So i got my first tube amp today, an used mesa boogie f-50. (Im gennerally a pretty big noob when it comes to amps)
Its really loud, much louder than my old roland cube 80x.
So how do i get the sound lower and still play "crancked"? It has two tubes. Can i cange the tubes or remove one to get less volume?
Sorry that this probably was a very noob question, but please answer me.

Edit: Also can i just put the attenuator between my guitar and my amp?
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Oct 15, 2011,
You dont

Or you buy an attenuator, but that wont really do it either.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Never remove tubes from an amp, it can work but its not good for the electronics in the amp they are designed to run with a certain load throughout the amp. There are three ways to get that delicious tube sound.

1. Attenuator: Something like a THD Hotplate or Dr. Z Air Brake which will lower the output signal of the amp allowing you to crank it, get that nice power tube distortion without pissing off the neighbours. Some people say this is a tone sink and will effect your sound, I have no comment on that personally.

2. Get a clean line booster and place it in the front of your chain. This will allow you to drop the volume real low on your amp, and use the input gain of the line booster to drive your tubes into the saturation zone.

3. Take it back and get a comparable 5W tube amp instead!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
You can get an attenuator and it will help you get pretty close, but you will still be missing a major part of the sound which is the speakers pushing air. It still sounds better, I use my attenuator with my Jet City almost all the time even if I'm playing pretty loud anyway.
Quote by ChrisBW
You can get an attenuator and it will help you get pretty close, but you will still be missing a major part of the sound which is the speakers pushing air. It still sounds better, I use my attenuator with my Jet City almost all the time even if I'm playing pretty loud anyway.

Ok, cool dude! Pretty close is close enough for me.
What attenuators shuld i look after? Does what kind of attenuator you have make a big impact on the tone? Do i need to pay alot for it?
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by ne14t
Never remove tubes from an amp, it can work but its not good for the electronics in the amp they are designed to run with a certain load throughout the amp. There are three ways to get that delicious tube sound.
And you can change the load by turning the impedance switch. If you run with half the output tubes you switch to the next lower impedance setting. Bada bing bada boom, you've just changed the load - magic huh?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The f 50 only has two power tubrs, so you cant remove half the tubes to halve yhe wattage. Find an attebuator, or an effects loop volume control.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Ah, yes. You can't pull tubes on an amp with two power tubes - except for some rare class A jobbies. Excuse me, I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And you can change the load by turning the impedance switch. If you run with half the output tubes you switch to the next lower impedance setting. Bada bing bada boom, you've just changed the load - magic huh?

Where can i get a switch like this? Is it on my amp?
Quote by Usernames sucks
Where can i get a switch like this? Is it on my amp?

No. That was what you can do on an A/B amp with four power tubes. You have two so it isn't an option.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Usernames sucks
Ok. But can i change my tubes to get a more silent amp?

I don't know if there are EL34 yellow jackets so you can use EL84's or 6v6's, but I wouldn't do it.

Buy an attenuator, you can use it on every amp you will buy, so it's a good investment. If you wanted a quiet amp, then you should get a nice modeling amp or something.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Not really. It may be possible to run 6V6's in it like you can with a Fender but I have never heard of anybody trying it. It isn't going to reduce the volume by that much anyway even if it did work. An attenuator is about the only thing that may work for you and even then it's not going to be perfect.
Btw the sort of attenuator people are talking about goes between amp and speakers and they aren't cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There is a reason why people buy low wattage amps.

There is no real good way to reduce the volume down to low levels. A big part of the cranked amp sound is just getting it good and loud so the speakers are pushing more air.

I suggest you try out an attenuator somewhere before spending $300 on one and not being satisfied with the results. Here are impressions on how an attenuator is best used. If I'm sitting in my practice room by myself with my amp cranked, I can cut down 4-8 dB off my amp with my attenuator and there is barely any discernible difference to my ears. I still have to wear ear plugs. But in a full band, if I cut off that extra 4 dB, then it makes a pretty noticeable difference with how my sound sits in the mix and I am no longer drowning anyone out with my volume.

Long story short, if your amp is pissing off your neighbors, it will still piss off your neighbors with an attenuator unless you're taking off about 16-32 dB and there is a huge amount of tone loss at that point (literally my amp will sound like a broken transistor radio at those levels).
volume knob
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED