I'm an acoustic guitar player learning to play electric. I'm starting out with a HSS Fat Strat and need to find an amp. I know that the best thing to do is sit at a guitar store and try a ton of amps -- which I will do, but I just want some guidance so I don't end up trying 100 amps! Using the template in the sticky:

Budget? $500, or if it's an insane deal, up to $1000.

Genres? I'm new to electric, so I want versatility (that's why I went with fat strat). But aside from the usual electric stuff, I'll also be going for an experimental/ambient/post-rock/alternate tunings sound -- but with heavier bass than usual, more droning. Reverb/delay heavy, with some wall-of-sound-type loops and such. I'm looking for something with a good low end (since I might not be playing with a bass player often), good EQ controls (for that same reason and others), and a versatile sound that can take a lot of effects. I don't plan to play very chimey stuff, more like deep and rich and lush, a bit washed out at times even.

New or Used? Preferably used.

Home or Gig? - I'm getting started, so, home for now, but I want to gig eventually.

Closest City? - Chicago.

Current Gear? - Fender Fat Strat HSS, Boss delay and looper, still looking for a reverb pedal, mosfet OCD.

Other stuff -- I'm pretty sure I want to go with a tube amp (I'm aware of extra expense, etc.). I would be willing to consider a head+speaker or a combo. Just need to narrow down my potential list of amps to check out a bit.

Thanks!
Last edited by deathletter at Oct 15, 2011,
Thank you for using the sticky. +1

JCM800, perhaps?

Or possibly a Vox AC with a nice OD pedal?
Where's Waldo?
JCM800 is the answer to everything.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by chadreed32
Thank you for using the sticky. +1

JCM800, perhaps?

Or possibly a Vox AC with a nice OD pedal?

JCM 800 is pretty pricey, seems like about $1000 just for the head, but I'll look into it more. AC-15 sounds nice, but in this video seems to be less heavy and bassy than Fender deluxe/twin/etc.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5RSaECdCrQ
Fender Bassman maybe? Blackface is best.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I'd want a Laney VH100R 'twer I you. That's about as versatile as you can get in a tube amp. Maybe a Mesa Mark IV if you can find one in your pricerange kicking around. Also very versatile. I'd still go for the Laney though - if you can find one you can afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Could those of you who suggested Bassmans and Laneys give more info as to why you like those? Just asking since I haven't heard much about them in my time.
Laneys are a solid amp. The VH is a two channel version. You wanted versatility, the VH100R has all the versatility you'll ever need.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification