Well - I use a lot of finger ease on my strings, and since its citrus-based, would citrus-based furniture polishes such as Behold, etc, be safe on strings? I heard you can use it, but I just wanted to be safe.

Since finger ease is getting too damned expensive, would it be okay to substitute furniture polish?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
From what I have been told the silicone basing of most furniture polishes IS NOT healthy for the finish of your guitar.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
how much do you pay for finger ease?? i pay 3.95 a bottle where i live. granted i live 20 minutes from its manufacturing plant.
Its about 7-8$ a bottle where Im from.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
+1

no for silicone based products.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
On most electric guitars, there's very little exposed wood. Silicones are prevalent in automotive waxes, where they're very effective against the sun and weather.

Most arguments against wax, come from the acoustic camp, where it is believed that "wax build up", will change the tone of the instrument. I doubt that would be the case with a solid body guitar.

If you're freaked out about silicones in waxes, I suggest seeking a natural carnuba wax based compound.

Bear in mind that both lacquer and polyurethane guitar finishes, are mostly identical to their counterparts in automotive finishing anyway. Most car waxes are cleaner/ waxes. That may not be the best case, but I'm uncertain if non cleaner waxes are still available. As infrequently as a guitar has to be waxed anyway, I even wonder if that's worth worrying about.

Since we've established that Old English Lemon Oil is OK to use on fret boards, from time to time, I'd use that for the board.

However, it mostly just bounces off polyurethane. Well first it smears for a bit. It's intended purpose is for more porous wood finishes.

Keep in mind the all these boutique products aimed strictly at guitar owners, are (IMHO), overpriced, commensurate with preying on the musician's paranoia about damaging his prized possession.

As far as "finger ease" and the silicone lubricants it contains, meh, I've heard that Eric Clapton has said, he likes to eat fried chicken before he plays. (Fact or urban legend, who knows)?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 14, 2011,
Why do you need finger ease? What is that?

You should just be using fretboard lemon oil about every 6 months or so, and not on the strings.
Quote by W4RP1G
Why do you need finger ease? What is that?

You bet! Real men use fried chicken or nothing....!
Quote by Captaincranky
You bet! Real men use fried chicken or nothing....!

I could make a great joke out of that.....
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by LZRocker
I could make a great joke out of that.....
No offense intended, but I thought I already did.....
Quote by Captaincranky
No offense intended, but I thought I already did.....

was it racist?
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Finger ease? Lemon oil? WTF is this shit?

Just play your guitar and let it age. It already decreased in value by 55% after you plucked the first string for the first time.
I play my guitar like I live life; upside-down.

Gear:
Sender Fratocaster
LTD Phoenix-200
Fender Sonoran
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fender Mustang V 412
Quote by Captaincranky
you know, I'm not exactly sure......

WARNING: RACIST TERM AHEAD.

lol. I was gonna tie in the fried chicken thing with ******s somehow
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
My best advice would be to google Fret Doctor. Do not use furniture polish. I used Finger Ease almost 40 years ago. I'm amazed it's still made!
be careful, i know nitro'd guitars react different to cleaners differently than thier poly counterparts. make sure if you are cleaning a guitar with nitro, that you use something nitro safe. i messed up the nitro on a spot while testing it in an inconspicous place on one of my guitars. i dont know what is proper though for nitro, but do not use the yellow dunlop 65... cause that is what didn't agree with my little spot of nitro.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have used GHS Fast Fret and Dunlop Ultraglide 65 on my strings and I have used Dunlop 65 on the fretboard (the yellow stuff he spoke of) and have had no problems so far (except allergy to Fast Fret). I also use Pledge on my body, headstock, and back of neck. Just don't use the Pledge on the fingerboard, it's better to stick to stuff made for unfinished wood on the fingerboard. Pledge is for finishes.
Just use plain mineral oil from a drug store. It costs a couple dollars and a bottle will last for years. Just dab a little on the tip of a Fast Fret applicator once a year and you're set.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
I have used GHS Fast Fret and Dunlop Ultraglide 65 on my strings and I have used Dunlop 65 on the fretboard (the yellow stuff he spoke of) and have had no problems so far (except allergy to Fast Fret). I also use Pledge on my body, headstock, and back of neck. Just don't use the Pledge on the fingerboard, it's better to stick to stuff made for unfinished wood on the fingerboard. Pledge is for finishes.

