I have a Line 6 Spider III-75 watt amp. i play the thing every weekend on volume 10 with my band which plays Metallica and Nirvana covers so you can just understand the massive overdrive beating it takes. The speaker now squeaks and makes noises and in short, sounds pretty shitty when turned up. So im in the market for a new speaker. I need one that handles the stuff we play, but it also needs to have a smooth clean sound also. i dont want an ice-pick speaker that kills ears when clean. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
i dont understand why the amp is the problem. Because the sound comes from the speaker...what does the wires and knobs and all the other BS have to do with it?...im not being a dick. i just want to know, iv never been in this situation before. haha
Quote by vanhalenfan33
i dont understand why the amp is the problem. Because the sound comes from the speaker...what does the wires and knobs and all the other BS have to do with it?...im not being a dick. i just want to know, iv never been in this situation before. haha

The speaker is what the sound goes through.

The amp is where the volume is made, and where the sound is processed from the guitar. A new speaker will not make your amp noticeably louder.

If you want more volume and better sound, get a new amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Since you run your amp real hard your amp could be melting down, a line 6 spider amp isnt know for the ruggerdness.

But I would just save your money for a better amp if I were you.
yeah i could see the melting down part. we play for between 1-2 hours without stopping most of the time so it gets pretty hot. but i dont want a better sound and its loud enough. i think the speaker is worn but i understand just saving my money for an amp. but the thing is a new speaker is roughly 100 a new amp is roughly 1000(if i buy one its gonna be a mesa). so my thing is, would a new speaker be completely useless?
and if it is useless and from what Raijouta was saying, speakers dont make a better sound, why is it that there are so many different speakers you can buy. if a new amp is the only way to fix a worn speaker, why are they even made? again, not trying to be a dick. im a young kid i dont know this stuff. i need someone to actually inform me
Generally if a solid state amp has been pushed hard enough to damage the speaker you have most likely messed up some of them fragile transistor thingies in your amp as well, they will take less current before getting screwed up then a speaker will, and most speakers are over-rated for there applications. The Celestion in my 15W Marshall is capable of taking 66W something the amp could never put out. That being said if its an inferior quality speaker to begin with in the amp it is very possible to damage the voice coil of the speaker and therefor alter the sound properties of it, this would happen from continuous harsh abuse causing the speaker to "bottom out"which will smash the crap outta the copper voice coil inside of it. You could try a new speaker but a quality speaker like a Celestion V30 will run ya probably about $200 new and will take a good amount of usage to break the speaker in to get it sounding perfect. Like a baseball glove the older and more worn in the speaker the better sound you get off it.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
A good speaker rounds out your the sound you already have, they do make a difference in sound, and some like a V30 as suggested above will make your amp a little louder due to the fact that its more efficiant than other lower quality speakers.

You need a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by vanhalenfan33
and if it is useless and from what Raijouta was saying, speakers dont make a better sound, why is it that there are so many different speakers you can buy. if a new amp is the only way to fix a worn speaker, why are they even made? again, not trying to be a dick. im a young kid i dont know this stuff. i need someone to actually inform me

They do affect the sound, but putting a better speaker inside of a Spider is a bit like putting a Ferrari's wheels on a Corolla, if you know what I'm saying.

You'd be better off with getting a new amp than just changing the speaker in the Spider, that's a band-aid solution to a gaping wound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
what if i got the same amp but twice the size. im using the 75 watt right now. if i got the 150, id only turn it up half way. should sound better, last longer. or are you guys totally against line 6
Don't.....buy....a ....bigger.....Spider......please

If you really want to buy a new speaker and keep what you have then you probably do not want a Celestion Vintage 30 for that amp. As a modeling amp I would guess you want as transparent (high wattage) a speaker as possible (say 100 watt?). I also would not buy an expensive speaker for this amp. Celestion has made some custom speakers for the Line 6 amps no? Is that a V30? Check out www.warehouseguitarspeaker.com or www.avatarspeakers.com for some cheaper maybe better alternatives.

