Hey guys,

I'm almost done building the neck on my guitar. i was wondering how i would finish the fretboard. i want it dark like ebony but its rosewood. theres stuff on stewmac.com but im not sure if you have to put a clear coat over it. also is it ok to get it on the nut and frets (the clear coat) thnx!
fiebings leather dye, is what you want. That's the stuff stewmac sells, works really well, makes everything very black and doesnt rub off down the track with sweaty fingers. It will stain your inlays and nut however

Chur
Quote by Lightbluemk2
fiebings leather dye, is what you want. That's the stuff stewmac sells, works really well, makes everything very black and doesnt rub off down the track with sweaty fingers. It will stain your inlays and nut however

This.....you can wipe it off the inlay's with thinners, not sure if it will take it off the nut (or binding)
I use regular old leather dye to get ebony to solid black (since there's usually grey stripes in straight ebony).

It should work with rosewood, but I haven't tried it since usually if I want black I'll go ebonol or ebony, depending on whether it's fretless or not. You don't need a clear coat for it.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by JCGGUITARS
i want it dark like ebony but its rosewood. theres stuff on stewmac.com but im not sure if you have to put a clear coat over it.
Don't put a clear coat on rosewood fretboards, just use the dye and leave it at that.

Rosewood is an oily wood and so the clear coat will not stick to it very well, you would need to wipe the wood down with something like naptha first to clean all the oils and then quickly shoot the clear coat, but its not worth it for a rosewood fretboards they have been around for so long without clear coat it must not be a problem.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
An alternative answer that may only make the neck slightly darker is a mix of vinegar and steel wool. Put some steel wool in vinegar, wait til it dissolves, add more until it's a saturated solution, wipe down the fretboard with it (dip a rag in the solution, don't just poor it on the neck) then after a while (10-20 minutes) wipe the neck down in ammonia. Preferably lemon scented (if you want your guitar to smell nice, there's really no other reason for lemon scented).