+infinity. If you are gonna use something on your stings, use Fast Fret, will last you forever, and is extremely cheap.
Why not just use what's meant for it?
$8 a bottle is only bad if you use a bottle a day
I clean my guitars regularly and still have my little bottle of dunlop 65 I bought probably 2 years ago
Synyster Special
Schecter PT 30th Anniversary
Schecter Damien-6

Sold:
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Schecter C-1 Custom
Schecter Synyster Custom (finish defect)
Schecter C-1+
Do NOT use mineral oil. Everybody, do yourself a favor and check out Fret Doctor. Their site has a lot of great info about why you shouldn't use many things on your guitar.
First off - I use a shitload of finger ease. I like my strings to be smooth as a babys ass. A bottle generally lasts me a week or two, and I just want a cheaper alternative. So far I just spray the citrus polish onto a cotton pad and wipe my strings down, then dry them off with another towel. I just tested it on my bass and dayum are the strings smooth. Im not worried about it getting on the finish, I just need to lube my strings.

With that purpose in mind - will citrus based polish such as Behold, Pledge, etc do the trick?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
you should not use silicone based products on a guitar.

why do you keep asking?
that's the right answer
but do what you want just know
if you do, then never take that guitar to a shop

or you might contaminate other guitars.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by jj1565
you should not use silicone based products on a guitar.

why do you keep asking?
that's the right answer
but do what you want just know
if you do, then never take that guitar to a shop

or you might contaminate other guitars.

Jesus you act like silicone is radiation. Everyone has said it can be bad for finishes, not strings. As I said, it never touches the finish.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by thehikingdude
Do NOT use mineral oil. Everybody, do yourself a favor and check out Fret Doctor. Their site has a lot of great info about why you shouldn't use many things on your guitar.
+ 1

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
4. Mineral oil merely coats the surface, giving it a bright sheen, but does not penetrate the wood. This oil prevents absorption by a plant oil after the fact. This includes most bore oils, but not all. Read the label. Most so-called fretboard treatments and bore oils are no more than inexpensive mineral oil with a scent added, like lemon.

5. Silicone-based furniture polishes also make it shiny but prevent later penetration in the short term. Silicone also eventually migrates into the wood, integrating with the cellulose structure and breaking it down.
Quote by Lovecannon
Jesus you act like silicone is radiation. Everyone has said it can be bad for finishes, not strings. As I said, it never touches the finish.

They are saying do not use it on a guitar period.
I would be worried if they say not to, because the strings do touch the fret board.

Try to find a cheaper alternative online, Of course guitar center is probably charing $8 a bottle for something you can get online for $3
Synyster Special
Schecter PT 30th Anniversary
Schecter Damien-6

Sold:
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Schecter C-1 Custom
Schecter Synyster Custom (finish defect)
Schecter C-1+
Lemon Pledge!!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

No, do not use furniture polish anywhere near your guitar. It will dry out any exposed wood and it can perminantly stain some kinds of finish while doing nothing for others. There's no point to trying it, at best it will do nothing and at worst and very likely it will **** things up.
Quote by Lovecannon
First off - I use a shitload of finger ease. I like my strings to be smooth as a babys ass. A bottle generally lasts me a week or two, and I just want a cheaper alternative. So far I just spray the citrus polish onto a cotton pad and wipe my strings down, then dry them off with another towel. I just tested it on my bass and dayum are the strings smooth. Im not worried about it getting on the finish, I just need to lube my strings.

With that purpose in mind - will citrus based polish such as Behold, Pledge, etc do the trick?

Honestly dude, why do you need the strings to be so slick? Most people dont use anything on their strings period, and they manage just fine.

If you really insist on your strings being so slick, why dont you try out some flat-wound strings?
Quote by Lovecannon

i didnt say it was bad for finishes.

it's just like radiation.

if you use it on your guitar, and take it into a shop.
and he uses his tools, rags to set up your guitar,

the silicone transfers to his work area and the next guy
can't refinish his guitar.

you asked a very straight forward question.
"furniture polish, is it safe?"
and i gave you a straight forward answer.
no it's not.

choose to ignore it if you wish, but dont shoot the messenger.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 16, 2011,