Otherwise - I recommend a Vypyr 60 or 120 hybrid amp
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 18, 2011,
let me get this out the way: 'i don't like Line 6'. the reasoning has to do with my personal experiences with the equipment and what i want out of my equipment.

that being said, i will assume (based on your posts) that you are not looking for another amp and are interested in an upgrade to the stock speaker.

your spider uses digital effects processing with a sterile power section and speaker so as not to overly color the digital effects. i would recommend a high powered and sterile speaker, something like a Celestion G12K-100. you may not want a 'classic' guitar speaker (like a G12M-25 or V30) cuz it may color the tone more than would be desireable.

now, given that advice, i'd at least go to a guitar shop and try a couple speaker cabinets there to make sure a new speaker is what you actually want.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 18, 2011,
ok thanks guys. i appreciate all the input. unfourtunaltly since i am young, i have no money(thus the reason for a line 6 spider) or i would have a mesa sitting in my house now but thats not the case so i am trying to bandaide fix this problem but i will do my best to put all the advice in a good direction....and now i understand about modeling amp speakers vs traditional speakers
look at the Celestion 90 watt speaker they make for Line 6 it will be your best bet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
playing with a spider on 10 is no way to play with a band, especially if you are going live. that goes for any amps. what artist would play with his amp maxed out and still not have enough juice? that is asking not to be heard.

and its not a good amp either. as everybody is saying, its mostly coming from the whole crappy package that is spider as a whole, not just the speaker.

instead of putting an aftermarket speaker into your amp, just put that money towards a new amp.

what your about to do is put a ferarri engine into a pinto.
ok ikey_.......i was being nice to everbody for giving me constuctive advice, but your a complete ass. as i said, i dont have enough money to go buy a nice 1000 dollar amp like you probably have. so for you to just tell me my stuff is shit b/c i cant afford top of the line....(complete ass!!!), and if you paid attention to my initial post you noticed that we play nirvana/metallica. why dont you see if they ever play on 5. or some quiet blues shit. no they put it up to 10. kick ass for an hour. then leave. so dont try and tell me how to have a band. an the next time you practice with your band, assuming youre in one since you know it all, why dont the next time you guys practice, go into a 10x10 room, put a drum set 12 inches away from you, tell him to play as hard as he can, then turn a 75-watt up to 10 and tell me if you can even hear it. sound good? bye.
Quote by ne14t
Generally if a solid state amp has been pushed hard enough to damage the speaker you have most likely messed up some of them fragile transistor thingies in your amp as well,

there's ya some Tech talk for ya...

Quote by vanhalenfan33
ok ikey_.......i was being nice to everbody for giving me constuctive advice, but your a complete ass. as i said, i dont have enough money to go buy a nice 1000 dollar amp like you probably have. so for you to just tell me my stuff is shit b/c i cant afford top of the line....(complete ass!!!), and if you paid attention to my initial post you noticed that we play nirvana/metallica. why dont you see if they ever play on 5. or some quiet blues shit. no they put it up to 10. kick ass for an hour. then leave. so dont try and tell me how to have a band. an the next time you practice with your band, assuming youre in one since you know it all, why dont the next time you guys practice, go into a 10x10 room, put a drum set 12 inches away from you, tell him to play as hard as he can, then turn a 75-watt up to 10 and tell me if you can even hear it. sound good? bye.

Ok, I'm not going to be an ass... As people have said, in a couple of different ways is that speakers simply transmit the sound that is produced by the amp...

have you tried to plug your amp into anybody elses speakers to see if it fixes your problem? The problem that you're describing sounds exactly like a solid state amp that is getting ready to blow... . You not having the money to get a better amplifier isn't really relevent to your problem. I feel your frustration, but with the information that you've given us, it's my fairly educated guess that it's your amp...

been in bands for 40 years.. but I'm no expert... take your amp into a tech and have him check out the "fragile transistor thingies"
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Oct 25, 2011,
Quote by vanhalenfan33

I'm pretty sure they leave their amps on around 2 and Mic it. P
SS clipping doesn't sound like tube so your amp will probably sound bad on 10. And that's pretty loud so hope your not trying to act badass and stand in front ignite without any headphones or earplugs.
If you can't afford another amp then save till you can. Changing speakers isn't worth it.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
haha the fragile transitor thingies. haha. but yeah i know unfortunatly that my amp is about to blow, but thats the consequences i face. so i guess time will tell, i have to wing it and see how much longer it lasts. plus its only basement playing, we have never played live yet. and to JKHC, i would love to be able to mic everything but its kinda hard in a small basement. were young and dumb and just play loud. although, we dont play crappy, only note for note or very similiar. never do we play a song we dont know and always wear the earplugs. so no badass act going on here haha.
Quote by Papabear505
that speakers simply transmit the sound that is produced by the amp...

