they die and rule their own planets which isn't exactly Christian. Either way though I'm glad I'm not living in a place that broadcasts ads like that.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Quote by GAPendragon
Actually I do. A church believes and teaches what's actually in the Bible, cults twist what's in it, edit/create their own or add other books. Hence the book of mormon. If I remember correctly they believe that they will become gods when they die and rule their own planets which isn't exactly Christian. Either way though I'm glad I'm not living in a place that broadcasts ads like that.

Today I learned 2 things about you.

1) You have no idea what a cult is (despite your claims to the contrary).

2) You have no idea what Mormonism is.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by GAPendragon

You further proved you don't know the difference. Mormon are just as legitimate of a religion as any other form of Christianity. Can I get SlackerBabbath up in this bitch?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Who cares? When you have to pay millions of dollars in an advertising campaign to prove how 'normal' you are, I think that speaks for itself anyway.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by son_of_bodom

It is a business. And business is good.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It's been a few years since I studied it but I'm pretty sure that's how my school defined a cult. *Shrugs* And I did say If I remember correctly on the other point. Perhaps I'm confusing it with another group.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Quote by StewieSwan
Who cares? When you have to pay millions of dollars in an advertising campaign to prove how 'normal' you are, I think that speaks for itself anyway.

When you're pegged as being "Polygamist, caffeine/gambling/alcohol/cigarette-free, weirdos that only hang out in Utah", I really can't fault them for a public relations campaign like this.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by GAPendragon
It's been a few years since I studied it but I'm pretty sure that's how my school defined a cult. *Shrugs* And I did say If I remember correctly on the other point. Perhaps I'm confusing it with another group.

Cults do deviate from other religious groups, but not all cults are like that. Your school gave you a very narrow definition. It's to the point that anthropologists won't even use the term anymore, because these days it has such a negative connotation because people only associate religions they perceive as "strange" to be cults.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by wyldething
When you're pegged as being "Polygamist, caffeine/gambling/alcohol/cigarette-free, weirdos that only hang out in Utah", I really can't fault them for a public relations campaign like this.

Not an unfair assessment.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by GAPendragon

Because it definitely makes sense to present arguments with no factual evidence at all, as long as you include the caveat "If I remember correctly".

If I remember correctly, CAPendragon consistently wets the bed well into his teenage years.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by StewieSwan
Not an unfair assessment.

No, not at all. But that's all that the vast majority of people know about them. This ad campaign seems to be making an attempt to say "listen, these people are pretty normal, plus they're Mormon".
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Of course religious advertisments should be allowed. If you don't like it, change the channel. I'd rather see an advertisment for this then the crapload of political ads that are soon going to be airing all the time.
Quote by wyldething
Because it definitely makes sense to present arguments with no factual evidence at all, as long as you include the caveat "If I remember correctly".

If I remember correctly, CAPendragon consistently wets the bed well into his teenage years.

Shit man. You can't even copy his name correctly. Like I'm gonna rely on your memory.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Shit man. You can't even copy his name correctly. Like I'm gonna rely on your memory.

Oh god. My credibility! It's ruined!
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
How mature of you. I never said I was an expert. I must havemissed the part where this became a site for serious debates. And if we're going to nitpick - you got both my name and my gender wrong.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
I've seen those commercials. They annoy the shit out of me, but I don't think they should be prohibited from television.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by GAPendragon
How mature of you. I never said I was an expert. I must havemissed the part where this became a site for serious debates. And if we're going to nitpick - you got both my name and my gender wrong.

I wasn't trying to nitpick, It'd just be nice to see evidence and research done while discussing a topic in any setting. I guess spreading misinformation is kind of a pet peeve of mine.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by wyldething
Oh god. My credibility! It's ruined!

A sad day indeed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
yeah they should be allowed to advertise why not? its a free country, and if you disagree with them at least its good for a laugh. I mean what not funny about a religion that believes they will get their own planet when they die and walk around wearing magical underwear?
...Well my teachers never mentioned magical underwear.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Quote by GAPendragon

google it. "morman magical underwear".

EDIT: the politically correct term is "Temple Garment" LMFAO!
Quote by GAPendragon

Catholics believe their communion wafers and fruit punch/wine turn into the blood and body of Christ. Most Christians believe in the power of prayer. Mormon underwear isn't any more or less strange. I'm not saying I don't find Mormon slightly strange personally, but nor do I find their beliefs to be inferior.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I just did. Wow. It's on their own site too. Though they don't actually call them magic. They're kind of contradicting themselves on there too. But not on the underwear bit, just to clarify.

edit-
I'm not saying anything is inferior. Though I think the wine and wafer is meant to be a representation, isn't it?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Last edited by GAPendragon at Oct 14, 2011,
Personally, I believe you should keep your religion in the home and in your place of worship. Keep it off my television and billboards. Makes me sick to see this stuff in public.
Last edited by Spartan101400 at Oct 14, 2011,
Page 1 of 3