They do a bit more than that FYI. They do color your tone and can produce distortion. That is why I recommended a high wattage transparent speaker because on paper it should sound better with a modeling amp.
Sorry vanhalenfan but ikey is right. Louder is not better. Do you realize that Metallica also goes to arenas where they have PA systems and do not have to turn it to 10.

You would be polishing a turd by replacing the speaker.

Please just take our advice or please leave. You aren't going to get any other helpful advice from the rest of the regulars here.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
They do a bit more than that FYI. They do color your tone and can produce distortion. That is why I recommended a high wattage transparent speaker because on paper it should sound better with a modeling amp.

On papers great... and you are correct, they do more...

I figured the level of tech talk that I used was sufficient with the "fragile transitor thingies" and he wasn't looking for a class in Amplification...

besides.. he doesn't want his sound colored... he just wants it mind splitting, ear bleeding LOUD!!!!!
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Cathbard

You need a new amp.

Cathbard, that may be the funniest damn thing I've ever seen on this forum. Well done sir.

TS I can't imagine how bad a spider sounds with a blown speaker... I mean they don't sound so great right out of the box. Running it at max volume on top of it... that's just a recipe for molten electronics. Cheap practice amps are not meant to be pushed that hard.

And I'm not sure I understand your logic... You want to spend $100 fixing the crappy spider, but if you get a new amp it can only be a $1000 mesa... does not compute. There are a TON of amps out there that blow the spider away, and can be picked up used for a couple hundred bucks. Spending money repairing a spider is like wiping your ass with dollar bills. You're just wasting money on crap.

Seriously... don't bother with it. Move on. You'll thank us later.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
i dont have anything close to top of the line ear. in fact, i have asian made budget gear - i just have expesnive tastes and do what i can to make everything i own sound 10x better than it should.

i know spiders suck because i own one. a 15 watt spider 3. i bought it years ago and i dont play it cause it is aweful. instead, i get a 1/8 inch chord and use it as my permimnent i pod dock for cook outs and house parties.

and yes i am right. some amps sound good cranked, but even cranked does not mean maxed. it means turned up. what i am saying is no artist is going to walk on stage confidently knowing hes maxed out and STILL might not be loud enough (or too loud). what if you need more juice? if your map is on 10 and your drummer starts going nuts....well your phased out and there is not a darn thing you can do about it.

a spider solid state is not a loud amp. if your already maxing it, well, chances are you should get another amp.

i have played in a 10x10 storage unit with a drummer who beats teh crap out of his drums.

40 watt fender deluxe reverb > drummer. (my ear that is closest to teh amp ringing is proof. amp is generally not above 4 on the master). and its not my amp.

i am currently sutting next to a bugera v22 in my room. i paid 350 for it. i live in an apartment. i am saving for a nice amp now that i am out of college and dorms. i borrow others peoples 1000 dollar amps.

dot jump to conclusions. i never said anything - you assumed. i simply stated spiders suck, which is a scientific fact.
i dont get your "have a $1000 amp" BS. you do know that there are plenty of good sounding amps other than the mesa you mention that can be found used for <$400-$500. then you sell that and get something else. that would pass for the time. if you want a decent tube amp look at a Peavey Valve King combo of some sorts, they go for $300 on CL all of the time. it isn't the best amp but with and OD and different speakers will sound pretty good. i owned the head for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you just want a stopgap measure it won't matter what you stick in there really. If that is your goal then get something cheap and stick the money you save into an amp fund. Take a look at some Weber speakers, they have some quite good quality, low cost speakers that will get you out of trouble. Either that or have a look at WGS. Just find something cheap that will handle the power.
The suggestions people have made will work but it's a lot of money to spend trying to polish a turd.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
TS I hate to say it but its new amp time. Amps like the Spider do not go well in band situations. With a decent tube amp you not need to turn up to 10 ever again. You could probably find a Valveking 1x12 combo used for very cheap and it would stand up to a band way better. Its also a versatile amp and a good amp to mod and mess with if you want to get into that. A Vypyr tube 60 would also suit your needs but I think you could find a Valveking for cheaper.